How would you deal with this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy Digits

Reaction score
I am not sure what do do, and it's a problem of my own making :smack:
Last year, as I was starting my new venture to become a nail tech, a friend of mine, who is pretty much house-bound, offered to be my hand model. All well and good, and she was very patient with me, so I have kept doing her service free of charge. Problem? I think she kind of expects me to continue doing it free of charge!!! My little mobile business is picking up slowly but surely, and it's harder work than I thought, if I'm being honest. But I love it! Financially, I think I'll be paying my husband back for the next 2 years, but we knew that before I got going. This is why it's awkward....another friend has said that it's about time my other friend started to pay for her service, and she thinks I'm being taken advantage of. Even my husband has asked if I regret asking her to be my hand model. I truly don't know how to sort it out :sad: I would appreciate any feedback, as long as it doesn't include ways to ditch a friend, I still love her to bits, even though I do feel a bit used :irked: Help!

Maybe pick a date for example the beginning of feb and say to her that as of that date you will have to charge her X amount to be able to cover your products & petrol (even if it's more) as you've spoken with your husband and simply cannot afford to do anyone's treatments for free as you had large product bills to pay?

As I am just starting I did that I said from January I will be charging for my service due to cost prices. Everyone has taken it well as they know the things I buy cost a bit and to keep providing the service I need money. X

Right, plan of action forming! I will follow your advice ladies. Seems so obvious now it's laid out so simply. Wish I'd asked last year :o
Thanks for replies, appreciate it :) and I'll let you know how it goes x

It is unfair to feel that you are being used as you made the offer and have been the one to allow it to go on for so long.

Time to let her know in a friendly fashion, that this cannot go on forever. Let her know that you are very grateful to her and that you have demonstrated that but that now it cannot and she cannot expect that to go on forever. If she has herself been thankful to you, then she will understand.

Ordinarily I would agree with you Geeg, and you're quite right - I shouldn't have let it go on for this long, but I think it started to bite a little when I started being asked for colour changes, french mani etc every 2 weeks. But point taken none-the-less, my fault for not putting a time limit on it. Hey, we live and learn. :o Are you in the UK at the moment? May see you this weekend?

Ordinarily I would agree with you Geeg, and you're quite right - I shouldn't have let it go on for this long, but I think it started to bite a little when I started being asked for colour changes, french mani etc every 2 weeks. But point taken none-the-less, my fault for not putting a time limit on it. Hey, we live and learn. :o Are you in the UK at the moment? May see you this weekend?
I just returned home. Alison. Ask Nigel when I'll be back and we should get together next time. :hug:

you stated she was your model. Were you taking photos? If so, then I'd say to her that now that you are busy you don't need to use her as a model. You hope she's happy with your work and you'd love to keep her as a client, but now you have to fill your day with those paying.

You're not ditching her as a friend. You can even offer her a "free" certificate for her birthday this year (only this year) but she had to know it was going to end and it was good while it lasted!

Aw thanks Solsken, I was actually thinking along those lines myself. She has been a lovely hand model, and I certainly don't want to lose a friend over this, and yes, Geeg was right (again, lol) it was my fault for not being clear about how things should be. Lesson learned, onward and upward. And thanks again.
Geeg, appreciate your comments, thank you. Will see Nigel and Sarah tomorrow, so that get-together may happen at some point. Kind regards to you both :hug:

Latest posts

Back