I'm Australian... and having trouble finding a nail course lol!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambrotosa

Reaction score
Okay, so being Australian has it's ups and downs, but particularly in South Australia. I've struggled to even find places to study nails here, but that's not the point.

I called a lady the other day (at a place called NailTech School or something to that effect), and she seemed wonderful. She was explaining the differences between this private nail tech school, and a general college. Now I've only called this one lady, but I thought I'd explain the situation.

From what I gather, this course is at a private school... on the other side of town (but she said there isn't one closer to me, and she has alot of girls come out from my side of town... I'll take her word for it). There are two courses, a part time and full time. A full time course will set me back about $2195, whereas a part time would set me back $1995, she also explained that the price difference was due to the fact they believed that the part time students didn't spend nearly as much time in the classroom as full time students. The class sizes are limited to 12 each, with the comforts of having your own nail drill, rather than having to share one between 5 (which can be what happens at a college). She also happened to mention at colleges, drill training, gel nails and nail art are generally seperate courses, however, there they're optional, but you do pay for them in the price as they consider them essential and the choice is there if you wish to do it.

I'm just confused... it's alot of money, and I haven't seen any nail techs here from South Australia so it's hard to know where to do my training. I'd like to go on to beauty therapy at a later date, but as it's an incredibly long course I'd like to do nails, just to knock that part off as soon as possible.

Gosh, I don't know. What should I be looking for? Does this course sound like it has potential? Oh I don't know lol. I'm so confused. :irked:

Hey there :) Call the girls at National Salon Supplies, Norwood for info. They're great, very helpful and they'll know of somewhere to train. Their number is (08) 8363 4966. I trained through a private place recommended by another rep, because of the smaller class sizes. Hth. PM me if you need help or anything :)

Hi there fellow Adelaidian

Give Nail Supplies International a call They are at Goodwood 83735222. They have been fantastic to me and also offer further training in other beauty areas.
I also trained at a private salon with a class size of 2, so there was no problems with tool sharing. My trainor was very good and has offered more training since for no cost. I started with a basic intro course rather than dive straight into the cert2 just incase i hated it. I really didn't want to part with thousands to only find out how bad i was at it!
I can give you the number if you are interested in her (diff to the above number).

Good Luck:smack:

hi im in melb and the coruses can be expensive i know creative in melb are charging 2500 for either part time was for 18 weeks and full time was 9 weeks or causal i did my training with them part time and i did the same work and same amount of time that the full timers did and there was no price difference i reckon with my exp im glad i did part time as i got more time to practice

:green: Hi
I am in Adelaide. I trained at One on One Nail Tuition on Henley Beach Road at Torrensville. For the night time course which went three weeks it set me back, $1500 that was 2years ago.
Goodluck

Give Francine Hodgins a call at nail supplies international
08 8373 5222 tell her Carl sent you, she will point you in the right direction, they have a website www.nailsandbeauty.com.au

Ok, I wasnt going to sign in tonight, but had to reply to this!

Ambrotosa, you have obviously not tried very hard to look for a Nail Course in Adelaide. Is this because you are not very keen or a bit lazy?? As well as others mentioned above, which I have to say Francine Hodgins trained me and continues to be of a great support in both my business, 3 years later, there are also heaps more training schools.

The Nail Tech school you rang was probably Nail Technician School of SA at Morphett Vale, with Shiela and Paul Thiele. They are a wonderful, Nationally Recognised Training Organisation with high standards, and this will serve you well, dont forget, you get what you pay for.

Also, you mention they were on the other side of town, so Im guessing your more north?, try ringing Bare All at Pooraka, they too are a wonderful training school, ask for Megan or Jodie and they will steer you in the right direction. Or at Golden Grove, there is Nail Technology Academy.

Also, we DO have a Yellow Pages which is full of Nail Schools and Colleges which would be happy to talk to you.

I have had no problems in the past gaining and training or support in beautiful Adelaide so I cant understand why you sounded so negative about it??

PS Dont "take her word for it", do your research and find out for yourself!!

Welcome on board Ambrotosa,

Good to see your not alone in SA.
City of Churches turning into the City of Nails....

Deciede first the services you'd like to be able to perform in your business.
Manicure & Pedicure, I would highly recommend as these are foundations to bigger things.

The next would be to deciede what type of system you'd like to use,the 2 below are the most popular [besides Spa mani pedi service's]
Liquid & Powder=L&P. Has an odour to it. Dust residue etc.
Gel - Odourless. Less dust.
There are also fibreglass & silk wraps ... Not my preference,but plenty to look in search on geek though.

Specific product education ie: Creative Nail Design - Ez Flow - & many more nail systems[types of product] are avaiable by contacting the company.If you'd like some contact numbers let me know.
This can be in a class situation ususally no more than 6 or on a one to one basis.These certificates are classed as Industry Recognized.

Or choose a school that offers the specific areas youd like to target.
Product at this stage is not an issue its technique you are needing, education to apply technique = skill.

The pricing for these courses sounds right ..Pay peanuts get monkey's[lol]
My Swedish Massage therapy course is $1,500 for 20 weeks in a college situation. There are a few girls in the class, But we all get the attention we need and product in abundance, Good Education costs!!!
This is classed as Government Recognized as you would be after attending a college for your class.

Certificate 11 in Nail Technology is the first building block to your career,from there choose your product & training for it.

All the best
XX J XX

I am in Adelaide, could you please recommend a salon which done the good nails, not so expensive?
Thank you.
If have any night class or weekend class, I'd like to go!

Hi Echo, not sure exactly what you are looking for??

Someone to do your own nails, or a training school for you to learn nails?

There are a few schools mentioned above that are all great, get the Yellow Pages out, a pen and paper and ring as many as you can and get them to send out any information for you to read regarding their courses.

Good Luck, also just start a new thread next time if you want to slightly change your question, it stands out more for people to see.

x

Last night, I just get my nails done, now I really decide to find a school to learn. I will contact with the schools you mentioned above. Thank you very much!

Latest posts

Back