I'm not beauty qualified but want to set up..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saya

Reaction score
Hi all,
This may have been covered previously, would appreciate if anyone can advise..
I am hoping to set up a Beauty Therapy Salon in partnership with my friend.
She's not very business minded but is about to qualify with NVQ level 3, so I'm the business brains, whilst she is the beauty brains..
The plan was that she remains a silent partner until she has gained enough external experience to join us as staff, whilst I manage the place behind the scenes as manager and employ an assistant manager to run the day in day out stuff on the floor.
I have no qualifications in the beauty industry (I'm actually a Construction Project Manager by day!) but I wasn't sure if I am required to, as manager.
I will not be delivering any services myself (not yet anyway!).
Also, would anyone advise against me taking this venture on if I'm not intending to muck in myself? For me this was going to be my 'thing on the side' to stretch my business abilities.
We are currently securing the unit and have negotiated the fitout costs.
But I still have a lot of weighing up to do before proceeding any further, so it's not to late to back out...?

hiya Saya
we have had a very lengthy discussion about this before but I can't for the life of me think what the thread was called.

sounds like you both have it sussed between you, you will of course be drawing up a contract so that you both know what is expected of you both.

you may find that you want to get into the therapy side of it when you watch whats going on, but you said you will be employing a manager, so what is your role?

Hiya Hippy Chick,

Thanks for getting back : )
I'm responsible for the behind the scene side of things inc. the premises, fit-out, accounting, all the financial, statutory, H&S etc obligations
She's responsible for specifying all the salon equipment, staff and services.
We want to employ an experienced hairdresser, but hairdressing is not expected to be a main service (as an asian salon, threading is likely to be our bread and butter service), so we want her to be the assistant manager too. In addition to hairdressing, she would manage the floor staff and customers through the day.
I will be there to oversee for only a few busy days a week,(I will still work part time at my employed job, as it earns me more) and both me and my business partner will probably pop by after work to bank the takings.
Hows it looking? Is this realistic? Is it worth it?

so neither of you intend to actually work in the premises?

this is a very interesting discussion.
My view is that you do not need a beauty background to run a salon - having my own business i have realised that there are so many skills and disciplines you need to be sucessful but they are more general business/marketing/management skills rather than industry specific experience.
I would be more concerned that neither of you will be on the premises managing or driving the business
good luck - it does sound like you have got alot of if planned out
let me know how you get on
lucy

No, well not full time.
I'll work there for the 3 busiest days, but otherwise it's armslength..

Hiya Lublu,

Even though i'm not beautilly inclined, the venture is very exciting, but obviously there are concerns about neither of us being there and my own lack of beauty quals (if required?),
the only compromise I can afford to do is go part-time.
Does anyone think that this is not good enough and that really, I have to quit the secure employment and go full-time in the salon?

tbh, what would the benefits be of you being qualified?

if you have a good manager, then hopefully you won't be taken for a ride.

why is your partner not working in there if she has the beauty qualifications?

I'm just a bit confused about what you and her want to get out of it, and I understand what you will be doing, but what about your partner, what is she doing?

could you alternate your days in so that they staff don't get complacent the days that you aren't in?

Lucy-Jayne is doing a short intensive NVQ course at Carlton college, it may well suit your needs.

Thanks Hippy chick,

If I am not required under any rules to, then I won't take any Beauty courses myself : )
I'm not really prepared to let her work in there yet, because she has no experience, just the qual. So she has invested for a silent equity, then when she has gained more external experience, we'll take her on and pay her a salary too.
So right now she doesn't do much at all for the biz.

Hi

Do you have a genuine passion for the beauty industry? What do you want to get out of it?
Is this purely for monetary gain or passion?

xxElainexx

This has been 4 years in the planning, with my friend 'Tari', then 2 years ago I encouraged my friend 'Aysh' to pursue what she enjoys most as a career (she's a young single mum), so we'd become business partners in the future.
Just been waiting for the right time.
I then found the right unit in the right location a few months ago so we started to get the cogs rolling.
Unfortunately, i couldn't tell my friend Tari that it's happening, because she fell ill, she then passed away with Cancer a day before my birthday in December last year before I could :. ( (may God(sw) rest her soul)
So this has become a bit more special then the original 'Independant women money-spinner' that I planned.

