I need help ...do I give up my job and do BT full time.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoilt

Reaction score
OMG ? i love beauty therapy , i work at this part time, i do not advertise apart from a free webs page facebook and word of mouth, i an single and work mobile and home room.
Anyway... my wages wich are guaranteed or beauty which is not. i hate my 35 hr a week job. i am also going to college 2 nights i am scared i will burn out doing everything :eek::eek: has anyone been in this spot xxx elisa

Is there a chance you could go part time and then increase your beauty therapy hours? Do you have the clientelle to support a reduction in hours of regular income? Only you can decide what's best for you but if you were going to reduce or cut out your full time job then it may be better to do this while you have the time to put into promoting your bt business?

Forgot to say before that whilst I don't do beauty now as I have other aspects to my business, I reduced my hours from 5 days to 2 days and then cut out these 2 days eventually. It's scary at first but I would never go back.

I'm in the same boat as you i have a secure and very dull 40 hour a week job as a bar manager , 19.5 hours a week at college doing my level 3 beauty therapy ,and then i have a small client base which i do 9 till 5 on Saturday's and Sunday's i wish i could do more as i worked so hard to get my qualification and now I'm stuck between my passion for what i want and the stability of a steady income ,its hard work but i just keep in mind that its just one more year ans then i can look for a full time job as a therapist and it will all be worth it in the long run i don't know if that will make you feel any better but I'm sure that were not the only people out there that feel like this

xx

its scary. what makes it harder is , i had a car accident and heve been off work for ages, now im due back i dont want to go even more !! i am going to ask if i can go bac 16 hrs but im kinda guessing they will say full time or the door..... im qualified now, im going back to college to do health and social care/ then uni to do podiatry... or my other opition is paying to do a foot health practitioner course and promote that while i study... :eek::eek: now see y my head is battered, i have a client base but only about 10 i can rely on:cry::cry: up tp now , the rest just come as and when x

i can see how you feel i think you should just try and keep your chin up i know is easy to say , but staying positive is the best thing to do your confidence seems to have been hit obviously due to the car accident but the best think to do is to get yourself back in the driving seat and take control , you seem like someone who knows what they want and i think you should just look at what the key things you want are and then set yourself little targets that are achievable and i think eventually you will get there ,i m a big fan of writing down everything i think if its on the page its out of my head and i can see more clearly , but you are right its incredible scary , but just go for it

xx

I can relate so much to what you say here!

I am training in BT whilst finishing my degree and working part time in retail and frankly it is outrageously exhausting and has taught me not to take on too much in the future.

I am gradually phasing out the work I don't want to do whilst bringing in BT just as gradually. That is to say that I'm staying in retail to ensure that I have some money coming in to support me and help pay for my training and then once I am qualified I am going to go all out and seek full time work in a salon.

I think quitting my breadwinning job altogether would be far too risky right now which is why I am 50/50 about both retail and beauty until i am ready to be employed 100percent in beauty

hope this helps

well i am talking to my regular job boss on wed , im going to ask to go part time ! so my future will be decided then lol.... its a yes or no situation.. its only a year . then i can quit ant go to uni . hopefully and maybe get a bursery . sp part time bt it will be for 4 years. im going to be so worn out:eek::eek: y o y did i not stick in at school when i was younger lo... thnx and good luck all. ile keep u informed x elisa

"Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life" - Confucius

ohh very deep carl lol.... how was the holiday x yes my head is battered i need a crystal infusion i think.... me thinks a visit to ann ball is in need .....x

This is sooo weird - I just quit my job that I hated as i said to my now hubby (just got married) that I would rather be skint than miserable. I now earn around £200 a week and dont feel like Im working, I chose eyelash extensions as the money is great but back breaking, I love it. I was a product manager in marketing on £32,000per year. Now Im a housewife that works as much as she can and I LOVE IT! There is soooo much more to life than work and money. Think about the time you spend being miserable in a job and how long you live, you dont wanna spend your life miserable (hours a week) I have been working in an office since I was 17, now Im learning treatments in my own time and getting on with it fast track and its not what courses I have done, its if Im any good at it which I am. I wish I got into this when I was younger, am 30 next year and need this as a form of income when I become a mum x Im lucky to have my hubby just manage to bring in the money, which means we cant have the car we wanted and the luxury holidays, but I am so much happier and that is all we both want. Money is the be all and end all - not for me - Good luck and follow your heart and DONT listen to anyone else. get advice but only listen to yourself. Let us know how you get on xx

I have a hair extension studio and work every night from 6pm onwards fitting hair extensions, pretipping hair extensions for other hair extensionists and also making clip in hair extensions, I also work full time in another job. I am also starting at college two nights a week as from next week so its going to be pretty busy time for me.
Having no kids living at home as they have all flown the nest helps and having a great hubby who does all the cooking.

come and visit me soooooooon!

ANN . 27th and im there lol...not only is my head batered with work but now college ! we just got our work diary :0( no way can i work full time do that and do what i love .. ps ive had great feedback for the colon massage . and i havent discounted it . so we will wait n see.. i realy fancy more holistic therapys now so i better start saving lol.. u will be sick of me ???? xx

I'm in the same position working 35 hours a week as a secretary and doing BT eves and Saturdays, I love BT so much and I am really hating my office job! I keep saying that I am going to ask to go down to 4 days a week so I can have a rest on Friday mornings and take on more appointments on a Friday afternoon. Thing is I am so scared of asking I just think they are going to say no, what's in it for them loosing a PA for a day a week to a job they know she'd rather be doing! I just can't pluck up the courage to do it! I keep saying I'm doing it this week and then finding excuses. My OH is out of work at the moment so giving up the guarenteed salary at the moment isn't an option! Oh I wish things were easier!

I'm in the same position working 35 hours a week as a secretary and doing BT eves and Saturdays, I love BT so much and I am really hating my office job! I keep saying that I am going to ask to go down to 4 days a week so I can have a rest on Friday mornings and take on more appointments on a Friday afternoon. Thing is I am so scared of asking I just think they are going to say no, what's in it for them loosing a PA for a day a week to a job they know she'd rather be doing! I just can't pluck up the courage to do it! I keep saying I'm doing it this week and then finding excuses. My OH is out of work at the moment so giving up the guarenteed salary at the moment isn't an option! Oh I wish things were easier!

so do i. i am going to ask if i can go part time i think,, then see what they say. then build up my client base see how it goes.. i think i mite need to pe pushed rather than jump lol..x

I'm just so scared of asking, I know that's really silly! I must, must, must do it this week!!!!!

Well I finally did and it got rejected :(, I guess it's back to thinking about what to do and juggling city life with beauty!!!

I was working about 15 hours per week in a bar, 40 hours per week in a call centre and 8 in a photography studio! IN the end I gave up the bar and call centre. I make much less but hey - business is growing! I am glad I did it. I now have the time to do weddings ( I can make like £200 in 4 hours) I wouldn't hve had the time for that if I kept the rest up! I work much less hours now, sometimes moneys up sometimes down, sometimes £400 a week, sometime £150 but I love it!

I now offer make up artistry, hair styling and lash extensions it's great!, but you need to be prepared to fight to get business and maintain it too!

Maybe try renting a chair at a salon at night, like in a tanning salon and see how that goes. If that goes well give the f/t bar job up!xx

Good luck xx

Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back