I keep finding more and more poor standards

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NAIL ENHANCEMENTS – THE PAINLESS APPROACH

Bet you know of someone who has had a bad experience with nail extensions? Or maybe it was you. The Nail business is the fastest growing sector of the beauty industry and unfortunately this has led to a lot of malpractice due to inadequate training. This has resulted in you, the unsuspecting public, suffering as a result. So let me guide you through what you should expect from your Nail Technician.

Your nail tech should sanitise both yours and their hands, sanitise their files in front of you, and have their metal tools discinfecting in a product such as Barbicide. They MUST complete a full written consultation with you highlighting your lifestyle (profession, hobbies etc), any medical conditions, previous nail experiences and give you aftercare advice.

At no time should you experience pain, discomfort or bleeding. If your tech says this is okay then get out of there straight away as they will probably do untold damage your nails. No system will damage your natural nail, only poor application or improper removal so ask to see your tech’s qualifications (not course attendance) before you let them touch your nails.

Acrylic is best. Yes that’s true because all 3 systems are from the acrylic family. There is Liquid and Powder (more commonly known as Acrylic), Gel and Wraps. All systems are equally strong if your technician uses a quality brand, and no system is better for the natural nail than the other – this is poor information bandied about by bad techs to mislead you. Oh and thick doesn’t mean strong either, so if your enhancements look lumpy and/or thick don’t put up with it – go somewhere else as they should resemble a natural nail, not a door stop!!

So now you have a little more information on what to expect from your nail technician then please vote with your feet, and give your hands a break!!

(told you I couldn't do brief!!)

I have just come accross this thread, read mine on mma aahhh. So so similar, Sarah I think what your doing is a wonderful idea. My client in the above thread thought that getting her eponychium cut by the drill and having mma impossible to soak off was the norm quote quote.

I am looking for ways to re-educate clients, I have succeeded in one but there are hundreds and hundreds that need to know, you have hit the nail on the head and I too will be approaching my local paper about this

Hiya,
Big well done Sassy for biting the bullet with this.
I think what you have come up with is great but, personally I would change the introduction a little. I would start off on a more positve note to get their interest rather than a negative ... something like
' The party season is upon us again and women everywhere will be putting on the glitz for that special party, office bash or girls night out.
These days no look is complete without a fab set of nails to compliment that gorgeous outfit but, before you step into just any old salon, here are a few vital pointers to ensure you enjoy your new nails .....'
Think Ive gon on a bit there but I hope you get the idea!
Also, and please dont shoot me down for suggesting this but, Im not so sure it is a good idea to point Joe Public to our site. Do we want the public to know all about our products and costs?
I think it is up to us to get educated and then up to us to educate the public... or am I being picky here?
Just my humble opinions all :wink2:

Thanks Glo, I see where you are coming from. That's why I think it is so good to pool resources. So I've changed the beginning to what you've suggested and removed the ref to Geek. no one's going to shoot you down in flames hun!

Darn - sorry it won't let me cut and paste, so can you pretend that it has Glo's words as the opening paragraph!

Sassy fab work but I have to disagree on this:
System three is wraps – usually silk or fibreglass. This is built up with a layer of fibreglass or silk and then resin applied, it is then “set” with a spray activator. These nails give a very flat appearance and so suit people who like this look.

Makes this system sound a bit naff........and it ain't honest.........maybe you find some of this usefull xxxxx

General Fibreglass bonus points are..............
Wearer friendly, natural nail overlays or enhancements, natural looking and invisible.........very thin, but still strong.
Using a technically advanced EC Resin system, will allow any well skilled Technician to create a beautiful natural nail..
No odour, so it can be used in any Salon........
Instant polymerization............When it has dried its polymerized......End of the polymerization chain.........No micro shattering with this system......
Quick to use on repairs, like little tears or snags in nails..........
Soak off time is 10 Minutes in warm acetone..............
Least likely to cause sensitivity, they are the the bottom of the sensitivity ladder............

Just some points on EC Resin systems..............but you are doing brill with this............... I wouldn't give out the link to the geek site, I agree with Glorsclaws on this..............

Hi Sarah

A few suggestions for local papers.

As you know The News, Journal and The Portsmouth Post.

The Portsmouth Post i know do a Nails/Beauty section every month.

You probably already thought of these, but thought i would mention it.

Sammie

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Sassy fab work but I have to disagree on this:
[/font]
Makes this system sound a bit naff........and it ain't honest.........maybe you find some of this usefull xxx
very thin, but still strong.
Have to agree with you too!! couldn't think of how to word it though - what I meant was as you put it , very thin!! Thanks - I've changed it!!

Honestly I'll not take any offence to any amendments, I just want to get it word perfect, so the more input the better. I know it's a naff saying but there's no I in TEAM!! So I'd really welcome any input or feedback. If you think it's not the type of wording the public will read ie it's too boring then let's change it.

Thanks Sammie, I've not hear of the POrtsmouth Post is it a paid for, or freebie paper.
Sammie said:
Hi Sarah

A few suggestions for local papers.

