I need advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdnails

Reaction score
Just been to a new clients house (I'm mobile) after she got my number through a group on Facebook I'd not even advertised on..
Anyway..I turned up. I hate to sound awful but it was the worst appointment ever ��
She had 11 children most under 10 who were all standing around me poking me, dragging their mums hands about while I was trying to do her infill...touching the nail polish as it was drying!!!
They were all in and out of the garden dragging in mud & plants. Mum even told me they sometimes drag dead mice in the house!! As well as this, 3 of them had chicken pox!!!! There was no room in the house for me to set up without touching a pile of toys/boxes/rubbish all of which were dirty.
To top it off I ended up painting (very quickly with cheap polish) two of the children's nails to get them to go away and the mum didn't even say thanks! Their dad actually complained the colour was tacky!!!!! (It wasn't!)
She now wants me to go back once a week to do her nails I just don't know how I can put it in a way that doesn't offend her but I really would rather not!!! I managed to 'forget' to actually book her back in but she said she's going to text....HELP?!?!

Sorry for the long post I just needed to vent!! :(

You've just realised that your insurance doesn't cover you when there are children in the same room you are working in. So, sorry, you had no idea how finicky these insurers were. She'd best find someone else who's insurance is a little more lenient.

Hahaha love it Mobilemanicure, you doing like you've been there before xxx

You've just realised that your insurance doesn't cover you when there are children in the same room you are working in. So, sorry, you had no idea how finicky these insurers were. She'd best find someone else who's insurance is a little more lenient.

Thank you! That sounds like a plan :D

Mobile Manicure's was the greatest answer!

If she pushes for more information just say "Oh, I don't know, it's something about the chemicals and the little ones. I guess in their eyes better safe than sorry"

I would just be honest ( in a nice way) and say you found it difficult to do your job in the circumstances... To me honesty is the best policy :Kissing:

I did love mobile manicures answer..however I was thinking into it and wondered what if she says she can get rid of the children for the day? I highly doubt but if she did id be stuck on what to say then.. As her house was just disgusting if I'm honest I hate to sound self righteous it was just not a hygienic place to work in..
I might just be honest with her and say it was difficult. I just don't want to upset her! :/

I'm always honest about things now ( somewhat sugar coated sometimes) as in the past one little lie soon catches up with you in the strangest of ways and you end up thinking why did I say that and you end up in a state wishing you hadnt:Love:

I would of refused to do the service in those conditions, especially with some of the children have chickenpox and them running riot in the house.

I would be honest, don't lie especially about not knowing the correct terms of your insurance regarding to children as this could make you look unprofessional and may harm your business especially as you painted the some of the kids nails.

Just say to her:

Dear mrs x
I'm really pleased you like your nails and that you would like to rebook with me.
Unfortunately I am going to graciously decline any further bookings from you, as I feel that you need a therapist who can be more accommodating to your needs.

I can however give you a list of therapists in the area who may be able to help you.

(Copy and paste a couple off Google or yell)

Regards

Xxxx

I completely understand & appreciate all opinions regarding this, but I think in any situation (& yes some can be much more challenging than others!!) I have the motto "head down & just get on with it!" If this client choosing to spend her money getting her nails done, & taking pride in her appearance instead of her house (which granted, I do find a little odd!) I would be there as a professional to offer the service she requires, but each to their own, that's just me, I don't like letting people down. You obviously have done her nails in a way that she likes, therefore repeat custom, & possibly others would follow, you never know what may come from it!? APART FROM CHICKEN POX!😷😳😉

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Shocking! Id just be honest and say it's really difficult with the kids for you to work properly. And you need adequate space to work in.

Bless you. I have a lovely lady but her house a bit of a mess and her table is loaded with all sorts. I just joke about it and tell her I can't create art with this little lot and she moves it. I've thought about dropping her but she's so lovely.

I understand and agree with all points of view, I know she could get me more business which of course is the main reason we do this! I don't want her to spread a bad word about saying I turned her down because of her kids cause that would put most people off booking with me! But on the same note I don't want to be getting loads of bookings like that..it was just really hard to get on. Normally I would just put my head down & get on I have a few difficult clients with kids who are nosey & interfering...but this was just on another level! I know kids will be kids and I normally don't mind, but they were unclean and she wasn't bothered about telling them to leave me or my stuff. At one point one of them had a sandwich which she actually pulled apart and rubbed into her hair! :S which then all the crumbs fell onto me as she was nosying! I'm just going to be honest I think and say she might be better going to a salon. The more I think about it the more I don't want to go back.
Has anyone else had anything as bad as this? Am I being horrible for not wanting to go?

Has anyone else had anything as bad as this? Am I being horrible for not wanting to go?

No, you are not being horrible. Surely the perks of being self employed are that you can choose your clients. It doesn't sound like a safe environment with that many unsupervised children, so if you don't want to go back, then don't.

Sounds horrendous!

God u poor thing that's a lot of kids! It's slightly different as I work from home but I don't let customers bring their kids because of the chemicals I use and the fumes. Also I don't know if my insurance would cover me if something happened to their children. Another thing I say is as I work on both hands at the same time they wouldn't be able to tend to the children if they needed too. All true so no lies, and so far everyone has understood this and there has been no issues. Xxx

Why don't you be awkward with rebooking, not being able to fit her in for a week or so, offering school run times, she can't wait forever. That way you haven't been honest and her take offence and spread bad word and you haven't fibbed (that much) xx

I had a similar situation whilst trying to spray tan a lady. Not as bad as yours but she had 4 kids, one was a boy approximately 11 or 12. The whole time I was spraying her they sat behind me looking at their almost naked mum, making fun of her body. Telling her she was disgusting and she had saggy boobs! The little one was running in and out of the tent while I was spraying and the older girl kept telling me i was rubbish and her mum didn't look any different!

I was glad to get out of there. I was on the phone to hubby telling him about my adventure and she texted me to tell me how happy she was and can I book her in for a tan every 2 weeks!!!! I said of course and we can confirm when I'm back with my diary, luckily she never texted back!
Phew!!! X

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks everyone! I feel much better knowing you don't all think I'm horrible lol I think I'm going to go down the route of being unavailable when she wants then at the end of the day she can't prove I'm avoiding her I can just say I'm really busy. To be honest she hasn't text me yet so I could be panicking about nothing but we'll see! I did say as I left that I was on holiday for the next two weeks (I'm not) but she said she'll wait!! I hope she finds someone else in the meantime :/

I had a similar situation whilst trying to spray tan a lady...

You know what can't kids be awkward!! I love them most of the time even at certain appointments I think they can make it more entertaining and break the ice for new clients but my god if you get a bad one or in this case a bad 11 it can really make it a living nightmare!!!

Week I am just starting out as mobile and have had a few clients who have kids who have grubby hands, snotty noses and who handle my products stop much. I generally just grit my teeth and get on with it as I need the business.
I guess most people who book a mobile therapist will be the type who have kids and can't get to a salon so it's to be expected.
Maybe say you would be happy to come and see her again but you were concerned you couldn't give the treatment your full attention due to it being interrupted by the kids. Suggest either another adult present to keep an eye on then or an evening appointment when they are in bed?

I meant eeeeeeek not week lol x

Latest posts

Back