How to move on after a bad job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacytree

Reaction score
I've recently had a client for Gel nail enhancements that I was not at all proud of. I seemed to take ages and they just didn't look good enough. I'd love to contact her and offer a free or discounted re balance to "clear my name" if you like. I hate the idea of someone walking around with bellow par nails. I'm so new to all this and love the idea of building a solid business with word of mouth. NOT going to happen with those nails. :(

So, my question is.
How do you move on when you are not happy with a set of nails? Offer to fix them? Try just to learn by your mistakes? Or any other suggestions.

Awww I wanna give you a hug!

I qualified last June. Left my full time job to be self employed. I worked above a hairdressers. New client came to me at Christmas for L&P and I just didn't file them enough so when she asked for them painted - they were awful - incredible uneven.

Because of my inexperience I actually let her leave like that and said nothing (i did make some excuse about a discount and knocked off £5) but she had a hair appointment downstairs straight after and I knew all of the girls would ask to see her nails etc. I literally felt like crying say upstairs in my room.

I considered contacting her and offering a free set, just like you. I then thought if I've Lost her, I've lost her as she'll have no faith in my work if I do that and it's not like she's complained to me.

I honestly felt so low when I thought about her appointment.

Three weeks later I nearly fell off my chair when she texted me for another appointment. I fixed the botched nails and she's now a regular! She even followed me when I left that shop!

The only way I pick myself up is to put it down as experience. I won't let them leave until I'm happy (not that they're held hostage!)

Big hugs x

Ahhh That's exactly what happened with me!!! It wasn't until I started panting them that I saw how uneven the free edge was. I totally agree that it is inexperience and confidence maybe. Not wanting to say you've made a mistake. I think I'm just embarrassed 'cause I know I can do better. Do you think I'd look worse if I offer a free re balance?

Oh and by the way. I'd take you up on that cuddle if you weren't so far away. hahaha

And maybe I'll try your hostage technique next time ;)

All u can really do is learn from it, u can't give a discount or offer freebies of sorts because as the above
Poster said the client may pick up on ur lack of confidence in ur own work and that could put them off or worse they could start expecting it all the time.

ur new we all have to practice in order to get to the level we want to be at.

Chin up sweets we've all been there. X

I know exactly how you feel "hugs", i am still feeling horrible about a set of gel nails i did yesterday that i was not satisfied with the end result, the best advice i got about it and the one i am giving you is make that a lesson, even if she doesn't come back other clients will and be sure to not repeat the mistakes you did with her, that is what i have been telling my self to feel better, i wouldn't offer a free re balance but maybe offer her a "special" price on her next appointment or something like that.

Thanks Geeks. I will definitely not make the same mistake again. Guess I just need to get over it and do better next time. :Grope:

And I can see what you mean about not offering free re balanced. It does make me seem less competent.

I know exactly what I did wrong and if I am lucky enough that she comes back then I will just make them as they should be. I've gone back to white builder instead of GHG french white paint. I've been practicing all day on colour pops and a fake hand. Feels much better. Just hope I get the chance to rectify hers.

Sorry I sounded a bit whiny. Won't happen again. lol

OK let's think about this.

YOU aren't satisfied with the job
YOU know you can do better
YOU have learned from this and will be a better tech for it.

Don't beat yourself up too much. Of course it's hard and a painful lesson BUT
this is how we learn and grow (myself included).

Nobody was born being able to do perfect nail enhancements we need to learn, study hard and practice, practice, practice. The fact that you are aware of where you need to improve is to be applauded and and this in itself will help you progress and do better work.

Your client is probably over the moon with her nails, they may be the best she has ever had, you don't know that she is unhappy with them. Next time she will be even happier.

Be a bit kinder to yourself :hug:

Thanks GoodMonkey. They are very kind words indeed.

I agree. I'll just need to keep it to myself and hope she comes back. ;) She did say she was delighted even when I saw her a week after. I am very critical of anything I do. I think I may need to toughen up a bit so I can cope if/when a client has a complaint.

Thanks all again.

Hey babe
I agree with goodmonkey, we are our own worst critic. We have ALL had this happen. We just have to suck it up, learn from it and be the best we can be. Like you said the client was happy, so you be happy! It shows your a good tech because of how much you did care right:hug:

Just remember what you learned and know you arn't the only one this has happened to.
Good luck :) xoxoxo

Thank you Jocie.

I really appreciate your kinds words. :)

Latest posts

Back