As you know The News, Journal and The Portsmouth Post.

The Portsmouth Post i know do a Nails/Beauty section every month.

You probably already thought of these, but thought i would mention it.

Sammie

The Portsmouth Post used to be free but until 2 months ago went upto £1.20

Sammie

Also this might help :
MMA information for the public, taken from my website:
Hope this can help you too......Yep no I in Team, thats so true xxxxx

WHY MMA should not be used:

MMA is solvent resistant - MMA does not soak off easily or in a reasonable length of time, causing undue exposure to acetone while soaking. Most Non-Standard salons (NSS*) will simply RIP the nails off or pry them off causing extreme damage to the natural nail plate. If a weakened nail plate or damaged nail plate is already present, (normal is when MMA is used) the exposure problems while soaking off MMA become a larger concern, not to mention the ill effects and pain of ripping off the enhancements. EMA should take about 20 minutes or less to soak off, while MMA will take two or more hours to remove by soaking in acetone.

Very hard as a cured substance. To remove, or maintain an MMA enhancement, a drill (electric file or e-file as we call it) will most often be used. E-files, used by a technician who has been fully trained, are not dangerous or harmful to the natural nail plate. However, many who use this tool are untrained and have been known to cause excessive damage to the nail plate - rings of fire - by drilling into the nail plate, sometimes THROUGH the nail plate into the nail bed (sometimes this causes permanent damage). Additionally, when a nail enhancement of MMA is banged or knocked, it has little to no flexibility and will break severely, often taking the nail plate with it. EMA is formulated to be flexible, the enhancement will break, sometimes the nail, but not usually damage the nail plate.

Poor adhesion - To make MMA adhere well to the nail, overly rough preparation methods are used. The nail plate is "roughed up" with a coarse file, creating in effect, a shag carpet look to the nail plate, giving the MMA something to adhere to. This process thins and weakens the nail plate allowing more chemicals to be absorbed through the weakened nail plate during application and curing time. All acrylic enhancements, while hard enough to file in 1-4 minutes, continue to cure for as long as 36-48 hours after application.

All 3 of the above items will cause weakened and or damaged nail plates, something we surely do not want to do.
Additionally:

Warning signs of MMA use:

MMA has an unusually strong or strange odour which doesn't smell like other acrylic liquids. Odor is present during application and when filing cured product (for fill-ins or repairs).

Enhancements which are extremely hard and very difficult to file even with coarse abrasives.

Enhancements that will not soak off in solvents designed to remove acrylics.

Unlabeled containers - technician will not show or tell the client what brand of product is being used

MMA is NOT a known carcinogenic (non-cancer)

MMA will be present in almost every acrylic powder on the market. This is entirely acceptable. Only MMA in it's liquid form is dangerous. MMA in acrylic powders is "poly-methyl methacrylate" (PMMA). Nail glues, wraps, and gels also have a small amount of solid PMMA, this is also acceptable in this chemical state. "..nail remover solutions will NOT break [PMMA] down into harmful free MMA molecules. Therefore, there is no reason to fear nail powders that contain PMMA." Paul Bryson, Codirector of R&D, OPI 3/99

• Last note
  • Manicure services should NOT be painful. If the technician is causing you ANY pain, seek out another more qualified technician immediately, DO NOT allow the technician to continue the service. Seek out local Area Health and Safety offices or Trading Standard Agency and submit it promptly with photos if possible. Most councils will only act upon consumer complaints.
  • * A Non-Standard Salon (NSS) is usually lacking or one that follows poor sanitation practices, uses inferior and/or prohibited products, and under trained or non-licensed technicians

It's great isn't it.

I've put the short version into a Word doc with all the already suggested amends plus a couple of my own (only minor) and I'll have a go at the long version when I've got a bit more time LOL.

I'm hoping I can attach it here.....

Hi, they all sound brilliant.. well done! x

Here's the long version. I've added a section on MMA which probably could do with a bit more.

Pity the Nail Directory hadn't been going longer as we could have used this as a reference.

HTH

Great Cathie, can we use your attachments to edit in the future and keep it as the master copy. I hadn't written about MMA as I have to admit I still didn't fully understand about it myself so thanks to you and Ruth.

Gigi you promised us your input, and Fabbie how about your thoughts as this is your thread after all lol! Sorry I seem to have taken over!!

Yep, it'll be much easier to edit as a Word doc and when it's in its final form, easy for everyone to print out and send off!!

This website has dedtails of all the local rags, so you can find addresses etc...
http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/

Lily said:
Hiya Lou

I wouldnt mind helping you out as we are very local to each other!! If we stick together and address this then hopefully we can get the correct info out to the public!! Also as well as Gigi's help i'm sure mum wouldnt mind doing some editing (Sorry Mum LOL)

There are a few local papers to us so if you want to we could go for it!!

Amanda

Cool Lily....

I could bring my lap top round one evening if ya wanted...or i could draft something and email it to you...

