I need advice - courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty_girl

Reaction score
Hi

Basically I am a bit stuck really. I need some advice. I am 25 years old, married and have no kids. I am in a very good position. I am currently doing NVQ level 2 beauty at college and to be honest (after Geeg pointed out before) the course isnt what I had hoped it would be. We did waxing on each area once, tinting once, you get the picture. We are now on clients and I am due to finish in June and my goodness is that scary. I dont know if anyone knows me on here but I had a situation where I just broke down before doing a client as I was so nervous and this happened once or twice before just because I couldnt get to grips with things. I did it in the end and felt very good about it. She said it was very relaxing too. Currently I am seeing a counsellor for a combination of things. I work full-time and even that is stressing me out. I work as a secretary. My boss just doesnt get it or even me for that matter and I just dont feel supported or part of a team. I feel down all the time. I dont smile apart from when I am at home. I have 2 cats and husband at home. I just want to do well in Beauty Therapy and want to apply for jobs but my mind is holding me back.

Basically I want advice because I have been offered interview at college level 3 (the same on I am doing level 2 with but different tutor) and I want to go but I feel like I am going to not go because of the way I feel and the lack of support around me and the sheer lack of training in Beauty. I am a worrier and it doesnt help me thinking about things but I just want to do well. I dont give up but something has gone in me that I need to get back. I am 25 you know and actually I must have done something right to get where I have done today and im sure people look up to me for that sometimes without me knowing it. I only have 1 friend who lives down south and the same for my sister and auntie and 1 auntie lives near me and I have no friends at all. I am trying to get through my problems but any advice is welcome. One thing I will say is that dont tell me to get on with things bluntly as that doesnt work with people with depression (which I have had unfortunately) or low mood because I feel I cant get on with things. On weekends I dont actually do much and I also feel like people dont like me. At work too it doesnt help that I work in an office on my own with my boss coming in and out every so often (doctor).

I have also spoken with my work too to try and address things but they believe that the counsellor will help and to see how it goes but with the NHS unfortunately anything can happen and will given the current state of it! I totally want unbiased views.

:)

Thanks for reading!!

Didn't want to read and run x

Life can be tough at times but keep your chin up . If u want to do beauty and enjoy it then surely it would be a shame to give up.

Think of college like passing your driving test ... U may have the piece of paper but the real learning starts after.

Try asking for work experience in salons to get more experience , confidence and salon experience.

Stay positive x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi

I won't pretend to know how you're feeling but I do sense you are in a lonely place.

You asked for advice on what to do but that's difficult to give as only you know what you can handle at the moment.

It's worth thinking about the fact that you have almost completed level 2 so well done you. Your client gave you good feedback, you also enjoyed giving the treatment and your tutor has invited you to interview for level 3. I know you said the course was not plain sailing but you must be doing better than you give yourself credit for.

Would it be possible to go through with the interview without making a firm commitment to start level 3? This would give you some more time to decide what to do.

Communication is key when feeling depressed and by letting people know, not only what you are going through but what your needs are, will help others to help you. When people don't know what's wrong or how to help they tend to feel uncomfortable and keep their distance, this is not about you as a person, it's about their own discomfort. Maybe some eye contact and a smiley greeting to someone at work may make all the difference, it's worth a try.

I agree you must have done plenty right to be where you are with others looking up to you. I suspect it's very easy to confuse the beautiful, individual person that you are, with the illness you suffer.

