I'm starting to hate doing tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelldavis

Reaction score
Well ladies I need some help! I've been doing nails now for nearly a year I can blend a tip to perfection on my own nail? Give me a client & I go to pieces? I hate the nails I've done although client always seem happy? I just want to give up!

Well ladies I need some help! I've been doing nails now for nearly a year I can blend a tip to perfection on my own nail? Give me a client & I go to pieces? I hate the nails I've done although client always seem happy? I just want to give up!

Why do you feel that way? You say your clients are happy. What sort of 'help' do you think we can give you? You lack in confidence in some way and I don't see how SalonGeek members can help with that. Your issue seems to be when working on others and this is a people business and its what we do! You say you want to give up ... Is what you really mean, that you don't want to give up? If you don't want to give up then I would seek help with your issues of confidence. If you think the problem is the tips, then maybe learn to sculpt. But from your post you say you can do the job perfectly on yourself but not on others, so I'm assuming the problem Is the 'others' and not the tips.

Whatever the reason, if this really is the way you feel and you want to give up, then I advise you to do just that and to find something to do that makes you happy. No one should have to feel such anxiety in a job that for most of us is not just a job, but a joy every single day and a life long passion.

Last edited:
I stop doing tips long ago .I only jus form so much better cheep to.No
nails popping off.No extra work love forms.I think the nails are more stronger t
Its one solid product no gleu that over time start to
come off the naturel nailbed.

Tips are the only thing I seem to lack confidence in? I've had my own salon for 5 years opened it straight out of college with no clients? Worked hour after hour & now have a client base if 1200? I love my job with a passion love shellac brisa gel facials etc & all the rest? It's just tips I struggle with? I trained with Ketan Patel in London on my conversion cnd course

He said my tips were lovely? I get a set in the salon & puff I go to bits? I was asking for advice from you lovely ladies to see if any one else is like me x

I'm going to get my nail class book out & start again I think as I really want to master it & I will ask ladies to be models so I stop being silly? Geeg I have no problems with confidence or people only when someone puts their hand across my desk & wants a tip on it lol x

I'm going to get my nail class book out & start again I think as I really want to master it & I will ask ladies to be models so I stop being silly? Geeg I have no problems with confidence or people only when someone puts their hand across my desk & wants a tip on it lol x

Sorry if I got the wrong end of your stick ... But none of that was explained in your original post so I responded to the post. To be honest, I don't get it. If you can do a perfect job with tips, why does it bother you to do them on a client?

Could it be more of a "people skills" problem than opposed to a "skills" problem?

I thonk you need to step back and take a breather. I to at one time had this issue with fills and smile lines. I took a break and after a bit I had my bestie who is a fantastic nail tech let me do a fill on her...I can honestly say that once I new exactly what I was doing wrong I got my flow going on. My confidence sky rocketed! She showed me a few things that made my fills and smilelines 100 percent better. Thanks to her I do wayy better nails. And I had been doing nails 2 years longer then her

Perhaps you need a refresher session one on one with a mentor or teacher. I know my problem was I felt I hadnt had enough guidence in school. I wish I had asked for help sooner instead of struggling for a year and a half...all it took was 2 hours and it completely helped me.

I dunno if that helps :) I hope it does

Why do you feel that way? You say your clients are happy. What sort of 'help' do you think we can give you? You lack in confidence in some way and I don't see how SalonGeek members can help with that. Your issue seems to be when working on others and this is a people business and its what we do! You say you want to give up ... Is what you really mean, that you don't want to give up? If you don't want to give up then I would seek help with your issues of confidence. If you think the problem is the tips, then maybe learn to sculpt. But from your post you say you can do the job perfectly on yourself but not on others, so I'm assuming the problem Is the 'others' and not the tips.

Whatever the reason, if this really is the way you feel and you want to give up, then I advise you to do just that and to find something to do that makes you happy. No one should have to feel such anxiety in a job that for most of us is not just a job, but a joy every single day and a life long passion.

I have to agree with this!

shelldavis....I don't think I could ever give up what I do, no matter how bad a day or time I have. I love my work. I think every Nail Tecnician feels deflated at some point, and are not happy with their work. But I shouldn't think that if they love what they do that much, it could put them off! I agree that, if you are good at doing it on yourself, but not others. It can't be a tip issue you have, but more of a confidence and nervous issue. I think you do have the skill to do the work, but you need to be more confident with working on clients! If this is the problem that can't be solved, then maybe do something you enjoy more, like sculpting!!!

