Important information regarding who injects botox in your salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smooth

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks.

This will not apply if you have a doctor, dentist or nurse prescriber in your salon administering botox to your clients. Legislation has now changed in that if you have a non prescriber in your salon they can no longer use fax, e-mail or telephone call to do remote consultations/prescriptions. The clients you recommend to them need to physically see the prescriber before the botox is prescribed, dispensed and administered.

All this has come about from consultations over the years with Department of Health, IHAS and professional regulatory bodies. There has been a tv documentary plus BBC radio coverage concerning this matter.

Do you want to make sure that you/your injector is injecting legally? Please post any questions or how they are currently working so we can advise you accordingly on how to change your/their practice to meet with current guidelines.

Good post Smooth. And not soon enough! However there are still certain remote providers who will continue to ignore this and move the goalposts (without mentioning names we know who the person concerned is)!

The individual is now terming the use of botox as 'medical' and not 'cosmetic' thereby continuing to get around this with the nurses concerned. Even though the procedure is "medical cosmetic". Hopefully this loophole will also soon be closed. Watch this space!

I listened to radio five live over the weekend. Was a little frustrated they didn't emphasise nurse prescribers as being different to nurse injectors. Was even more perplexed to hear a nurse advocate the use of remote prescribing for cosmetic injectables! she went on to say how she felt this practice was safer than a nurse prescriber - go figure! (obviously this nurse was not a prescriber).

At least we are both working ethically and legally and more importantly, safely as we have both put the graft and effort into attaining prescribing status (of which I am very proud)!

Hi fellow geeks.

This will not apply if you have a doctor, dentist or nurse prescriber in your salon administering botox to your clients. Legislation has now changed in that if you have a non prescriber in your salon they can no longer use fax, e-mail or telephone call to do remote consultations/prescriptions. The clients you recommend to them need to physically see the prescriber before the botox is prescribed, dispensed and administered.

All this has come about from consultations over the years with Department of Health, IHAS and professional regulatory bodies. There has been a tv documentary plus BBC radio coverage concerning this matter.

Do you want to make sure that you/your injector is injecting legally? Please post any questions or how they are currently working so we can advise you accordingly on how to change your/their practice to meet with current guidelines.

Can a dentist prescribe botox?

I know, I couldn't believe that nurse!! It is safer because the nurse has successfully passed the prescribers course and deemed suitable and capable of prescribing (and we both know the course is not easy nor is it taken on lightly). The fact that the prescriber can see the patient face to face will highlight muscular atrophy, lack of infection or undiagnosed suspect lesions etc. Having a doctor prescribe or a nurse prescribe is the same thing as long as the nurse is competent in that area of medicine, which when working in aesthetics you obviously are as otherwise you should not be injecting in the first place.

The NMC still class medical botox administration, hyperhidrosis and migraines, as non life threatening so in this circumstance the remote consultation is still classed as a remote prescription and therefore should not be undertaken.

I thought a lot of prescribers would be protecting their business however, a lot are advising nurses of this even before they do training which is good so it seems that all medical staff are coming together to protect the industry and nursing registration. I wanted to send you a link but you have removed the ability to do this from here.

Obviously, it has been termed differently, but in the eyes of the professional body it is still a remote prescription which should only be used in exceptional circumstances, of which cosmetic or medical botox is not one of them according to NMC.

Last edited:
I know, I couldn't believe that nurse!! It is safer because the nurse has successfully passed the prescribers course and deemed suitable and capable of prescribing (and we both know the course is not easy nor is it taken on lightly). The fact that the prescriber can see the patient face to face will highlight muscular atrophy, lack of infection or undiagnosed suspect lesions etc. Having a doctor prescribe or a nurse prescribe is the same thing as long as the nurse is competent in that area of medicine, which when working in aesthetics you obviously are as otherwise you should not be injecting in the first place.

The NMC still class medical botox administration, hyperhidrosis and migraines, as non life threatening so in this circumstance the remote consultation is still classed as a remote prescription and therefore should not

Obviously, it has been termed differently, but in the eyes of the professional body it is still a remote prescription which should only be used in exceptional circumstances, of which cosmetic or medical botox is not one of them
according to NMC.

Yes Smooth I am aware of all that, we both are, particularly in relation as to the whys and wherefores of safe practice, (good god i've been in this profession long enough), however this doctor is advising his nurses otherwise which is quite shocking really. And I am sure will continue to do so for financial gain (not disclosing any names)! So this practice will continue for a while yet. And it is those nurses who are actually being placed in a very vulnerable position.

In reply to the question re dentists - yes, dentists can prescribe and administer botox.

Can a dentist prescribe botox?

As daisyl said, yes. They have limited prescribing rights in dentistry but can prescribe botox.

Yes Smooth I am aware of all that, we both are, particularly in relation as to the whys and wherefores of safe practice, (good god i've been in this profession long enough), however this doctor is advising his nurses otherwise which is quite shocking really. And I am sure will continue to do so for financial gain (not disclosing any names)! So this practice will continue for a while yet. And it is those nurses who are actually being placed in a very vulnerable position.

In reply to the question re dentists - yes, dentists can prescribe and administer botox.

