How to succeed in nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow after reading this I feel so much better, I took from October until now off and I'm really disappointed in myself I missed out on so much revenue. However the time off has done me well now it's time to get back to it and crack on with gaining clients and making a go at my business. I'm now going to work on a new fb page get a website up and running I've booked my place for the upcoming beauty show in May now i know what I want and not afraid to go out and get it

This is a really inspiring post. I'm starting a nail course in September and these are all tips I will put into practice when I'm starting out.

Huge Thank you x

glad everyone is loving it and just wanted to say that no matter how much you do and how many clients you have there are always going to be quiet moments so never rest on your laurels and think you have enough......

at busy times i am turning people away even though i work longer hours then but yet this week has been dead for me xx

glad everyone is loving it and just wanted to say that no matter how much you do and how many clients you have there are always going to be quiet moments so never rest on your laurels and think you have enough......

at busy times i am turning people away even though i work longer hours then but yet this week has been dead for me xx

Yes, this is so true Souz, I think the best thing for any tech who is self employed, is to make sure in the busy times, you put a bit away of your wages for the slow times, so you have some income to ride you through.
Another good idea is, I try to take advantage of when my supplier has specials on stock I use. I stock up in the good times, so the bad times are not such a worry.

Brilliant thread 😊 xx

I think I am doing everything right but I started about almost 2 months ago and until now I had 0 clients...I am disheartened and my confidence is really low now, starting to question if this is really for me... I am kind of planning to sell everything (even if I spent a fortune on it) if this doesnt work within next week. What should I do???? I dont want to be a quitter but it's like the more i dont do nails on a daily basis the more i am losing my skills and confidence...what do you girls suggest?x

I think I am doing everything right but I started about almost 2 months ago and until now I had 0 clients...I am disheartened and my confidence is really low now, starting to question if this is really for me... I am kind of planning to sell everything (even if I spent a fortune on it) if this doesnt work within next week. What should I do???? I dont want to be a quitter but it's like the more i dont do nails on a daily basis the more i am losing my skills and confidence...what do you girls suggest?x

Where is Diva Rash ? Is it a small village ? Sorry for my ignorance, but could it be the location that's a problem ?

Where is Diva Rash ? Is it a small village ? Sorry for my ignorance, but could it be the location that's a problem ?

Diva Rash is the name of my business I am based in Tunbridge Wells. I have done a lot of market research before starting there are a lot of beauty salons in here already offering nails and beauty treatments but at triple the normal prices, so I thought I would offer more affordable prices but I am still using top brands and I think I would still make a good profit out of it even with reduced prices. But now I am just desperate for clients that the earning part is kind of becoming secondary to me as my passion for nails and beauty is just disappearing

There in lies your problem! If you are massively undercutting everyone else then clients will have the perception that you are cheap and nasty, despite the fact you use good brands. Don't sell yourself short and you'll attract good quality clients

Souz! big hug for this thread xx and to everyone else for their contribution :)

Diva Rash is the name of my business

Like JuicyLucy I am curious to know why you've chosen that as your business name?

I find the name quite off putting. Branding is very important & I personally would not visit a nail tech, or any beauty professional, that associated themselves with the word "rash". It is a word that only has negative connotations.

I think you should seriously reconsider your business name. Just my opinion though :hug:

Like JuicyLucy I am curious to know why you've chosen that as your business name?

I find the name quite off putting. Branding is very important & I personally would not visit a nail tech, or any beauty professional, that associated themselves with the word "rash". It is a word that only has negative connotations.

I think you should seriously reconsider your business name. Just my opinion though :hug:

Never thought of that as Rash stands for Rashida and is my second name...but yes it is probably true...I think I got to revise everything and start all over again. I appreciate your advices :)

Never thought of that as Rash stands for Rashida and is my second name...but yes it is probably true...I think I got to revise everything and start all over again. I appreciate your advices :)

Firstly, i also think your name is not helping you aswell as trying to undercut others, this does not work. You need to value yourself and your work and charge accordingley. If you believe in your work then why discount it? you will only have to work twice as hard as others to achieve the same salary?

Secondly, new businesses dont happen overnight or even in a few months. I say this time and again to people. It takes hard work, dedication and belief!! Although i had clients within 2 months they were probably all friends and family that had already been coming to me when i was working elsewhere. Id say it took 3-4 months before i started to get new clients as such and then gradually through recomendations from them i started to get others. Nearly 18 months on and yes i have plenty of clients, lots of them come to get their nails done for nights out and holidays etc only, i have regulars (can always do with more!!) and at the moment i am taking on new clients every week all from referrals.

So what i would say to you is get yourself out there and meet people, get your name out there any way you can whether its leaflet drops, local businesses that you could tie up with, local events etc and believe in yourself xx

good luck

just thought, instead of completely changing your name why dont you just add to it and have something like:

DIVA RASHIDA
Nails & Beauty

I also thought Diva Rashida sounded right. Rolls off the tongue and sounds exotic

it's really easy to succeed in nails, kick your competitors ass and do better nails, if you don't they are gonna kick yours, then you whinge and whine, you are either better than them or you aren't, it's quite simple, no point complaining when someone is clearly better than you, because.......... you can't compete if someone else is better than you .... and that's the truth

i agree in some respects but with this economic climate and clients following cheap deals it takes time for people to realise that you get what you pay for! Love the confidence though and attitude though, it will get you far xx

it's really easy to succeed in nails, kick your competitors ass and do better nails, if you don't they are gonna kick yours, then you whinge and whine, you are either better than them or you aren't, it's quite simple, no point complaining when someone is clearly better than you, because.......... you can't compete if someone else is better than you .... and that's the truth

Sounds a bit confrontational & in my opinion is nonsense. Being "the best" at nails will not make you succeed.

You must be a business person first & foremost. That's why some of the most talented nail artists in the industry struggle to run a profitable business.

There are other issues such as most beauty businesses are 1 person operations & sometimes life gets in the way - family, illness etc etc. There is no one to cover for you if something goes wrong & it can lead to a sudden downturn in business.

To state competition doesn't matter is ludicrous. There are only so many nails that can be painted & if more people are painting them it stands to reason your business will be affected.

Last year a space nk opened opposite one of my salons. We sold a very similar beauty range. My business suffered. It wasn't because we weren't better or more knowledgeable than their staff - it was because there was competition & they were new/exotic to our clientele.

It didn't last long - a few tweaks & profits are better than ever. But the businesswoman in me remedied the situation - not the nail artist :biggrin:

agreed. you can be great at nails but if no one knows where you are or who you are and if you cant manage your cash flow then you are a business doomed to fail! to run a successful business you have to be great at what you do as well as marketing, finance, budgets, organisation, cashflow or at least have someone behind you that can!

keep your ideas and opinions coming ladies, we are all inspiration for each other and the help to make sure we succeed and do not fail. Did you know that most businesses fail within the first 2 years and cashflow plays a major part in that. We are lucky in this industry in the fact that we are paid instantly for our services and not 90days like some industriesx

Amazing post.

I've trained with cnd but am still at the practising stage as not yet confident in going "out there"! I am currently trying to decide on a name so I can prepare business cards/website etc.

I'm from an investment banking background dealing with very important people on a daily basis and never being phased and yet have found my confidence v low starting afresh at something like nails. i now have two children under two and wanted to do something for myself that i enjoy and that is flexible around the children. I feel nervous about taking on something like this as I've had to start from scratch but hearing many of you say it doesn't happen overnight makes me realise I have a lot of work to do but that it is possible to succeed so thanks for the confidence boost.

Latest posts

Back