I need advice - courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only just read this thread, and have speed-read most of it, but my first thoughts are these: I think you need to prioritise your health issues, and get well before you challenge yourself further.

Anything new is stressful...this can be good if you're well, it's exciting and stimulating, but sometimes you need to coast in some aspects of your life and concentrate on the basics.
Get well, and stay well xx

Thanks everyone. Great advice. I'm off work for 2 weeks, already been off for 2. It's helped but still haven't got an opa for CBT yet but I'm seeing counsellor again for support while I wait. Il get there. Instead on my time off I can focus on beauty and getting that finished as I think I took too much on even though it was exciting in the beginning. Xxx

Hi. I'm stressing again. Basically I went in this afternoon to do a half leg wax, facial and ELT and EBT. I had it all in my head what I was going to do. We had to be out at 3.45 as there was a big meeting. I started at 2.15 and only managed tinting and wax but I fluffed the leg wax up. I don't think iv had enough training and I finish at the end of June. Don't know anyone else for a half leg wax. They seem to do it so well in the salon I go to, better than I can anyway. My anxiety le els are skily high and iv gotta do full leg wax, bikini wax and a back wax for the husband. Worried. I will do it but il panic and do something wrong. I wish I wasn't like this x

Tonight I'm doing leg wax and bikini wax and back wax. X

Hey everyone. Me again. Spend I finished my beauty course just! I finished my CBT. It has helped lots but I'm still not 100% Is it just me but I'm finding it hard to relate to ppl and feel almost angry and constantly looking for answers. College is frustrating me. I sadlid to the other ppl in thr class that we r doing the basics of nails and the tutor then said it isnt badics its just not nail art just silk, acrylic and gel. In my opinion thays thays the basics. It's a long story but I'm doing nails now level 3 at the same college and a girl from last year is in the same class this year and see brought bluesky in, three bottles. I said it's not the real stuff this, it's knock off shellac and she said it still works though. She is 18. I gave up. I'm considering a big decision. I want to be somewhere that takes it seriously but am I expecting too much? ?? I think I am . I feel confident sometimes but then it goes completely. Don't want to carry on burdening ppl, just wanna make sense of it. Thanks for reading.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek

I to know how you feel, and went to college a few years ago when i was 50, i suffer with depression although if u met me you would not believe it, cos i am always trying to smile and please people. I cannot tell u how nervous i was doing my nvq2, i even ended up on Beta blockers to stop my hands shaking and sleeping tablets cos i could not sleep! I could go on and on, BUT what i want to say is i passed weeks b4 anyone else and got put up for an award! I am so glad i done it and miss it a lot, but i have my own room and love doing beauty. I went through with the interview, cos it was my prerogative to have that place if i wanted it, and i only made up my mind at the end of the year not to, as i had that chance to have my room. However in some ways i wish i had done level 3 as they explain all the electrical treatments and u also learn massage, which is important! You cover a lot that would cost u a lot of money in single courses, especially massage. I would also just like to say, funny enough i worked in a Dr's surgery also ! Bear with it you will be good, and not under the same sort of pressure when working on clients, they dont know if u r doing the odd wrong move or if u do things a different way round!
Good luck to you, whatever u decide x:hug:

Helloo Beauty_Girl! Where in South Yorks are you from?

First off, wow I can't believe you have a full time job as well as studying, that is commendable! If anything, you should feel burdened, not like you are one! It's quite clear that you have high standards, which is great as I think it's what this industry is lacking from a consumer point of view, don't sink to their level or let them drag you down. Take advantage of your time off & look after yourself, does your husband know of your struggle or does he try to help? Also we all have in our head a way of how we want to do something or how we picture it to happen, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way, the key to this is confidence, & with practise, in time comes confidence. If everyone was amazing at something the first time round, there wouldn't be courses to help us learn. If you ever need a chat I am here :) x

I to know how you feel, and went to college a few years ago when i was 50, i suffer with depression although if u met me you would not believe it, cos i am always trying to smile and please people. I cannot tell u how nervous i was doing my nvq2, i even ended up on Beta blockers to stop my hands shaking and sleeping tablets cos i could not sleep! I could go on and on, BUT what i want to say is i passed weeks b4 anyone else and got put up for an award! I am so glad i done it and miss it a lot, but i have my own room and love doing beauty. I went through with the interview, cos it was my prerogative to have that place if i wanted it, and i only made up my mind at the end of the year not to, as i had that chance to have my room. However in some ways i wish i had done level 3 as they explain all the electrical treatments and u also learn massage, which is important! You cover a lot that would cost u a lot of money in single courses, especially massage. I would also just like to say, funny enough i worked in a Dr's surgery also ! Bear with it you will be good, and not under the same sort of pressure when working on clients, they dont know if u r doing the odd wrong move or if u do things a different way round!
Good luck to you, whatever u decide x:hug:

Awww thank you very much. I always feel on my own and in my own head. I am trying to work on it and the support here really helps.

