How to tackle this awkward situation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done for trying though! You'll be happier working somewhere else by the sounds of it :)
You never want to run someone elses business for them if you're not paying the wage! Good luck chick x

Thank you :) onwards and upwards I suppose. She will realise what she's done when I'm gone, which is a shame as then it will be too late. Xx

I just got out of a situation exactly like this. I had to resign to this job. The owner of the salon kept 50% of my services, I supplied my own material, my own prices. I wasn't making enough money to restock my material. She expected me to do her nails and managers nails for free, because she said that I was "in training" like of I didn't went to school for that. She helped herself to my tools and returned them unclean. I got to a point where it was enough. If I never got outta that place for once, I could still see myself stuck there for a few more months. I just told them straight out my economic situation and ended everything in peace for future reference in other jobs. It was hard but I'm glad I got over that. Now I am looking for a job closer to where I live. Since it was my first job at a salon, now I know what to look for and what is more convenient for me. Good Luck!!!!

Thanks. :)
Yeah pretty much the same as me. With all the cheap treatments she was getting me to do I was minus cash each week rather than earning when I worked out materials, petrol etc.
Even saying I'm leaving is like a weight off my shoulders, sounds stupid I know lol.
Xx

Spoke this morning, she didn't really listen at all. Kept making excuses to go outside. She knows she's wrong that's why she tried to avoid me.

I was calm, said everything I needed to say politely and not like I was digging her out. But it was like talking to a brick wall. She just spoke a load of rubbish & gave excuses for this & that.
She said she didn't buy herself tools & things as she doesn't really need them because she's hardly going to be there from now on as she can see I know how to run the shop by myself!! Basically the plan from the start was to get someone who will do her job & run things for her!!

I wish I could just leave right now :( so I'm looking for other places as we speak!

Ive decided that for my own sanity I can't work with her, she just takes the pee, and talking to her today I've realised that its just who she is and I doubt she will ever change.

Thank you all for your advice.
I'm still bloody angry at her but disappointed at the same time with the way things have gone as I was so happy there at the start. But such is life I suppose.
Xx

A huge high 5 for trying, now you know you have it in you to face a tough situation and deal with it and this will be a good thing for your future.

I truly believe everything happens for a reason, I know it's hard to feel this way at a time like this, when the future is unclear but I bet in 6 months you will look back and say "leaving was the best thing I ever did".

Have faith in yourself and the services you offer and you will find yourself in a much more positive job soon:)

Good luck and remember, positive thinking will get positive results:) If you say to yourself that a great salon job is going to fall in your lap, it will:)

Every business has a corporate climate. A 2 man shop or 100 store chain makes no matter. That is how the owner runs their business. The chances of changing the corporate climate are not in your favor. It's best to move on. Really pay attention when you look for your next place. Go first as a customer or send a friend. Call and ask questions as a customer. Watch how they interact with each other and clients. You're considering this work Environment as much as they are considering you! Ask them some questions about things that are important to you. How are their online reviews, FB comments and website. Good luck!

If your supplying all your own products shouldn't you have a bigger split? 60/40 or even 70/30 xx

Spoke this morning, she didn't really listen at all. Kept making excuses to go outside. She knows she's wrong that's why she tried to avoid me.

I was calm, said everything I needed to say politely and not like I was digging her out. But it was like talking to a brick wall. She just spoke a load of rubbish & gave excuses for this & that.
She said she didn't buy herself tools & things as she doesn't really need them because she's hardly going to be there from now on as she can see I know how to run the shop by myself!! Basically the plan from the start was to get someone who will do her job & run things for her!!

I wish I could just leave right now :( so I'm looking for other places as we speak!

Ive decided that for my own sanity I can't work with her, she just
takes the pee, and talking to her today I've realised that its just who she is and I doubt she will ever change.

Thank you all for your advice.
I'm still bloody angry at her but disappointed at the same time with the way things have gone as I was so happy there at the start. But such is life I suppose.
Xx

You poor thing. I would sit down and itemise a bill for all the products she has used and discounts she has given and all the freebies she has given! (Can't believe she gave free brisa lite to every client) Take it off your 50% split you owe her and if you absolutely can't get it back, at least when you leave, she'll know you'll have made your point and she'll know she cannot treat people this way!! All the best in finding somewhere xx

I think good reliable nail techs are hard to find, and all I can think is this woman will realise what she's lost when you've gone. She obviously thinks you're good - you do her and all her family's nails, so this will be a loss for her business. You do look at people like this and wonder a) Why do you run your own business, and b) HOW do you run your own business. She clearly has no people skills and by the sounds of it no nail tech skills either. Best of luck!

