Illegal from June to offer more than a 14% tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  • But what IS known as fact is that it is ineffective on human skin past a threshold of 12-14%. You don't have to believe every scientific paper every written on the subject, and you don't have to believe me. Try it yourself. Buy raw DHA, make a primitive solution, and apply it at different strengths to your skin and see what happens.

Years ago, I used to purchase pure DHA powder from a well-known dance supplier, called DSI who make costumes for "Dancing on Ice" and "Strictly Come Dancing". I used it in various strengths within a water solution, to beef-up existing tan solutions and also to make up my own gradual tan in a moisturiser. I did loads of experiments. Sometimes, the powder or crystals fell on my skin and I can tell you that they went considerably darker than 14% lol!:D Sorry to contradict but there you go, I've already done experiments and it is effective beyond 14%: it will go darker than 14% on mine and my DD's skin. The obvious caveat is that everyone's skin is different.

It's still available if anyone else wants to take up Catherine's challenge and it's dirt-cheap.

http://www.dsi-london.com/site/?action=prod_page&pid=8018&type=32&cat_id=2&sub_id=

Hi Baggy. I understood you the first time, that the study you refer to tested up to 14%. But your statement that by producing over 14%, a company is not going against EU recommendations, is incorrect. Whether or not you have personal reservations regarding this study and the time it was done is irrelevant to the fact that, like it or not, any solution above 14% IS going against the EU recommendations. This isn't subjective. It's fact. And with so many different opinions flying around, it's important the facts are known by everybody. People can then make up their own minds from these facts.

"Your company may say they are unwilling but I'm sure there are a few other companies out there who would continue to produce higher DHA solutions if they could, they are either unable to find or afford a chemist who is willing to sign off the solutions as safe & stable." I can't really speak for these other companies, and as my company has always abided by the guidelines of the SCCS from the very start, I'm probably not in the best position to say. Probably best to call up the large number companies who have discontinued their high DHA solutions and ask them why, but I seriously seriously doubt that it's down to not being able to find or afford a chemist to certify their products when you consider some of the big names who have taken this step. Probably more to do with a serious sit down and think about what is going to happen long-term, and not wanting their name associated with offering this kind of product.

"That is like saying why trial medication that COULD cure cancer but might have side effects" - no, it's like saying a trial medication DOESN'T cure cancer and might have side effects. This is the whole point. If higher concentrations of DHA gave you a darker tan, that would be a different story, but every scientific study out there says otherwise.

"So what you are saying is that those solutions that DO give a darker tan and state they are 16%/18%/20% must have DHA & something else in them that makes the tan darker." - Yes, which is backed up by your own statement that your chosen brand of solution provider plans to come out with a tan just as dark as their previous high DHA one, without using DHA above 14%.

"If that is the case surely the companies would say so" - erm, you're talking about the same companies that put all over their website that their tan is "100% natural." And you're surprised that they're not honest about what's in their tans? DHA is a chemical. It's not natural. It never will be natural. So unless their tan contains no DHA, it's not 100% natural. The terrible truth is that companies can say whatever they like on their websites or even on their labels. The only place they need to legally tell the truth is their ingredients list.

Hi pigoletto,

Thanks for replying, your observations are interesting and I'm glad to know that someone else has tried this! I do have a few questions about the conclusions that you have drawn though.

- What were you using to measure that they were darker than a 14%? Did you make up your own 14% solution, and then compare it with your own 25% solution, for example?

- What was your personal threshold? At what point did using higher percentages of DHA fail to make any difference to the shade of the tan? 16%? 18%? What did you find?

Hi pigoletto,

Thanks for replying, your observations are interesting and I'm glad to know that someone else has tried this! I do have a few questions about the conclusions that you have drawn though.

- What were you using to measure that they were darker than a 14%? Did you make up your own 14% solution, and then compare it with your own 25% solution, for example?

- What was your personal threshold? At what point did using higher percentages of DHA fail to make any difference to the shade of the tan? 16%? 18%? What did you find?

Sorry but very tied up for days but a quick reply can be given from my previous post
"Sometimes, the powder or crystals fell on my skin and I can tell you that they went considerably darker than 14% lol!
"

The crystals fell on my skin and it went much darker than any 14, 15, 16, 18 or 20% I've come across and I reckon I've pretty much tried them all.

Why not order and try it for yourself, I'm sure you can replicate my findings.

From what I've read from LA tan they are no longer able to produce higher than 14% but you are able to use any higher % stock that you still have.

Latest posts

Back