How would you go from red to brown?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol ooh I'm sounding really argumentative here, I'm not really! When ever I have had my hair coloured by a level 2 junior they have always had to have it checked with a senior bod first, or they have been in on the consultation process as well, so I' ve always been safe. Mind you I do tend to go back to the salon where I used to rent space in so I know I am in safe hands!

You have been very lucky then Sass,most are not :lol: x

Ummmm

Not to be argumentative...:wink2: but... I tried covering the red myself.
As a former hairdresser.

I've also tried 2 other VERY WELL KNOWN and HUGE hairdressers in town.
I figured "I've been out of the business a long time, things changed.. blah blah, new products, blah blah...."
Well, one has been in the business for well over 20yrs. She is "the" colour tech of 'the' best salon in town. All the others refer to her. (I know, because I used to work there years and years and years ago).
She tried to get rid of my red 2yrs ago.
Was NOT successful, and she did exactly as we all agree, use ASH.
And it was still hiding there, after a month, as the colour faded a tad and my red was peeking through a bit. With time, it shone through more and more (keep in mind, I was not retouching the roots, etc, I was trying to grow out my natural colour)

Same applies to the other salon with another very experienced tech.
Red refused to leave.

I think it's important to realize that not all reds are created equal. Some are harder to ditch than others.
Especially if the client has natural red/copper highlights and an inclination to go that way.

It's possible, but I would NEVER guarantee the red to be gone 100%

Victoria,maybe you could try Igora Royal,they run in line with the ICC and have tints with primary and secondary tones (ash) in this case,plus intense mixers (again ash) specifically for this type of thing,the ashen tone is intensified and i would be confident to counteract, all traces of red using the above colour.

Maybe give this brand a try,i recommend it highly.

Red tint molecules when oxidised are the largest,so they get well and truly stuck within the cortex,however unless your hair is very porous this wouldn't affect consecutive applications.

Very porous hair does cause colour fade,which shouldn't happen with tint if service is followed by an herbal antioxy which prevents further oxidisation and closes the cuticle,if this were the case i would then recommend using semi permanent colour,not only to maintain the required shade but to condition the hair and close the cuticle also hth's x

Lol, Becki you lost me after the word Victoria! You sure you're not talking Double Dutch there lol!

i have to have semi's on my hair.

my hair never holds colour no matter where i go or how much i pay!!
i have mousey hair and at the mo its dyed a chocolate colour.

since being advised to use semi colours its holds a little longer...eh..? strange but true girls..

not that this has anything to do with getting rid of red! sorry louiser xx

im only good at adding hair not colouring..lol xx

Sass,this would be classed as colour correction and therefore only level three students should be doing this,it's unlikely you would get it at training rate as they are fully qualified, hth's xx

Ive had colour correction before (don't ask) & i had it done at a really big salon & there were only 3 hair stylists that were able to offer colour correction. Two were senior technicians & the other was the owner.

Having said that i have had highlights over red hair by a level two junior stylist & she did a fab job but even with guidance from seniors there were still a few problems (orange would be a good description) finally got it all out now & blond again :)

Anyway my point was I do agree with what you are saying. It does seem like a very specalised procedure.

Hi
I too have had red and now am wanting to be brown again, my hairdresser used a permanent dye, and it was lovely for abt 2 weeks then of course it started to fade so inbetween I have used Casting by loreal in iced chocolate, and you know it covered much better. I think in some instances semi permanents work better?!

semi permanents become permanent if used over and over again, which is why you must always do the ten mins on the roots first, so the end of the hair doesn't become darker.

If you want a nice shade of brown with no red, go to a salon and ask for a base 5 brown. it's like a milk chocolate brown. I did this, and now i have a base 4 which is more like dark chocolate because i got braver. i have a copper tone in it (4.5 because its more like like brown rather than a red tone copper and i like to stay away from red now, had it too much in the past). so basically, my hair is dark chocolate brown with slight like a couple of copper streaks (not to many) just to give a bit of movement

Lol, Becki you lost me after the word Victoria! You sure you're not talking Double Dutch there lol!

:lol: :lol:
Actually, it's been so long since I've been out of the salon, she lost me on a few things too, I have to admit. (just a few though:lol: :wink2: )

And yes, I'm one of those people with ULTRA porous hair, go figure huh? My luck :rolleyes:
Even when it's only shoulder length, it required a triple batch of perm solution when I used to perm it, to completely saturate.
Anything I put on my hair, it sucks it riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight up.
BUT note: my hair is NOT damaged. It is in fact, very healthy.
I do NOT blowdry every time I wash it. At most, it sees a blowdryer twice a week. Usually, only once.
I never use straightening irons or curling irons neither.
Washed only every 3/4 days in winter, every 2/3 in summer.
No gel/hairspray/mousse.. nothing with alcohol.
The only abuse it suffers is once a mth, I retouch my roots with auburn.

I'm not familiar with Igora, never ever seen it out here in Montreal. I gather, it's strictly available to pro's and not to the consumers?

I admit, I hate having my hair done in the salon for colours as
A) I CAN do it properly as I used to be a professional
and
B)since it's so darn thick and long, I usually wind up paying through the nose (like triple what everyone else pays:irked: )

This is probably the closest pic I can find of my natural colour now (please note, that's not me haha).
Long Hairstyle - Photo of long Hair Style
Mousey brown, with natural blonde and copper highlights.. (I used to be a dirty blonde, then I got old LOL)
Now, I know I can't get that out of a bottle. I'd have to dye it darker, and then add highlights and let it all grow in together.

BUT the hairdressers have only been able to dye it a hideous dark brown to hide the red, that I HATED.. and looked horrid on my pale skin. Very severe.
Which is why I gave up and went back to Auburn.

This is the shade of my hair now, old pic, but haven't taken a more recent one yet.
Img_1619 pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots
Dark room, so the hair looks 'darker' than it is. If that makes sense.

Anyway, if you can tell me how to make my hair the colour it is in the first picture WITHOUT getting orange... then you are my HAIR-GOD.
it's official
LOL

I've tried it all over several years, every now and then, trying to go back.. and can't and give up and go back to Auburn because the alternative is YUKKERS lol
Other hairdressers can't do it.

Just tell me where to get the stuff, and I'll give it a chance.
:green:

OR maybe I just have "one of those heads" that poses a challenge LOL
My luck, huh? hehehe

:lol:

Yes Victoria it is a pro brand made my swartzkopf use a tint by them with violet tones to eliminate the gold hth's x

I'm not even gonna add anymore,but i do hope it's helped Louiser a little :lol: xx

You've helped no-end, thank you. I'm going to call round for some prices today, x x x

:lol:

Yes Victoria it is a pro brand made my swartzkopf use a tint by them with violet tones to eliminate the gold hth's x

I'm not even gonna add anymore,but i do hope it's helped Louiser a little :lol: xx

Swartzkopf actually retails in pharmacies here, but I don't know if it's the same one.:irked:

Will look into it.

Thanks!:green:

And good luck Louiser! I know how frustrated I've been whenever I've tried to go back to natural colour. :lol:

Latest posts

Back