How to succeed in nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing post.

I've trained with cnd but am still at the practising stage as not yet confident in going "out there"! I am currently trying to decide on a name so I can prepare business cards/website etc.

I'm from an investment banking background dealing with very important people on a daily basis and never being phased and yet have found my confidence v low starting afresh at something like nails. i now have two children under two and wanted to do something for myself that i enjoy and that is flexible around the children. I feel nervous about taking on something like this as I've had to start from scratch but hearing many of you say it doesn't happen overnight makes me realise I have a lot of work to do but that it is possible to succeed so thanks for the confidence boost.

hun, you have started with the best training so you cant go wrong! If you passed your course then get yourself out there even just on family and friends and dont tell them your practising! give them and introductory offer and explain that after a month or so prices will go up....if you tell clients (whether they are friends or not) that you are not confident you open yourself up to letting them find fault in your work so at least ACT confident!

Yes it does take time to get going, to have regulars or even clients at all, especially when there is so much competition these days but keep at it, dont offer cheap silly prices where you are not making money or are having to work twice as hard to earn a decent living and figure out what your USP is, what sets you apart from the rest??x

Thought I would add a bit to this thread and cannot believe i started it nearly 6 months ago!! where does time go?

Ive been really busy of late, had a really quiet start to the year but made the most of that quiet time by doing some courses and of course attending the event!!

I have been adding to my treatment menu but still specilising in nails, ive added L+P extensions which are going great, i did a set on the most bitten nails ive EVER seen and they are still on 3 weeks later...so glad i did that extra training and refined my skills in that area. I am now adding paraffin wax to my treatments as an add on to any manicure/shellac/gel service. Ive also joined up with a local business that sells jewellery/bags/gifts and im stocking a range of hers which is proving popular. Clients know that they can get a gift from me at short notice and its brought new clients through the door.

18 months into my home salon and i am having to tell clients to book in advance 1-2 weeks or i cannot guarantee an appt as i am so busy...feels nice to say that! For those of you just starting out it really isnt easy and there will be times when you think "will it ever happen"?....it will but you have to put yourself out there in every way you can.

I recently started a blog which seems to be going well, its a strange thing to do as Ive sometimes felt like im talking to myself lol. Ive also just got involved with a local business forum that is trying to find ways to help local businesses and reinvent our village (its more like a town now than a village) as some of the local high street shops are struggling and while others are flourishing and we are trying to work out why! So i am extremely busy and loving it! Compared to a year ago where i wondered what i was doing!! Keep at it ladies if you want it it will happen xx

Thought I would add a bit to this thread and cannot believe i started it nearly 6 months ago!! where does time go?

Ive been really busy of late, had a really quiet start to the year but made the most of that quiet time by doing some courses and of course attending the event!!

I have been adding to my treatment menu but still specilising in nails, ive added L+P extensions which are going great, i did a set on the most bitten nails ive EVER seen and they are still on 3 weeks later...so glad i did that extra training and refined my skills in that area. I am now adding paraffin wax to my treatments as an add on to any manicure/shellac/gel service. Ive also joined up with a local business that sells jewellery/bags/gifts and im stocking a range of hers which is proving popular. Clients know that they can get a gift from me at short notice and its brought new clients through the door.

18 months into my home salon and i am having to tell clients to book in advance 1-2 weeks or i cannot guarantee an appt as i am so busy...feels nice to say that! For those of you just starting out it really isnt easy and there will be times when you think "will it ever happen"?....it will but you have to put yourself out there in every way you can.

I recently started a blog which seems to be going well, its a strange thing to do as Ive sometimes felt like im talking to myself lol. Ive also just got involved with a local business forum that is trying to find ways to help local businesses and reinvent our village (its more like a town now than a village) as some of the local high street shops are struggling and while others are flourishing and we are trying to work out why! So i am extremely busy and loving it! Compared to a year ago where i wondered what i was doing!! Keep at it ladies if you want it it will happen xx

Wow! was it really 6 months ago?? Blimey!

