I cannot believe this!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. Disagree. Where is the money now? What was it spent on? Not the treatment, that's for sure. The salon has taken the money and has not provided the service.

If I paid a plumber upfront to fix my leaking toilet and he never showed up....to me it's the same thing, voucher, expired voucher, doesn't matter. Money has been taken. Service has not been provided. Theft. Full stop.

Theft? Thats like saying if you bought a loaf of bread, forget about it for 6 months after the expiry date, and then return it to the shop complaining that you didn't get to eat the bread lol.

They had the voucher, they just didn't "eat" the treatment!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

OK. I can't read this anymore without contributing... This is the definition of theft from the legislation website:

Basic definition of theft.

(1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

(2)It is immaterial whether the appropriation is made with a view to gain, or is made for the thief’s own benefit.

Yes the OP has the money and has not provided a service because voucher has expired, but she did not sell the voucher with a view to not allowing the recipient use of it - she is not a thief and it is not theft. So please, stop saying it is.

When the plumber doesn't turn up we don't call him up and call him a thief do we?

This is not theft! All sorts of companies don't accept expired vouchers, large and small. If it was theft then it wouldn't be allowed and people wouldn't be able to do it!

Totally agree with the post about the bread. We sell organic products and I won't be giving my clients a replacement product if they haven't used it within the expiry date!

Please just remember that there is an actual person on the end of this theft comment who's probably going to be fairly upset by these accusations.

Everyone has a different opinion but I think it's getting a little out of hand :-/

I wouldn't worry too much about the use of the word "theft". It's an opinion, it's nothing more personal than that. So what, you guys don't agree, that is an opinion too. Both will spark debate. Personally I'm more disgruntled with the ridiculous advice given by some opportunists (sorry professionals) on the business forum, full stop!...

Last edited:
Guys.

I have NOT left the discussion because i don't like your answers. I always appreciate other people's views, but i also feel like i have the right to put my point across too to defend myself against those who are accusing me of being a 'thief'. That is the only reason i left the discussion as i feel it is totally unfair to accuse some one of doing that because you don't like their policies.

I know i asked if you thought that i handled it correctly, but i feel like the response was very hostile and unfair. Business is business, it is not personal however some of the posts from certain people on here cannot be seen as impersonal however you look at it.

I understand if the majority of people see the 3 months expiry as too short but it HAS NEVER been a problem for me. Just because one client is not happy doesn't mean i should change the way i run my business.

Bar one or two people, has anybody tried to see it from my point of view as a dedicated salon owner trying to stick by her own rules?? Surely if i didn't stick by my own rules i would be setting a bad example to staff. That could lead to all sorts of problems.

It seemed to end up as a bit of a witch hunt and it should not have ended that way. My responses may have been slightly more harsh than i usually would have been but surely you guys can see it was quite upsetting giving the nature of some of the replies. I'm only human.

To post on a professional site should be kept that way - no ganging up and demonising someone because they have different views and different ways of doing things to you regardless of if they have asked for advice or not.

mobile manicure - you certainly seem to have a problem with me even more than other people on here. Your posts have been particularly offensive and i would like to know why.

Any way, that's the end of it and i will now be putting this behind me as a lesson learnt to not put myself in a position where i could be accused of despicable things.

Thanks all.

Well done for not leaving the discussion. I think it is a shame that you have said how things have affected you, but people have gone on to repeat them. This is clearly not theft or stealing, but different viewpoints from fellow professionals, and we aren't always going to agree!

Unfortunately people don't always read their posts back to themselves which is why so many of them are virtually indecipherable, and some can come across as rude!

Good luck with your business x

A full price beauty voucher (not a discount voucher) is usually purchased and given with love to someone somebody cares for, to treat them. It is payment upfront for a treatment.

Sorry, you can't compare it to buying a loaf of bread. Where's the compassion in a loaf of bread? Who gives a crap about a loaf of bread? However if my husband bought me a voucher for a treatment and I couldn't redeem it I would be a lot more miffed than if my bread went stale and believe you me, I would be telling the world and his son about it. Especially in a small town.