It sounds like you have the upper hand here really, If you're the only one who is CND Shellac trained then who will replace you when you've gone?

Going it alone can be scary but there seems to be lots of other techs on these forums that will give you helpful advice and support. You'll look back in a years time and see that this was the best thing that happened to you.

Without encouraging discounting too much, you've currently been working for a 50% cut AND supplying everything. Imagine then if you are willing to work for the same for a few weeks just how good your introductory offers could be!

Get yourself some cheap business cards, a facebook page and hit friends and family big time to help you with a launch -

Good luck
Steve :)

Jeez couldn't read and run

I feel for you, like above you've been working for 50% - products - discounts

Take your clients and run and earn 100% - products

Mobile is not for everyone but until you get something else it's better than being in that salon

Good luck & chin up 😊

It sounds like you have the upper hand here really, If you're the only one who is CND Shellac trained then who will replace you when you've gone?

Going it alone can be scary but there seems to be lots of other techs on these forums that will give you helpful advice and support. You'll look back in a years time and see that this was the best thing that happened to you.

Without encouraging discounting too much, you've currently been working for a 50% cut AND supplying everything. Imagine then if you are willing to work for the same for a few weeks just how good your introductory offers could be!

Get yourself some cheap business cards, a facebook page and hit friends and family big time to help you with a launch -

Good luck
Steve :)

Thats a fantastic way to look at it! :)

Thank you all for your advice. I really do appreciate it very much. Don't know what I would do without salon geek!
Just to let you know that from now on I officially no longer work there. It's a bit scary to say it out loud.

But I turned up this morning to see a printed sign offering a full set of acrylics & luxury pedi for £30!
she is not setting my prices and there is no way I am Using my products and doing all of that for £15.
So I packed everything I own (once again) and left, said I'm not going back.
Was I wrong?
Xx

No you were right!

Soooooo....What's your new business called? :)

Thank you all for your advice. I really do appreciate it very much. Don't know what I would do without salon geek!
Just to let you know that from now on I officially no longer work there. It's a bit scary to say it out loud.

But I turned up this morning to see a printed sign offering a full set of acrylics & luxury pedi for £30!
she is not setting my prices and there is no way I am Using my products and doing all of that for £15.
Was I wrong?
Xx

Was I wrong?
Xx

Well done you !!!! You were 100% right! You would be at a loss if you factor in products and time if you carried out that treatment for £15 ! She clearly does not have a clue and will be lost without you.

It will be her loss and your gain! I know it's very scary but you've done the right thing and handled it all very gracefully! Well done and good luck to the future ;) !!!! Xxx

Last edited:
No you were right!

Soooooo....What's your new business called? :)

Oh my god I don't have a clue! Haha
When I went in this morning I honestly had no idea I'd be leaving there for good.lol
I don't know where to start. :D

Well done you !!!! You were 100% right! You would be at a loss if you factor in products and time if you carried out that treatment for £15 ! She clearly does not have a clue and will be lost without you.

It will be her loss and your gain! I know it's very scary but you've done the right thing and handled it all dry gracefully! Well done and good luck to the future ;) !!!! Xxx

Thanks. :)
Lol I think I just needed someone to say you did the right thing as at first I was like 'oh s#it was I right?'
Xx

I expect you know in your heart, that you made the right decision:).
Things seem to happen for a reason, and with your talents, I'm sure something fab is round the corner. I think the name 'Cheeky Chicks' is perrrrrfect!

I expect you know in your heart, that you made the right decision:).
Things seem to happen for a reason, and with your talents, I'm sure something fab is round the corner. I think the name 'Cheeky Chicks' is perrrrrfect!

Aww thank you :)
And I never thought of that! The name just randomly popped into my head when I registered with SG ages ago and I forgot all about it. Thanks! Xx

Well done you! I think there comes the point of no return when you can walk away without a backward glance - maybe a scary forward one, but it sounds like you're dealing with it well. Good luck with your new venture! x

Well done you ... Wishing you all the best in your new venture - it'll work out much better.
I hate ppl using my stuff I'm quite particular about what iv spent on equipment and products and how I look after them - when I worked in a salon (50/50 split) I used their products but took my own tools
(Which I'd take home at the end of each day)
Again good luck
X

Well done you ... best thing... go it alone, you won't regret it, you have the experience, clients know you, go grab it, either mobile or work from home, or both if you want and can. Nothing like being your own boss. I have no regrets.

There's loads of help here for you.:hug:

Latest posts

Back