Thanks for that little boost, am in the process of handing out my flyers and trying to get my name out there, so I won't panic if I'm not fully booked for a little while. :wink2: xx

Great post commenting sl I can find it later :) x

Some great info...... Will use some of these ideas! X

Wow! was it really 6 months ago?? Blimey!

Thanks for that little boost, am in the process of handing out my flyers and trying to get my name out there, so I won't panic if I'm not fully booked for a little while. :wink2: xx

i know cant believe it was 6 months either!!

Just wanted all of you to know that it does happen but it also does take time and even though i was turning people away last year I have still had weeks where i wondered where everyone had gone!! I just realised that people are tightening their belts a little and we have to keep coming up with ways to keep them interested! which is why i just introduced paraffin wax to upsell the manicures and pedicures that people are wanting with vinylux. I have a few other things im looking at too but wont rush into anything!xx

this is so helpful thank you! i will definately be doing these things once i qualify (still training for my nvq atm) but thank you so much!

if i have helped one person i will be happy! wish this site was around when i started out xx

fab thread... thanks very much!!! from a newbie (oldie) trained nail technician!!

Have only just found the plus thread but wow I'm so glad I did! The advise and support on this thread and the whole forum is brilliant! Lovely little update souz :) and it's great you are so busy!

XoX

well thought id add another little update!! things are happening so fast but im trying to stay calm lol

so things have been getting busier and busier, i am turning clients away as i just cant work any more hours than i do especially with all the other things going on! I have been networking with local businesses through the business forum in my village, we just had our first market and business fair on saturday which went really well. The blog is still going well but i havent been posting as much as ive been so busy.

On top of all that I am currently looking for premises!!have looked at a few and found one yesterday that is huge and an awful lot to take on but im thinking big!!!i would only take on half the building to start with and then the rest in a year maybe sooner once i decide what to do with all of it!!

some great advice on here

This is a really good thread! I have been working from home for 3 years and i was really busy until january when i lost a few clients to money problems etc. so i had the idea of making some posters with special offers for my local hair salons staff. I posted them around five local salons along with a cover letter for the manager asking if they would put my poster in the staff room, along with some business cards/price lists. My idea was discounted treatments for the staff then their customers would see their nails or lashes & ask where they got them from then they would hand them a business card & i would get loads of clients! Thats the idea anyway, I'm not sure if it will work but my hairdresser works in one salon who has my poster up in the staff room!

well thought id add another little update!! things are happening so fast but im trying to stay calm lol

so things have been getting busier and busier, i am turning clients away as i just cant work any more hours than i do especially with all the other things going on! I have been networking with local businesses through the business forum in my village, we just had our first market and business fair on saturday which went really well. The blog is still going well but i havent been posting as much as ive been so busy.

On top of all that I am currently looking for premises!!have looked at a few and found one yesterday that is huge and an awful lot to take on but im thinking big!!!i would only take on half the building to start with and then the rest in a year maybe sooner once i decide what to do with all of it!!

Ive read through your thread and want to say thank you for all the tips, and how amazing for you that your hard work is paying off !!

Where is Diva Rash ? Is it a small village ? Sorry for my ignorance, but could it be the location that's a problem ?

I would suggest Diva Rush if your still in the process of changing names .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

Being new to starting mobile, this thread is invaluable, thank you xx

so finding the ideal premises at a decent price around here is proving difficult BUT its not something to rush into either! It amazes me the price some are asking and the work that needs to be done in the properties! The large building i was looking at has got a lot of damp and as its a listed building and i would be responsible for the whole thing im not sure i want to take it on just yet. The other shop ive been looking at is in a more prominent position but again needs a lot of work and again is another very old building so who knows what problems could occur when revamping! Going to get a friend in to give me a quote on what they think.