Its weird because its nothing to be ashamed of dealing with anxiety and stuff but people dont know how to deal with it. I am going to a few groups anyway to deal with it. Just shouldnt really build my expectations so high.

Helloo Beauty_Girl! Where in South Yorks are you from?

First off, wow I can't believe you have a full time job as well as studying, that is commendable! If anything, you should feel burdened, not like you are one! It's quite clear that you have high standards, which is great as I think it's what this industry is lacking from a consumer point of view, don't sink to their level or let them drag you down. Take advantage of your time off & look after yourself, does your husband know of your struggle or does he try to help? Also we all have in our head a way of how we want to do something or how we picture it to happen, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way, the key to this is confidence, & with practise, in time comes confidence. If everyone was amazing at something the first time round, there wouldn't be courses to help us learn. If you ever need a chat I am here :) x

Hey

I am in Rotheham actually, now people might know who I am on here lol. Oh well. I dont mind. People need to know how to deal with these things. I do have a unachievable high standard though. I will try and keep at it. I know what you mean with the last sentence which in a way makes me feel bad. I will get through this. I always am on here for advice and learning. Its great. I wish I was more carefree. Thanks :confused:

Ohhh cool :D not far away. That is the problem with us perfectionists, nothing is ever good enough, but that's what keeps you on top of your game. I bet you're great at what you do! You've no reason to doubt yourself at all, keep practising on yourself (possible with nails brows leg waxing etc), that way it's impossible to be nervous & then your confidence will flourish :) x

I can understand your frustrations with other people in your class tbh. Im only doing level 2 at the moment but can see clearly the people with no interest or just doing the minimum to get by. It really does my head in.

Wanting to do the best and be the best is what will set you appart from the rest when you are fully qualified ;) at least thats what I keep telling myself :lol:

Hi all. Just a follow on really. I finished NVQ level 2 in Beauty but now im doing Level 3 Nail Technology at college. No one that I know have been interested in having their nails done at college. A few ppl came in at the start. This has lead to numerous occasions of not having clients for assessments and now I'm subsequently not going to finish plus there is an assignment to do instead of an exam. College have merged our class 2 times now. I suffer from anxiety as it is. I always over think the process of doing nails which leads to time problems and then obviously i don't get passed on the assessments. What scares me is doing nails on ppl at college that I don't know. I seem to always set myself up for failure by doing this. Im currently off work again and I'm trying to build on my self confidence with the help of a counsellor which is helping. Im 23 weeks pregnant and I currently have to get the house sorted. I know this will be a slow process. I wanted to do nails as part time to work and when im off with baby but the training was poor at college and im toying with paying more money out to go train at NSI at Manchester or a beauty school im Wakefield that does NSI courses. I used NSI at college so have all thr kit. Do you think i should bite the bullet and try get finished and maybe go into college to get done. They have offered a full day Thursday but im not sure they will have clients for me x

If the college training day isn't going to cost you any extra, then id bite the bullet & try. (& beg friends & family to be models) then if you don't pass, its all experience, I learn by making mistakes- you can always do a follow on nail course should you need to! Xx

I didn't want to read and run.......a side effect of living with depression is that things seem a bigger uphill climb than they actually are, how do I know this....because I live with depression myself. Life is about balancing things, but you are taking care of yourself by going to your Councellor which is fantastic!

Your training at college doesn't seem great, however as a trainer you try and accommodate for all eventualities, but things do happen and the class then evolves. Remember that training is your foundation, not your end product, that still comes with time and practice. I think if you write down the pros and cons of continuing at college or going to train with NSI may help you make a decision. Sometimes you can go to a fantastic college, with a fab reputation, and the trainer doesn't/ can't adapt to your learning style, so therefore you've kinda lost before you've started if that makes sense.
I signed up to do a course with a fab private college with a great reputation, to my shock and horror, I received my certificate of competence before I had even taken the course!! So did I have confidence in what they were delivering and assessing, er no! So i guess what I'm trying to say is, that even private tuition isn't always the best.

I would say, get a nail trainer if you can afford it, so you can practice your nails without having to rely on friends and family, this will help build your confidence, take photos and post them on here and we can give you tips and steers to get you to where you want to go. Set yourself a routine and follow these steps each time you do that treatment, manage your expectation,and resilience and you will start to see results that you can build on. Hope this helps Hun, good luck and stick with it xxx

Hi Lady.

Thanks for your reply. I do have a lot going on. I have a nail trainer too but i need to find time to practice. Im my own worst enemy. I just hope college can still accommodate me even though the course may have finished. I have advertised on salon guinea pig and have had a few responses, more than i need so hopefully this will pay off. It does seem an uphill struggle because iv made a mountain out of a molehill. I just struggle with timings and the steps but they are all in my head brcause i know them its just putting it into practice. Thanks again. I don't wanna give up x

Latest posts

Back