Sending you love and hugs

Kathie x

Thank you lucelasticx and kathie. I am doing my best but some days I feel down and unhappy then other days I feel.fine. I'm sure I will get through it. It's Easter coming up and Il give myself a rest I think. Thanks for your advice but as you say I don't really know what advice I was looking for x

Hi hunni just wanted you to know I really feel for you. Depression is bloody horrible and if you ever want a chat or just a good old moan you can always contact me. Good luck with your course don't give up! Xx

Firstly hugs for you.
I'm sensing maybe your full time job is causing you great stress. I know it's not always easy, though would I be possible for you to cut from full time hours to part time see if this maybe lifts some of the stress. You sound very passionate bout beauty so my personal advice would be do the course if you feel you want to. Beauty is a great way if meeting people and a great distraction at times where it can be all bout glamour and others problems hun. Which in maybe causes you will come across people how like you have good and bad days I too went through a very low time and although most days I could see work far enough clients would help me through and I've met some wonderful friends through the years. An ear is always gear if you need a chat take care xxxx

Awwww thanks. I feel like I'm not alone anymore and the more ppl tell me that then the better. I have thought about cutting my hours but its stressful enough and I believe I do a good job so to give responsibility away well its as though I feel I should be doing it all cos that's all I have ever done. But its money too. I am.saving but I think long term and if I don't save now I won't be able to do what I want later with beauty but don't want the stress of work.sometimes but its all in my head!!! Thanks for ur replies xxxx

I recommend Louise Hay's book "you can heal your life" and also sending u lots of hugs. You have come far and you can go as far as you like, inside yourself there is a little place who believes in you, find that place and make it bigger (easier said than done but start somewhere and bit by bit it'll get easier) x

Thanks snyggiss. I value your replies and I'm seriously.thinking about dropping a day at work to focus on beauty and myself!!

Thanks snyggiss. I value your replies and I'm seriously.thinking about dropping a day at work to focus on beauty and myself!!

That sounds like a brilliant idea! :biggrin:

Oh don't give up,, think how much hard work u have put in:) depression is horrid please go to ur doc simple they can give u non addictive meds which honestly do help I know,,, keep going with the Beauty it's ur dream pm me anytime honey be positive not always easy but the glas is half full xxxxx

Right so the day has come for interview and I decided to take a year out and practice on beauty and then go back to college. In the year out I plan to do some courses too. I really want to do gelish. I feel really bad as the girls at college said im missing out. The tutor said in front of a few girls in the class that she thought I was going for interview but didn't go and why and I said to build up my confidence and that she put me on the spot!!!! I think I have made the right decision and I'm definitely going to continue. On a different note I'm going for CBT too. X

Hi

Basically I am a bit stuck really. I need some advice. I am 25 years old, married and have no kids. I am in a very good position. I am currently doing NVQ level 2 beauty at college and to be honest (after Geeg pointed out before) the course isnt what I had hoped it would be. We did waxing on each area once, tinting once, you get the picture. We are now on clients and I am due to finish in June and my goodness is that scary. I dont know if anyone knows me on here but I had a situation where I just broke down before doing a client as I was so nervous and this happened once or twice before just because I couldnt get to grips with things. I did it in the end and felt very good about it. She said it was very relaxing too. Currently I am seeing a counsellor for a combination of things. I work full-time and even that is stressing me out. I work as a secretary. My boss just doesnt get it or even me for that matter and I just dont feel supported or part of a team. I feel down all the time. I dont smile apart from when I am at home. I have 2 cats and husband at home. I just want to do well in Beauty Therapy and want to apply for jobs but my mind is holding me back.

Basically I want advice because I have been offered interview at college level 3 (the same on I am doing level 2 with but different tutor) and I want to go but I feel like I am going to not go because of the way I feel and the lack of support around me and the sheer lack of training in Beauty. I am a worrier and it doesnt help me thinking about things but I just want to do well. I dont give up but something has gone in me that I need to get back. I am 25 you know and actually I must have done something right to get where I have done today and im sure people look up to me for that sometimes without me knowing it. I only have 1 friend who lives down south and the same for my sister and auntie and 1 auntie lives near me and I have no friends at all. I am trying to get through my problems but any advice is welcome. One thing I will say is that dont tell me to get on with things bluntly as that doesnt work with people with depression (which I have had unfortunately) or low mood because I feel I cant get on with things. On weekends I dont actually do much and I also feel like people dont like me. At work too it doesnt help that I work in an office on my own with my boss coming in and out every so often (doctor).

