If one more person...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24Becks

Reaction score
Hello geeks, im very new to this industry, very excited and eager to plug my mobile tanning/waxing business whenever possible. I am also quietly proud that i have made the jump and got on with it!
But if one more person tells me ''oh what a nice hobby'' im going to explode, how many hobbies do you put so much time, effort, work, capital and tears into?
This is less of a question and more of a rant :o do you guys get taken seriously?
x x

I know how you feel, I only started mobile in Feb 10 and everyone thought I would fail but I am very proud to say it is Turing out very well.

I only work part time around my other half and two young boys 1 and 3 yrs and have put allot of time and effort in to building my busness.
The worst person I have to say is my mum, she is very sarcastic about it all the time but I am not letting it get to me. I love what I do and I am very proud to be working most evenings and getting very busy.

Good luck with your business and try not to let it get to you.

xx

thanks for the post, im glad to hear that you work it around your children as this is what i plan on doing, working around my 10 month old and 4 year old girls.
It sounds like your doing well!
X X

I have a full time job and work mobile part time. Apart from my hubby, my aunty and 1 or 2 friends, the rest of my family and friends didn't take me seriously. It's only now that I'm busy, and can't fit them in at the last minute or can't visit the in laws at a days notice, are they realising how much time and effort I'm putting in to make it successful.

I know how you feel, i do this realy old ladys file and polish every three weeks and she goes to me, "how did your parents feel when they found out you were going to be a manicurist, i bet they thaught I didnt keep you all this years for that!!!!" Also I also had this woman and her daugher becuse their other nail tech wasnt answering the phone, they go to me !"well she probably has more important things to do than play with nails!!!!!" Also when i said i was going back college my friends mum goes to me, " are you going back to college to play with dollies are you" about my hairdressing head block. (im now earning way more an hour than her anyway so suck on that ha ha ha). People are very disrespectful of people in this industry but what would they do with out us hey?? Sorry rant over.. AND BREATH :twisted::twisted::twisted:

I know totally how you feel.My old best friends mom is always saying stuff like that to me,met her the other day and she was like oh your doing hair now(i have my make up artist diploma and 3 months away from my level 3 hairdressing diploma and want to do beauty after)

i have worked full time the last 4 years as a make up artist then becoming a manger as well as loads of freelance work on the side!!

She keeps going on about how she is glad how her daughter went for a REAL CAREER.

The thing is her daughter has not worked for over two years now while im working my way up to owning my own salon one day so i think i will stick to my NON real career thank you very much :D

Some people eh oh well karma and all that x

and as for the old lady she pays YOU to have her nails done!!!!

I find people like yourselvs a real insparation! some working for themselves some gaining qualifications throughout their career and never stopping learning!
There should be more people like you geeks :) x x

lol i used to get this when i was mobile: how come you've gota degree and are doin this?! isnt this a bit dumbed down for you...a hobby now a career...it doesnt make sense?!
Now i get: how did you manage to OWN your own salon at such a young age etc....lol When & where did you do your qualifcations lol why did you change career?! where do you get ur products from?! you'll find all these kinda questions very fustrating!

But learn to SMILE thru it...people are always natrurally intrigued to know your in good hands & they wont ask you again when you've done a good job! I tend to always make the point of my career & education as an investment in yourself with gaining extra qualifications all the time.

Doesnt hurt to be clever....does it?! hehe! Good luck with your ventures ladies...it is hard work & only professionals know...not hobbymakers!!

Hello geeks, im very new to this industry, very excited and eager to plug my mobile tanning/waxing business whenever possible. I am also quietly proud that i have made the jump and got on with it!
But if one more person tells me ''oh what a nice hobby'' im going to explode, how many hobbies do you put so much time, effort, work, capital and tears into?
This is less of a question and more of a rant :o do you guys get taken seriously?
x x

It used to get me down but now I turn it around. I now reply yes I'm so very lucky to beable to make my living out of my hobby, which means i love going to work each and everyday, meeting new people all the time and having such a fab time as well!! Then I ask how's your job! that will shut them up?