Even in writing this, I'm being motivated to follow my heart.
But I'm here to be real. I have to think with my head, if under our circumstances it is unlikely to work, than we would have to back out while we can.

Saya

I in no way being dissmissive of your intentions, just wanted to get it sorted in my head what your roles were.

you sound like you have it all sussed, and at the end of the day you need to wear so many hats to run a business.

I've been reading a book recommended by the Geek, and its about running small businesses. It says we should be a manger, a business consultant and a technican.

Most of us are techs through and through and struggle with the biz side of things, we cant see the 'wood for the trees' as we are so into it. You will have the advantage of being more business minded.

Thanks sally,
I think I came across this a few months back and it was very dis-heartening, but the threads have grown since.

I appreciate that the delivery of the services themselves is indeed a passion that all the geeks spend years in training to get certified.
But no, I do not intend on delivering those services (however I am looking into Laser therapy training myself, but thats another post!)
My passion is the overall salon experience, the community atmosphere, the empowerment of women..I also look forward to becoming their guinea pig, : )
Apparently, there is only a basic module in Beauty Therapy course that covers salon managment, otherwise the girls are stuck with all this talent but no sound business jargon sense.
I believe I bring that balance with a good level of respect for the Industry itself...so happy days, I hope : )

So geeks..your verdict please :rolleyes:?

go for it, but have your contracts written up so everyone knows what their roles are.

good luck x

It sounds to me like you have all the makings of a good business mind and wish you all the luck in the world with your venture.

I would though if I were you be asking for more than a silent investment from your partner, and be wanting her to make a commitment to the project with time and knowledge. If she finds herself external employment, you don't want her to lose interest in the venture if she gets comfy where she is. I like to know that i'm getting the most information or work possible from anybody who is likely to gain financially from an investment.

If you are to employ a manager anyway, then could your partner not be on board as a newly qualified therapist, as she would be under supervision of someone more experienced.

Loads of luck with it.
:hug:

I'm not really prepared to let her work in there yet, because she has no experience, just the qual. So she has invested for a silent equity, then when she has gained more external experience, we'll take her on and pay her a salary too.
So right now she doesn't do much at all for the biz.
If I was in her shoes I wouldn't be investing in a business I wasn't allowed to work in. How do you expect her to gain experience when she's not allowed to work in her own business. You'll be paying staff when you already have someone on your hands that is qualified but not allowed to work. Doesn't make sense to me - sounds like a bit of a slap in the face that she's not good enough after all the training she's done.
What if she turned around and said you have no experience in managing a beauty salon so when you get some external experience then come back.
Sounds harsh but I'd be pretty ****ty if I were her being told I wasn't good enough.

Hiya , I would definitely read the thread that Sallygirljojo recommended

what do I need to open a beauty salon?

It could help loads with some of the things you may need to address,
let us know if you find anything helpful on it ?

Good luck for whatever you decide anyways :hug: x

hi there
I agree with skymark here. I think this beauty salon would be a perfect place for your partner to gain her expirience, as we all have to start from somewhere,right? As long as she is supervised by senior therapist, i think you are on the right path. And after she starts doing treatments bit by bit, you know it is always practise, practise, practise!!! You can introduce different promotions for the clients, this way she'll get even more opportunities to gain her expirience, and you will get extra helping hand.
And I would say go for it!!!!
Good luck with your new venture!!!

Well , you do sound like you know what you are doing ,
I am just wondering will it be in a busy place ?
will there be enough custom ?

This industry can be so hard to earn a living .

I would definitely let the level three girl work there as level three standards are very high indeed,
plus she will have been practicing for a few years on the paying public within a college ?

If you decide to go ahead I wish you good luck and lots of custom :hug: x

Latest posts

Back