I got to do the cover of Nails Magazine!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie's Nails

Reaction score
I have contributed alot over the years to Nails Magazine. It has always been my goal to do the cover. You can't just call them up and say..."hey I wanna do the cover". Well maybe some people can...but I ain't one of them...lol So I was very honored when asked to do it.
My story....

"I am just back from California where I spent over a week. I was at the ISSE show then did more training with Young Nails (learned some great new stuff I will be making tutorials for!) and then got to go down to Beverly Hills and do the nails for the cover of Nails Magazine. It will be out in May.
It was quite an experience... sit back.. get your coffee and let me spin you a tale....

K first off... we have no Freeways on the island that I live on...none..not even a little one. I had never seen traffic like this in my life. It took me two hours to get there. Two hours in stand still traffic. I am sure I could have walked there faster.

But I got there on time and everything thank goodness. We did the shoot in this really cool old empty house in Beverly hills. It had great lighting upstairs.

Amy Becker was also there at the same time as me doing the nails for June's issue. Amy Becker.. Nail Tech of the year 2003. Amy Becker..veteran competitor. Amy does amazingly beautiful thin nails. ...no pressure. lol

So the whole time I am thinking..."oh shoot are my nails thin enough?... are they straight enough?...are they good enough?" aaack!

Of course I did nail art on my models nails. I cant tell you too much...dont wanna ruin the surprise... May Issue.

Amy and I get done with our models nails. And the whole crew decides we need to eat before we start taking the pics. I hear Amy warn her model to not touch anything with her nails...not even to bump the table. She even helps her get her food. Because her nails are so amazingly thin they will break. Of course nails need to be extra thin for photography...cuz we all know the camera puts pounds on..lol Now I am really thinking..."dang.. I know my models nails are not that thin."

So we are eating. I had brought a bag of macadamia nuts from Hawaii for everyone. I happen to glance over at the table and I see my model...
Digging into the bag of nuts with her nails!
The nails I just labored over for hours!...
The nails that have NOT yet been photographed for the cover!
AND! AND! AND!....
the nails were fine... lol

They really looked pretty.. I think the nails photographed well.. I hope the whole cover will look good. and as a bonus.. my model could have worn those nails for weeks with no problems! LOL... but alas...she had other work she had to do that week..so we soaked off her nails that day.

The whole experience was fantastic. Amy Becker...for being a nail superstar, was a total sweetheart and down to earth. I am glad I got to spend that day with her. Hannah from Nails Magazine is awesome.

Now I just cannot wait to see how the cover turns out. The first time I will get to see it is probably when I get to the Las Vegas show the last weekend of April... they will have the mag then and I will go snag one from the Nails Mag booth..lol "

Oh well done Christie - I just cannot wait to see this (don't happen to have a sneaky little old preview for us here do you - won't tell anyone, promise ;)).

What brilliant news and a fantastic opportunity for you to really show your stuff - so pleased for you.

ooh ooh ooh that is sooo exciting Christie. I'm not surprised, your nail art is just fab! Can't wait to see this pics.

Do you know what I love about this industry though, is it doesn't matter how good the guys at the top are they are so modest about their abilities and so willing to help others and not get all prima donna-ish.

Well done :green:

Can't wait to see them, I'm sure they are fab just like all your work,

Sarah

Oh how fab for you Christie and well deserved I might add your nails art is the best :) cant wait to see the pic........... oh macadamia nuts my fav.

Take care Dawnie xxxxxxx

Aw Christie - what an exciting story!

Can't wait to see the pictures!

Karen
xxx

It would be great if you could post a sneak preview piccie on here for us to see!!!!!!Well done for acheiving your goal!!!!

Wow Christie, you must be thrilled :cool:

Don't forget to let the rest of us geeks see your fabulous pictures.

well done christie you have worked so hard and rightly deserve it !

Congratulations - it must have felt great. Can't wait to see the issue. Well done you deserve it :cool:

Christie...thats FABULOUS!
How exciting!
Make sure you get us some pictures....we wanna see!!
xxx

well done christie i am a big fan of your work i love your website really inspirational can't wait for the magazine

Nice one Christie, you deserve this so much xxxxx

look forward to the pics... very fab!

OHHHH...that is so fab Christie! You so deserve it, your nails are the best I've seen. You mentioned that you did some training with Young Nails, I really like their products so I am looking forward to any tutorials you will be doing.

Cheers
Rae:D

hi

i am interested in finding out more about youngs nail products. ayone know the website address

thanks

Well done Christie - I knew you were a star!

nik said:
hi

i am interested in finding out more about youngs nail products. ayone know the website address

thanks

www.youngnails.com

that is the main web site in the U.S.

distictive nail products is the distributor here in the U.K. but their web site doesn't seem to work. The number is 01253 789729 if you want to give them a call for a brochure.

HOW COOL IS THAT!! Huge compliment for you!!!! (as everyone else has said...its great to see you are being recognised in such a big way for your talent) I dont get Nails Mag here in Australia. I really hope you are going to post the picture on the geek site for us aussies to see!!!

Thank you everyone. I am really excited about the cover. You bet I will post pics of it! lol... believe me.. you will all be sick of me! lol

Latest posts

Back