I have not read the changes - just jumping straight in with my size 8's!!

Sassy Hassy said:
NAIL ENHANCEMENTS – THE PAINLESS APPROACH
Bet you know of someone who has had a bad experience with nail enhancements; maybe it was you! The Nail Inndustry hs been the fastest growing sector of the beauty industry for the past 10 years. Unfortunately this has led to malpractice due to inadequate, lack of or NO training experience, thus resulting in you - the unsuspecting public, suffering the consequencese!

Let me guide you through what you should and MUST expect from you Nail Technician.
PART ONE
MINIMUM STANDARDS
It is imperative for any customer to EXPECT and DEMAND good standards of hygiene; no client would want to risk cross-infection from one client to themselves. Your technician should not only sanitise your hands, but their own also using a professional sanitising gel or wipes. Abrasives (files) should be clean, not dusty and these should be sanitised before you arrive or at the beginning of your service. All metal implements (cuticle pusher, nippers etc) should be soaked in Barbicide (or similar) for disinfection purpeses. As the nail technician works, he/she should continue to keep their area clean and free from dust in an uncluttered and professional work-space.

A 'Client Consultation' recorded on paper with questions ranging from your lifestyle, natural nail evaluation, previous nail experiences and medical questions (regarding any reasons of why extra caution may be needed by your technician) should filled in! Your technician should also advise you on the most appropriate length of enhancement suitable to your lifestyle and the shape that best suits your hand! You should also be given aftercare advice or an After Care Leaflet that must be followed to keep your nails looking their best whilst away from the salon!

PART TWO
NO PAIN NO GAIN - WE DON'T THINK SO...
There is a myth that 'having nails applied is a painful experience' - NOT SO!! If you have ever suffered any discomfort then YOU MUST let your technician know. If the technician states that this is normal - then explain why you muxt leave - this leads to incompetence and could seriously damage your natural nails. You wouldn’t let your hairdresser burn your scalp or snip your ear - DON'T let your nail technician get away with this either!

Over zealous filing of the natural nail can cause anything from painful friction burns to separation of the nail plate from the nail bed, termed Onycholisis. Beware the electric file in particular – in untrained hands, these tools can do untold damage.

Cuticles should not be cut period - this will only make the calloused skin grow back more toughened! A good cuticle oil or exfolient used daily will moisturise, hydrate and exfoliate the cuticle and surrounding aeas! Remember, if you experience dry skin on other parts of your body, you wouldn’t want to cut off that area - you would want to moisturise wouldn’t you?

PART THREE
ACRYLIC IS BEST
Yes it is! You can't get away from it...FACT - ALL THREE SYSTEMS (That’s Liquid & Powder, Gel & Fiberglass) are from the ACRYLIC family. The preparation up to the application of the “acrylic product” is pretty much the same for all three systems.

System one is Liquid and Powder (often referred to as acrylic). A liquid monomer and a powder polymer are mixed together to create the product applied to your nails. L+P starts to harden and set as the tek applies it zand true curing time is up to 48 hours! Liquid & Powder enhancements are removed professionally by a soak-off in Professional Product Remover.

System two is termed Gel. This is a premixed product with a gel like consistency which will not harden until it is cured with a UV (Ultra Violet) light. There are two types of gels, porous (which are removeable by soaking-off) or non-porous gels (which are buffed off).

System three is the Wrap system – usually silk or fibreglass. This enhancement is created using fibreglass or silk, a resin is applied and 'set' with an activator; different visosities of resin and activators are now widely available for a more structured looking enhancement!

All systems should be thin, natural and beautiful looking! It is up to your nail technician to prescribe the correct system for each individual client!
Technical advancement in all three systems are equally strong, durable and problem free providing your technician uses a good quality brand and has gone through rigerous training!

PART FOUR
GELS DO LESS DAMAGE TO THE NATURAL NAIL THAN THE OTHER SYSTEMS...

AGAIN NO...THIS IS INCORRECT AND FALSE INFORMATION! No system harms or damages your natural nails, it is poor application technique and improper removal that causes this to happen.

This is probably the most important reason of why one should choose a fully qualified nail technician – not one who has just completed a one or two day course! Too many people think they can take a short course to use it as a licence to print money! ASK to see your technician’s qualifications before he/she ever touches your hands.

A good technician values their clients and will continue to attend training courses even after they are qualified - they refer to it as Lifelong Learning so don’t be fooled by the tech who has been doing it for twenty years - if they haven’t updated their skills then they will only be able to offer you twenty year old technology - and that's real old!!!.

Nail enhancements MUST be removed correctly and professionally. NEVER try to remove them yourself and NEVER pick or prize your enhancements off – more damage is caused this way than by any other method!!
I think this needs summing up too - something along the lines of points 1-10 of what they need to look for!! Too tired to do anymore and have a busy day tomorrow!! Sassy - great job - I have cleaned up the English and shortened it slightly!! Hope that's OK! I haven't spelled checked it either xx

Latest posts

Back