I have also spoken with my work too to try and address things but they believe that the counsellor will help and to see how it goes but with the NHS unfortunately anything can happen and will given the current state of it! I totally want unbiased views.

:)

Thanks for reading!!

Omigosh, I soooo know what you are going through!! I also have depression, low confidence and self esteem issues. Just keep plodding along pet....we have good days and bad and just have to make the most of the good days!! The more you practice, the more confident you will become in your own abilities. Try not to let other people drag you down and always look after number (yourself)!! I'm always here for a chat hunni xxxx

Right so the day has come for interview and I decided to take a year out and practice on beauty and then go back to college. In the year out I plan to do some courses too. I really want to do gelish. I feel really bad as the girls at college said im missing out. The tutor said in front of a few girls in the class that she thought I was going for interview but didn't go and why and I said to build up my confidence and that she put me on the spot!!!! I think I have made the right decision and I'm definitely going to continue. On a different note I'm going for CBT too. X

Well done - it sounds like you really have made the best decision for you. And good luck with the CBT, I really hope it helps you to feel better xxxx

Thanks Floss and Gem. I hope I'm doing the right thing!!! Hopefully CBT will work to stop it spiralling out of control x

And gem u look lovely on ur profile pic!!!

I can relate to some of what you wrote here OP.

I sometimes feel really guilty for not knowing I wanted to do beauty until now (I'm started my first course aged 22) and as a result I can have real knocks of confidence at times.

I too have been to counselling at times and sometimes it can feel like you just want to shout "help!" and have a hug from someone who understands.

When I was going from my old "career" into beauty there were times when it all felt a bit too much so maybe there is an element of that going on for you because I guess it can feel quite alienating at times when it feels like "everyone else" is "getting on with it".

I'm not sure what to suggest but I just wanted to say hey *hugs*

Hi

I couldn't just read this and not reply.

I know exactly what you are feeling and depression sucks big time.

I have suffered with it since i was 15 and am now 30. I started my first beauty course at 28 and just like you i was always doubting myself when it came to treatments. But so far my clients haven't said anything bad about me.

I worked in the financial industry most of my working life but i left due to my grandparents becoming ill and needing full time care, which is what i have been doing for the last 4 and a half years.

Due to this being my full time job now, i decided to do evening beauty courses at my local college to try and keep my mind sane and to do something for me.

I will say i have days when i still doubt myself, even though i do beauty part time as a mobile therapist.

I have done the whole councillor/cbt thing. I will say this will open doors and will be hard but it will allow you to see certain things differently. As much as i doubt myself i am glad i did the whole cbt thing i am now aware of certain signs of when i'm having bad days.

My friends don't understand depression as you have already said you can't tell someone with depression just to get on with it and this is something they don't understand.

I don't see my mates that often as i know they just end up giving me grief about me having my bad days or what they call my moments.

So if you ever want to talk or just to rant then please don't hesitate to drop me a pm.

Lots of hugs and keep your head up :Love:

Laura - Ann x

I hope you get on well with the cbt I have used this for something else and found it great :) sounds to me you are doing well to get where you have so you should be proud!! Beauty is a great industry to be in as you will be surrounded by people all day who will pick you up when you're feeling low and some clients are a great distraction, sending you hugs xx

Omigosh, I soooo know what you are going through!! I also have depression, low confidence and self esteem issues. Just keep plodding along pet....we have good days and bad and just have to make the most of the good days!! The more you practice, the more confident you will become in your own abilities. Try not to let other people drag you down and always look after number 1(yourself)!! I'm always here for a chat hunni xxxx
May i just say i too am in the same position.I am doing level 2 hairdressing and have depression and i totally agree with the above quote.When you have 'low'days(which i call my dark days)you feel like nothing is going right even when it is all fine and runng smoothly.I say see a councellor it does help.if you ever want to talk just message me
sazza

Latest posts

Back