Okay, maybe it's not theft. I stand corrected..but I feel it's morally wrong to take money in this way. I would personally feel really guilty having this money for nothing. Seems the world is a lot harder and colder these days. Such a shame. I wasn't brought up that way.

Theft? Thats like saying if you bought a loaf of bread, forget about it for 6 months after the expiry date, and then return it to the shop complaining that you didn't get to eat the bread lol.

They had the voucher, they just didn't "eat" the treatment!!

They didn't even take the bread home! They only paid for it and got a receipt for it! :confused:

A full price beauty voucher (not a discount voucher) is usually purchased and given with love to someone somebody cares for, to treat them. It is payment upfront for a treatment.

Sorry, you can't compare it to buying a loaf of bread. Where's the compassion in a loaf of bread? Who gives a crap about a loaf of bread? However if my husband bought me a voucher for a treatment and I couldn't redeem it I would be a lot more miffed than if my bread went stale and believe you me, I would be telling the world and his son about it. Especially in a small town.

Okay, maybe it's not theft. I stand corrected..but I feel it's morally wrong to take money in this way. I would personally feel really guilty having this money for nothing. Seems the world is a lot harder and colder these days. Such a shame. I wasn't brought up that way.

MM I wouldn't get yourself worked up about it. It's a pointless exercise, the OP will not change her views she has already said this, the others focused on the word "theft" and it's only an opinion. You just have high morals, nothing wrong with that......now follow me MM ...lets move on, this debate is over for us I think.

Sorry. Disagree. Where is the money now? What was it spent on? Not the treatment, that's for sure. The salon has taken the money and has not provided the service.

If I paid a plumber upfront to fix my leaking toilet and he never showed up....to me it's the same thing, voucher, expired voucher, doesn't matter. Money has been taken. Service has not been provided. Theft. Full stop.

and this is slander. full stop.

They didn't even take the bread home! They only paid for it and got a receipt for it! :confused:

The physical voucher is the bread. The value is in the fact he can say to his wife look at this thoughtful gift I have bought you! Otherwise why not just give her the cash?

I feel like it's like when people complain about paying 10000% interest on a wonga loan, yes it's not a good 'deal' but no one is forcing you to anything..

The poor OP came on here for some support and look what has happened! This is supposed to be a helpful place!

Surely when you receive a gift voucher, you check the expiry date and use it within that time, weather it's three months or 3 years! I think most people don't expect to be able to use a voucher that has gone out of date!

If you personally want to honour an out of date voucher that that's great, but equally, if you don't want to honour and out of date voucher, then that's also great! We can each run our businesses as we see fit!

Sorry OP, but if I was in your situation for starters I would have my expiry date within at least 12 months and I definitely would of honoured it as a gesture of good will. Gifts vouchers should only have expiry dates to encourage the customer to use it within that time frame. With that being said, they are morally entitled on having it extended, the money has been paid, you haven't used up any product nor have you spent any valuable time providing this treatment/service.
I wouldn't even think about this if it were me, however everyone runs their business differently!
If a business extended a gift voucher I would return without a doubt :)

The poor OP came on here for some support and look what has happened! This is supposed to be a helpful place!

Surely when you receive a gift voucher, you check the expiry date and use it within that time, weather it's three months or 3 years! I think most people don't expect to be able to use a voucher that has gone out of date!

If you personally want to honour an out of date voucher that that's great, but equally, if you don't want to honour and out of date voucher, then that's also great! We can each run our businesses as we see fit!

To be fair, the OP said;

"Have any of you experienced something like this before? And do you think i dealt with it correctly?"

That's asking for opinions on a forum. I really don't like it when it gets personal (and I've not been), I saw it as an opportunity to discuss how we see vouchers.

On the face of it it's a small subject, but clearly it extrapolates feelings on how we see our business in some kind of way. Which is interesting.