Michelle that made me smile, perfect response! x x

Oh bless you!

Just smile sweetly and hand them a business card and price list, tell them you would be delighted to see them, and that you are certain you
can rely on them to spread the word for you...

That normally puts them on a back foot... They never book in and therefore when you see them again they are normally too embarassed to ask you about your work as they ahvent een to you and never patronise you again! Works for me!

If people realised what you have to learn in order to be a therapist, they'd think differently.

I initially only wanted to do nail art, but the local college said I'd have to do the manicure course first. I was a bit put out at first, but now, I'm so glad I did. You have to learn all about structure of the skin, muscles and bones of the hand and arm and, more importantly, nail disorders and diseases. Just imagine if you hadn't learnt all that, and you had a client with funny looking nails? You'd catch all sorts!:)

It's a profession at the end of the day, not just a hobby!

To those of you who are mobile, how do you work this? Our lecyured has told us that, if we decide to go mobile, we must always take someone with us, for safety reasons. That's why I'm going to start off from home - I have no-one to act as a minder. Have 3 children, so hubby would have to babysit.

that should say 'lecturer'. Doh!

I had a friend that whenI first qualified said "Well we'll give you a couple of years to play with nails and then you'll soon go to uni"

She is now eating her words as I have a fab business, and she now wants to be like me and get out of her NHS job!!All I have to say is Ha Ha Ha!!

Once I had finished at college I got a full time job in a spa. Because it was my first job my wage was terrible, but I just thought to myself 'you have to start somewhere!'
My boyfriend and his mum used to always say 'how come you working for such a low wage when you have a degree and could work in an office?' or 'those qualification were such a waste of money, look how skint you are now!'
But I saw the money that I spent and the time that I worked in the spa complete value for money. I worked hard every day, learnt as much as I possibly could, always volunteered for any task, went on every course I could afford, and attended exhibitions.
I subscribed to trade magazines and became a member of salongeek!!!

I now work from home, and make a lot more money, infact much more than my boyfriend!!! Even thought him and his mother still keep asking me 'when will i get a real job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' ARGGGHHH!!!

Its so frustrating that they dont see the hard work and effort that goes into my job.

But I will be the last one laughing when I invite them in a couple of months to my salon opening!!! lol xxxx

To those of you who are mobile, how do you work this? Our lecyured has told us that, if we decide to go mobile, we must always take someone with us, for safety reasons. That's why I'm going to start off from home - I have no-one to act as a minder. Have 3 children, so hubby would have to babysit.

When I first started I couldn't drive!! So had to rely on Hubby not only to take me and pick me up but also to look after my three kids also. Now I drive i'm off all over the place. It is impossible to take a 'minder' with you all the time. Best policy is to make sure people know where you are going and have you phone in your pocket. If you can get people coming to your home thats fab, but you must also make sure you have safety precautions also, as you are welcoming the 'public' into your home. Good Luck. x

Very funny thread!

I set up a couple of months ago as mobile just doing eyelash extensions. As I work full time I can only do evenings and Saturdays, must have Sundays off! So many people I work with think I sit around waiting for my phone to ring when in reality I am fully booked constantly 2 weeks in advance. They are now learning that if they dont want bald eyes they need to treat me like a salon and make appointments in advance!

Dawn - If I am going somewhere new I write down the address as a 'just in case something happens...' precaution.

Hi,

I am new to business too and working mobile. I would love to hear how you are promoting your business.

Debbie
x

Hi,

I am new to business too and working mobile. I would love to hear how you are promoting your business.

Debbie
x
Hi Debbie, its so hard when you first start out as you want clients and you will do anything to get some. Local advertising, promotions, school's etc all help with getting people to come to you. Word of mouth is the best advertising you can get. Give a few people that you know a half price treatment and a Loyalty & recommend a friend card which gets them discount. See how it goes. Most of all be patient as it can take time!!!

Regards

Michelle

Latest posts

Back