Sorry yes, it was mainly so others could see the answer, i know you know what you are talking about and will not compromise patient care. Have you caught sight of the feedback from NMC guidelines from the doctors? x

Sorry yes, it was mainly so others could see the answer, i know you know what you are talking about and will not compromise patient care. Have you caught sight of the feedback from NMC guidelines from the doctors? x[/QUOTE]

No I haven't. Can you post link? I will have look on GMC web

Sorry yes, it was mainly so others could see the answer, i know you know what you are talking about and will not compromise patient care. Have you caught sight of the feedback from NMC guidelines from the doctors? x

No I haven't. Can you post link? I will have look on GMC web[/QUOTE]

It's something that I was sent in an e-mail, can you message me your address and I'll forward it on? It needs to be passed on to all in the industry. It's shocking, I can't post it on here as it's too large and it names the person in it so it's not right really to post on here. As you said before, mentioning no names!!! x

No I haven't. Can you post link? I will have look on GMC web

It's something that I was sent in an e-mail, can you message me your address and I'll forward it on? It needs to be passed on to all in the industry. It's shocking, I can't post it on here as it's too large and it names the person in it so it's not right really to post on here. As you said before, mentioning no names!!! x[/QUOTE]

I have had an email. Not sure if its the same one we are talking about. Will pm you my email. Thanks x

Interesting posts... This has massive implications for the whole industry!

Luckily I'm also a prescriber and think it is only right that patients should be assessed by the prescriber as over the phone is not enough. I do or did feel video consults were better but still not ideal.

I also wondered why these doctors were willing to take such responsibility for the nurse injectors without seeing the patients as it would be partly their issue if something went wrong! Probably the money?

I wonder how it us going to be enforced though? Suppose we'll have to wait and see!

X

Interesting posts... This has massive implications for the whole industry!

Luckily I'm also a prescriber and think it is only right that patients should be assessed by the prescriber as over the phone is not enough. I do or did feel video consults were better but still not ideal.

I also wondered why these doctors were willing to take such responsibility for the nurse injectors without seeing the patients as it would be partly their issue if something went wrong! Probably the money?

I wonder how it us going to be enforced though? Suppose we'll have to wait and see!

X

Well the prescriber is only accountable for the prescription so as long as there are no contraindications they are fine, but the injector is accountable for the administration of it so if it goes wrong at injector level then the prescriber will blame the nurse. I am glad in a way that the guidelines are now clear, no-one now has the excuse of "well it's a grey area". It is in black and white, some doctors are taking it on board already some are trying to find a way around it. I can't see there being one to be honest, face to face consultations or a be a prescriber. x

Has there been a response from doctors anywhere? I've looked on the gmc website but can't see anything x

Has there been a response from doctors anywhere? I've looked on the gmc website but can't see anything x

Individual doctors yes, but we do know that they are all working together to standardise the industry and the latest regulations are the start. I spoke to insurance companies yesterday and they all said that if a registrant gets struck off they won't get insurance, also that if you break the law it does invalidate your insurance.

So all those non prescribing nurses and beauty therapists who inject botox, you will be breaking the law unless you have a doctor in your clinic physically telling you what to do. A blanket prescription of 100 units of botox or 50 units of vistabel is not adequate for botox administration. This means that unfortunately you are not insured. Fillers are a different kettle of fish so that is ok.

GMC have details within their good medical practice regarding the use of remote prescriptions and list botox/vistabel/dysport specifically as not being appropiate.

i'm sure the nurses who are affected will have informed the Drs concerned.

GMC have details within their good medical practice regarding the use of remote prescriptions and list botox/vistabel/dysport specifically as not being appropiate.

i'm sure the nurses who are affected will have informed the Drs concerned.

I didn't think theirs had come out so quick!! Can you message us the link please or is it easy to find on the website. Actually some doctors are telling nurses it is ok to carry on regardless!

In light of new legislation regarding remote prescribing in particular and also the loss of some aesthetic providers in South Yorkshire-we would like to inform any salon owners that we may be able to provide our botox and dermal filler treatments within your salon .
This can provide a healthy additional income to your salon along with introducing clients who in turn will see other services you provide.
We offer -
Our years of experience,expertly provided treatments,quality safe products ,are fully indemnified ,plus full follow up service .
For further info please contact Gaynor on 07984 909395
or visit our website face-facts.net.

I thought you were Sharon but looked at your website and you are not. Hello and welcome to salon geek. There are a lot of prescribers on here offering to go into salons in this area, I have even offered to find practitioners for anyone on here but at least we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.
x

Thank you for your welcome ,yes we are singing from the same hymn sheet .We recognise too the importance of safe injecting and regulations in place to promote this .We have patients at present visit us at our clinic from all over the country and abroad along with years of experience .We therefore are happy to visit other salons/clinics to provide our experience and services if required or provide advice .
Thanks again ,Gaynor face-facts.net

Hi Gaynor

I saw your thread on beauty therapists injecting and just wanted to say that it was a sore subject on here and other threads have got heated and not necessarily in a good way either.

The other thing is that salon geek doesn't like you promoting your business on here, well unless the geek commandments have changed, but it has always been set in stone. Just a heads up.
x

hello ,thank you for your words of advice .Sorry didnt realise there were guidelines on the site ,however cant see the difference between us offering a experienced reliable practitioner same as yourself sourcing others for clinics and salons .With regards to the question ,just genuinely interested -not wanting to stir up things x

Latest posts

Back