Ive also been looking a bit further away but i know my clients i have wouldnt travel there so dont really think that would be a good option, after allive spent the last 18 months building up a client base that id like to keep!

Since joining the Business Forum in my village ive done quite a bit of networking and am now a prominent member of the committee (as im vocal and will speak up and say what i think!). I have a regular monthly stall doing glitter tattoos on the village green and advertising my business at the same time.

Ive been pretty manic the last few weeks and turning people away but this week is a little more normal so to speak! I say that and i have 4 shellacs booked in for between 6pm and 9pm tomorrow eve!! I havent been blogging much lately as havent had enough time so need to get on my blog this week and write some articles!

Hope everyone else is busy and thank you for all the lovely comments xx

4 months on and I am back!!! :)

I must say thank you so much for this thread it helped me so much, it actually opened my eyes and I was able to see all the faults and the positives too.

Since I decided to take some time out revise and understand where I wanted to head to with my journey in beauty.
Turns out I'm not a quitter, so even though I kept a low profile I was able to get prepared, refine my skills and a gave a little shake up to the whole business which brought a new light of hope.
I now offer Beauty, Nails & Hair services mobile and in my little warm, cosy home salon in Tunbridge Wells called Enlightening Beauty. I since had a few clients of which mainly regulars, but even though nothing major it's still better than nothing and my confidence is back on and stronger than ever.

I have revamped my website and I am currently awaiting my new business cards. This time around I'm even offering a few extra treatments and I have booking throughout next few weeks, which will be crazy busy since I have my final exams at uni...but cannot complain it's been great! Although I have a few discounted "introductionary" prices for a few treatments that I am still not 100% perfect but I have explained to my clients that I'm still training in those particular ones and they are very understanding and supportive :)

I have learned that a business based on only getting financial success will never go far, because success cannot be driven by money but by passion. Another super important lesson learnt is never try to be like other businesses, you can take inspiration yes, but never try to compare your creativity because it's unique to yourself and when you only think about competition it shows. Obviously it's good to be competitive but then it kind of becomes a no win race and it never ends and your passion will soon drift away.

Now I think only about my business Enlightening Beauty, I look around the "competition" but I am not faced at all because I know that what I have no one has or can even copy and that's why I never quitted in the first place.

It's going to be a long way before I can say the big "yes I made it", but today I can say "yes I never gave up!".

Thank you so much all x

Virgi

Virgi, thankyou for posting and im so glad you are back on your feet and confident!

We need to head about the negatives as it helps ALL of us look at ourselves in adifferent light.

Businesses that are there for profit only rarely succeed as there is too much focus on the money aspect and not the business itself....and yes in our industry passion is part of that.

Well done for achieving what you have, it takes a strong person to take time out admit their faults or weaknesses and learn from them.

If anyone hasnt seen my other thread i have found premises!!and subject to change of use it is mine!!landlord wants me in asap but dont know how long planning will take!! I am already decorating inmy head and buying bits!! It is not a shop and not on a high street BUT a studio with and upstairs and downstairs and i have a business next to me and opposite me and its on a busy road with a school etc so im confident i can make it work!!ive made it work from home so cant see why not!xx

Virgi, thankyou for posting and im so glad you are back on your feet and confident!

We need to head about the negatives as it helps ALL of us look at ourselves in adifferent light.

Businesses that are there for profit only rarely succeed as there is too much focus on the money aspect and not the business itself....and yes in our industry passion is part of that.

Well done for achieving what you have, it takes a strong person to take time out admit their faults or weaknesses and learn from them.

If anyone hasnt seen my other thread i have found premises!!and subject to change of use it is mine!!landlord wants me in asap but dont know how long planning will take!! I am already decorating inmy head and buying bits!! It is not a shop and not on a high street BUT a studio with and upstairs and downstairs and i have a business next to me and opposite me and its on a busy road with a school etc so im confident i can make it work!!ive made it work from home so cant see why not!xx

Congrats souz. Keep us updated x

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Latest posts

Back