I think I might have made a mistake

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugg73

Reaction score
I've posted on here before about a room I'm going to rent. It's in a holistic centre/shop. Despite many inital set backs I've negotiated a flat daily rate (I will only be doing Saturday). I've got a contract which includes 2 months trial which I signed last week.

I've seen the room which i will be sharing with 2 other therapists who work through the week - not really ideal but not a huge problem (although storage is not brilliant!)

My main issue - which I really failed to factor in - is that there is no access to water in or near the room. DOH!! The floor I'm on had a number of doors so I foolishly presummed one was the toilet/sink!! Big mistake - it's downstairs, through the shop!! I'm now worrying - not sleeping or eating as most of my level 2 beauty treatments need water!! I've got a towel warmer which will help with facials etc. but what about pedicures? She has already said that she is not happy with me going through the shop and coming back with a ped bowl full of water. She suggested a flask but I think I might need 10 to fill the bowl!! What the h**l have I done!

To add to my mystery, I can't use candles, oil burner, insence etc. room spray is prefered and she has a behaviour policy that says that conversations should be kept to a minimum. I'm not tied in for life but I know I've really stuffed this up!! :Scared:

is there no way you can get out of it? thats sounds like a horrible place to be
hope you get out ASAP!

Since you are in your trial period what's the minimum time you can give notice? If it was me I would just give notice now.

Couple of big obstacles!

Have you spoken to the other therapists? What kind of treatments do they do?

I thought that there were certain regulations of how close to a water source that you have to be in order to carry out certain treatments, like eyelash tinting, if this is something that you are offering.

I think that you could get out of the contract if this is what you want to do, it doesn't sound ideal.

thanks for quick replies.

I have to give 1 months notice so I guess I could go in on Saturday, see how it all works out and give notice then if I think it's not going to work.

The other 'therapists' are not really therapists. One is a tarot reader, one is a medium(spell) - I think this person also talks to animals! Another girl is joining, she is a reflexologist so I'm not sure what she needs. The centre was hoping to bring in more mainstream treatments (ME).

Can anyone advise if not having water in the room etc. is a health and safety issue??

Your contract would be void in my eyes (so you wouldn't have to give notice) if she knew about what kind of treatments you were offering and she didn't let you know about the water situation.

I'm sure you could adapt your treatments, in part if this is what you wish. I do pedicures without soaking, but if this goes against what you want to offer then you will need to think again about this room.

What treatments were you thinking of offering and how could they be adapted?

I'm not up to date on the laws of this country, is there a cooling off period if a contract has been signed?

To be honest I would just be honest with her and tell her that the room is not fit for purpose.

Find somewhere else and have the room to yourself preferably, sharing a room causes no end of headaches.

If there is no where local to you advertising a room, be proactive and approach different places yourself.

Best of luck what ever you choose :)

I've posted on here before about a room I'm going to rent. It's in a holistic centre/shop. Despite many inital set backs I've negotiated a flat daily rate (I will only be doing Saturday). I've got a contract which includes 2 months trial which I signed last week.

I've seen the room which i will be sharing with 2 other therapists who work through the week - not really ideal but not a huge problem (although storage is not brilliant!)

My main issue - which I really failed to factor in - is that there is no access to water in or near the room. DOH!! The floor I'm on had a number of doors so I foolishly presummed one was the toilet/sink!! Big mistake - it's downstairs, through the shop!! I'm now worrying - not sleeping or eating as most of my level 2 beauty treatments need water!! I've got a towel warmer which will help with facials etc. but what about pedicures? She has already said that she is not happy with me going through the shop and coming back with a ped bowl full of water. She suggested a flask but I think I might need 10 to fill the bowl!! What the h**l have I done!

To add to my mystery, I can't use candles, oil burner, insence etc. room spray is prefered and she has a behaviour policy that says that conversations should be kept to a minimum. I'm not tied in for life but I know I've really stuffed this up!! :Scared:

Well the good thing about it is that you do have a trial period. See what happens in that time and then make Your decision on staying or leaving. As far as the water issue goes. You can buy a small water heater (somthing like they use for catering) I persume you have electricity? you can fill the heater (normally they are floor standing) and it will keep warm all day, you just take water when you need it. Its not a good solution but one that could get you over the water issue. I would also suggest you invest in a small hot cabbie and mits. You soak the mits in the morning (enough for your treatment), keep filling up when required. Hope this helps?;)

If you've not paid any money upfront just walk away. It should hopefully be that simple. You don't owe anyone anything.

For what it's worth, when I was looking for work after college I found that there are some utterly rubbish setups that I didn't think were worthwhile (being employed by people who were breaking employment law, people running what they called a spa in a block of office flats etc).

Seriously, just walk away.

Best advice I can give is that if you really want to be self employed go it completely alone. I personally prefer being employed by a bigger company because they have more procedures in place in terms of a proper contract and being paid an hourly rate.

Would she consider installing a sink in the room?

At the end of the day whoevers room it is doesn't sound like she has enough grasp of the beauty industry to be able to give you what you need. I think the energy it'd take to get her to understand (or install a sink or equivalent) would be energy better spent on finding a better opportunity for yourself.

Hi
Call your local council they will state you have to have water and she would have to put a sink in? If she won't your contract should be void as for health & safety we need water in case a client falls and cuts herself x
Michelle

Same thing happened to me! The council refused to license the room because of this so I had to move on to a new room, apparently it is against health and safety if there is not a basin or water supply in the room or near it, not sure if your council is the sAme mine is Thurrock council so this is also something to think about.

Just realised shelldavis said exactly same thing before me lol

I agree with all above. If no money has been passed over yet.. I would just leave!!! You really do need water!! Even just to wash your hands Inbetween treatments etc! If I was you I would just leave and look elsewhere! She sounds like a bit of a loon! To offer a room to someone doin beauty but she doesn't tell u there's no sink :/

I think any standard contract has a 14day cooling off period as well so you can just cancel now.

I've contacted the owner and set out my concerns clearly. Ventilation and lack of water is a real concern. Not having water in the room is not a deal breaker for me but not having water close and easy to dispose of water will be problematic. I could see that getting old quick. The owner has also talked bout upping the rent after 3 mths that would cause me further worries and certainly not worth more money.

Thanks for speedy advice geeks - I don't think she can come back with any resolutions that would satisfy - she is not happy to put any money into resolving these issues. Will continue with mobile which is going really well.

Will look with head next time - lessons learnt! :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Has she come back to you yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back