There is nothing worse then not enjoying your job

Hello dear,
You state that you have been doing Nails for almost a year now in your salon. You also state that clients love the work that you are doing yet you arent satisfied with putting on the tips!
You stated that you are at the verge of giving up.
I have to say this only to help NOT hurt you! I am calling your bluff!

If you really were ready to quit doing nails you wouldnt be on here trying to get anyone to convince you to stay! Between You & me it's your business & you know what is best for Your business! You dont need anyone telling you otherwise! Please bare with me on this.

1. I dont think you have issues with people skills because you have 1200 clients. If it were a people skill issue then you would barely have any clients to begin with!

2. I dont think you lack confidence either, because your clients seem to be happy every time you do their nails even if you are arent! If it were a confidence thing you couldnt work on clients at all.

3. I think your problem is being too much of a perfectionist which is why you lack Patience!

Putting on tips is a tricky thing. Fitting them on, making sure there is no air bubbles after the nail glue before lining them on to get full coverage & making sure they are actually on straight. I can see why that is stressing you out. Then to blend & shape to perfection.
No one is a worse critic then we ourselves! It takes years to master and you barely have a year into nails. I agree, give yourself a breather.
Stop over analyzing how everything will turn out when you are done before you even begin. Relax & just do the best you can. If your clients are happy then just accept that & be happy you made them happy!

Geeg is right, I smell anxiety all over this! The question is why are you in such a state of anxiety?
Is it fear? Fear of not getting it done fast enough, Fear of not getting it done perfectly or do you feel stress because the client is watching you.
That has absolutely nothing to do with putting on tips! :rolleyes:

On the other hand dont think that sculpting is any less stressful.
Yes there are no tips but sometimes a client has no free edge to build on & trying to fit that form is just as stressful as trying to fit a nail tip on. Then you have the gel that sometimes likes to leak out under the form because there is no real free edge to stop it because you cant really get that form to sit snug tight under the nail.
It will frustrate you as well & sometimes you have to remove it completely & try it again.
I think all you need to do is keep practicing til you get it as perfect as you can get them to be & stop worrying!

If you dont have the patience to redo things then perhaps you shouldnt be doing nails for a while, maybe you can get someone to do the nails & you provide other services.
You shouldnt be in a state of anxiety, it's your salon, your clients your hours. What you should be is Happy & enjoying the fact that you have had a salon for 5 years & have 1200 clients! :smack:

Maybe the stress is getting to you period, not the nails or the clients.
Maybe you just need a good vacation with no cell phones & no one bothering you.

Here is an idea, perhaps treat yourself to a day at a spa. Make it a ritual once a week or once in 2 weeks to take the edge off.

Trust me, you dont want to give this up...it's too much fun! Loads of action & just think of all the happy people after your service.
So quit pouting & get to work! :) :Look_left(I am just kidding )

Hope this helps.

Have you tried well less tips instead that don't require blending and just a quick buff to remove the shine?

You're obviously excellent at your job (you have your own salon and lots of happy clients!) just somewhere down the line you've got it into your head that you "can't do tips on clients" so I think it's just a psychological problem and not a skill problem. Maybe if you try the well less tips that may take some of the stress out of the situation and you'll look at it with a fresh set of eyes. Hope that helps xx

2. I dont think you lack confidence either, because your clients seem to be happy every time you do their nails even if you are arent! If it were a confidence thing you couldnt work on clients at all.

Please don't take me the wrong way. She dislikes her work, but Clients liking her work, is a sure sign of not having confidence. Because she thinks it is bad, when it is obviously not that bad, if clients likes the work!!

People do things, even though they are nervous and have no confidence, I know I do!

Please dont take this the wrong way New Nailz, but I stand by what I said!

Someone that lacks confidence wouldnt be able to sit there for what ever time it took (1-2h) & do clients nails, over & over & over again, day after day all the while clients walking away happy as can be with their beautiful nails & proud to come back to her performance rather then walk out upset due to poor work!

Someone with lack of confidence would have their hands too shaky to work, in fear of messing up or worse & wind up walking away, not sit there performing an amazing set of nails!

Now, I am not here to argue with you on how you feel or how you do your services & appreciate it if you pm me if you any more issues with what advice I give in the future!

Thank you in advance & have a nice day!

Please dont take this the wrong way New Nailz, but I stand by what I said!