Anyway- good luck to the OP, hope the situation resolves itself. But what I WOULD say is, don't discount the opportunity to learn from other professionals and business owners by digging heels in on assumptions :) I change the way my design business works almost monthly based on things I'm learning, on here, on design forums and from my clients!

My last words on the subject would be the following (and this isn't really anything to do with the OP's question, just general observations, because I find it interesting, as I'm in a kinda unique situation where I design vouchers and voucher schemes all day long as a designer, but also we own a salon that uses vouchers too, so I see them on the "coal-face" so to speak).

When we sell vouchers in our salon I see it this way

1. We're flattered that people want to pay for our services in advance.
2. We're delighted when they come in to redeem it as it gives us an opportunity to "up-sell" and make more money (cynical yes, but this aint a hobby!)
3. By letting them redeem a voucher (and not creating barriers) we're giving ourselves an opportunity to impress them with our service and convert them in to a regular client. Repeat business is the secret to any successful business.

By not doing that, we're losing 2 and 3 and creating problems from a PR point of view.

We're not Tesco, we can't "absorb" problems easily (and nor do we have the time and inclination to deal with them), and therefore our "rules" (such as they are) have to be bent and broken occasionally. As I said before, with both my businesses the only times we stand incredibly firm is if the client is costing us money.

Last edited:
Threads like this get salon geek a bad name and a reputation for bitchiness. The OP asked for opinions and practically got accused of being a thief! The hostility is uncalled for. We are all entitled to our opinions but no need for nastiness :(

Here we go,

You have two options

1. Honour it and she will be happy

Or

2. Don't honour it

Simple, maybe close the thread as it's getting daft!

Surrey Girl through and through x

Threads like this get salon geek a bad name and a reputation for bitchiness. The OP asked for opinions and practically got accused of being a thief! The hostility is uncalled for. We are all entitled to our opinions but no need for nastiness :(

Totally agree. Just looked through the whole thread and it was all opinions and constructive criticism until someone decided to call the op a thief!! That is totally unfair just because she had done things differently to everyone else. Some people have no tact on this site. To the op regarding the topic my expiry date is 6months and i decide at the time if i get an expired one whether i want to use it or not to be honest. Depends how they treat me and what reasons they have if any. It has actually only happened to me once and i did honour it but maybe i would not have if i felt any anomosity or attitude from the client. They need to know they have gone over their date and that if you do honour it., it us a nice gesture and you dont have to. Dont get upset by nasty people making nasty comments. You are obviously NOT a theif, you are out there earning your living so dont worry about small minds and big mouths! Xx

Hey girl! Kudos to sticking to your guns on this issue. At my salon, we have done a couple Living Social/Groupon deals (AWFUL, and I would never do them again) and we had SEVERAL clients call after the vouchers were expired and demanded to be accommodated. We did explain (and it was in the fine print of the voucher) that if they came in after the expiration date, they would have to pay the difference. (Mani/pedi usually $45, down to $25 with voucher, they have to pay $20 to cover after expiration date.) They were all VERY rude and it's so annoying to have to deal with jerks who are simply trying to manipulate their way into the salon for a cheap price.

Honestly, even if her husband calls and all of that--do you really want to do this service for her? You're going to be bitter and grumpy, and she is going to be bitter and grumpy...maybe it would be best to just refund her money and call it a day. I don't see a problem with your expiration period...you wouldn't want someone hanging on to a voucher for forever and maybe you don't offer that service anymore or you've moved or something.

STOP STOP STOP!!!!

I've read everything and this thread is now not helping anyone. Enough!!

From a customer and business point of view - the husband has paid for the treatment/voucher there for his wife should be entitled to redeem it. Although it's expired he has still handed you the money to pay for the treatment and product - which for certain reasons has not been redeemed. BUT he still has paid you for it and you took the money which you have got for basically doing nothing as they have not got the treatment in return.

I understand where you coming from but I would be mift too... You've had the money. I would honour it. I would also extend your voucher term - as 3 months is not enough. I barely have time to cook my self tea some nights no mind about going for a beauty treatment.

I'm not being awful it's just my opinion xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back