Someone that lacks confidence wouldnt be able to sit there for what ever time it took (1-2h) & do clients nails, over & over & over again, day after day all the while clients walking away happy as can be with their beautiful nails & proud to come back to her performance rather then walk out upset due to poor work!

Someone with lack of confidence would have their hands too shaky to work, in fear of messing up or worse & wind up walking away, not sit there performing an amazing set of nails!

Now, I am not here to argue with you on how you feel or how you do your services & appreciate it if you pm me if you any more issues with what advice I give in the future!

Thank you in advance & have a nice day!

I am not arguing lol. Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like I was being funny. This is why I said not to take it the wrong way.
I don't have issues with what you put either. I guess just different views!
It is really hard to say anything on here without people jumping on you

Last edited:
This thread is not about defending what we think confidence is .. the OP asked if anyone else had the same problem .. that was really her question ... and even I haven't answered it lol because I never have.

I think Stephanie gave a thoughtful, insightful, long and empathetic answer to the OP to try and help and so was the original post of New Nails giving her views ... we dont need to start a discussion about our personal views of what constitutes confidence, I dont think. Lets keep on topic, keep the peace and have a good weekend everyone.

This thread is not about defending what we think confidence is .. the OP asked if anyone else had the same problem .. that was really her question ... and even I haven't answered it lol because I never have.

I think Stephanie gave a thoughtful, insightful, long and empathetic answer to the OP to try and help and so was the original post of New Nails giving her views ... we dont need to start a discussion about our personal views of what constitutes confidence, I dont think. Lets keep on topic, keep the peace and have a good weekend everyone.

Ahhh yes, I agree. Her post was great. I was just mentioning it as sometimes I lose confidence, but just get on with it. To me, it was on topic as we are all trying to discuss the same thing and give our views to the OP. Nothing was mean't by what I said!

I have asked several times but I am now going to post this as some don't seem to get Rule No 7 of the salongeek site rules. It states the following.

Rule no. 7 ... Thou shalt Private Message if thy post is for one person

Posts like 'You go girlfriend' is like texting 10,000 people in hopes that one of them will be the person you are trying to talk to. If your message is for 1 person, PM it. If its for more, post it! This goes for thank yous as well ... if you want to thank someone individually then send then a thank you pm.

No one needs to justify what they do or say to every geek reading the thread if the discussion is really between 2 people. The last post should have been a pm to moi. and, just for reference as Stephanie pointed out, the convo between her and new nailz should both have been pm's between the two of them. We all need to remember this.

I have asked several times but I am now going to post this as some don't seem to get Rule No 7 of the salongeek site rules. It states the following.

Rule no. 7 ... Thou shalt Private Message if thy post is for one person

Posts like 'You go girlfriend' is like texting 10,000 people in hopes that one of them will be the person you are trying to talk to. If your message is for 1 person, PM it. If its for more, post it! This goes for thank yous as well ... if you want to thank someone individually then send then a thank you pm.

No one needs to justify what they do or say to every geek reading the thread if the discussion is really between 2 people. The last post should have been a pm to moi. and, just for reference as Stephanie pointed out, the convo between her and new nailz should both have been pm's between the two of them. We all need to remember this.

So the posts between you and I yesterday in the other thread. Why didn't you pm me? instead of just keep replying in that thread to me, when it was clearly off topic? Why are you not mod of this forum? It seems you act like one!!!

You know, I give up. The last few days, I haven't said anything right without you or someone taking it the wrong way. It seems this discussion forum is not of free speech at all!!

Hi ladies & thanks for the response, I've been in the salon all day with no chance to respond, I have no problems what so ever with confidence or people skills & love my job with a passion where I probably live breathe & eat it! I think it's more down to the fact it's a perfectionist thing & I'm a single mum of 3 with my own salon 3 dogs 2 cats 4 hens & 2 rabbits!! Oh & I do book keeping for a plumber ( I've done this for 11 years for him & he stood by me when I went to re- train from accounts to beauty) so I'm reluctant to let that go?? I've moved salon location to a bigger salon & gained more staff & more clients & I've just done a year at night school doing the nails & had a webshop designed to sell products on so yes I think it's probably I'm tired stressed & to much of a perfectionist but I won't settle or less in the salon as I feel ladies work so hard for their money they should only get the best from us?
I've brought my tips home & have got out my training hand & my nail class book ( geeg) your my hero lol & I'm going to sit down take my time & master it! I'm not a quitter & i will master this xx thanks you for all your comments

Latest posts

Back