Impossible timings

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelardn

Reaction score
Recently posted how I'm expected to do full set of acrylics in under an hour.
I've now just been told I have to do a file and polish, fingers and toes in no more than 30 mins.
Is this achievable?

I'm so fed up with getting told I'm too slow. Feel like giving up

the only reason i can guess you are being asked to do this is because your employer wants bums on seats.

fair play but (and this is a big but), if this comprimises on the quality of the treatments, i don't think trying to cut timings down in the long run is going to help.

30mins for a file and polish on both the hands and feet is maybe possible in some cases but with some colours and a french polish this might be pushing it.

i bet there are people who can do a full set of acrylics in an hour but again, i think there are some cases where fitting the treatment into an hour is pushing it..for example if sculpting is required and/or if the client has an unusual nail shape.

i don't think these timings are impossible but i think there is a flaw in demanding this is possible on every occaision.

Awh don't give up my love!! I am still a bit slack on timings but I do a thorough job, and would rather that. People comment on it and come back because of it! Is your boss a therapist themselves? And if so are they doing these treatments in this time?

It does seem a bit excessive if you are expected to do base polish and top coat. All you can do is try your best would you be able to do a practise run on your boss or I front of your boss to show how much is involved and how much you are capable of in the timings you are given. That way your boss can see your speed and can take in the work required for 30minutes. X

Ps Keep your head up and don't let it get you down if your clients are happy and your happy with the results then that's what matters. Concentrate on your results and stay positive you will naturally pick up speed as you go on x

This is my first salon job. I've worked from home since I qualified in march.
I have my acrylics down to 90 mins and I thought that was the norm.
The owner is a beauty therapist but doesn't do nails.
I was doing a set of acrylics and she told me to just skip the cuticle work.
I just can't do a botch job and then expect the client to pay top prices.
She has just signed up to groupon hence the 30min finger and toes limit.
Oh also she expects me to do polish pro in 30 mins too.
It's really getting me down and wishing I had never took the job

I couldn't achieve these times......I do work for myself though, for me its not about rush rush rush........I prefer quality and value for money, this has worked for me as I am always fully booked..........happy me, happy clients xxx

Its fair enough to get as many bottoms on seats but you need these bottoms to come back......xxx

This is my first salon job. I've worked from home since I qualified in march.
I have my acrylics down to 90 mins and I thought that was the norm.
The owner is a beauty therapist but doesn't do nails.
I was doing a set of acrylics and she told me to just skip the cuticle work.
I just can't do a botch job and then expect the client to pay top prices.
She has just signed up to groupon hence the 30min finger and toes limit.
Oh also she expects me to do polish pro in 30 mins too.
It's really getting me down and wishing I had never took the job

The only thing you can do is explain that to your boss. I'm assuming she signed up to grouping to get new clients but if a shoddy job is done then there will be no repeat business which is the main reason groupon is used. Hopefully your boss understands this and lays off you with all the time limits xxx

Yeah she knew what time I took. I was timed at my trade test. Seemed fine about my timings then but it's all changed now. It's soul destroying x

File and polish fingers and toes is easily achieveable. Prob 10 mins each. An hour for acrylics!!! My nail tech can do a full set of sculptured acrylic/gels in just over an hour if she pushes it. Mind you she is very fast, and her nails are very very good. We do however allow an hour and a half, as dont want clients thinking its a rush job and they like to have a chat.

I have just started a new job and am having exactly the same issues! It really gets you down doesn't it?! I've only just started and I'm already thinking of handing my notice in. I do hairdressing too and have no junior and no drinks machine, I have to run all the way to the other end of the building to get them a drink, which also has to fit into the service times :eek: I wish I could do it that quick and also do a good job as I love the place otherwise. I just don't want to get sloppy with my work because I'm panicking about being fast!
I have talked to my boss and they are giving me a bit extra time for the first few months until I get used to their products and the clients etc. Maybe you should tell your boss that you don't feel that you can do a good job in those times and see what she says. You have nothing to lose if you hate it at the moment anyway. Hope you get it sorted :hug:

It's horrible being told you have to be quicker than you can manage.

How long does it take you to do a file and polish for hands and feet?

I would do it in half an hour, though i take longer for french so i'd probably book 45 mins, just in case, and some clients do have a difficult polish to remove. Particularly if it is a dark or a red polish. Sometimes they've applied it themselves and it can have bled onto the cuticle, making it hard to remove, or they haven't used a base coat and so it has stained, etc.

Have you spoken with your boss about your concerns?

xx

hiya i think you should agree with your boss, tell them yep you can slap it on, it's nearly guareented to look like sh*t but if you are expected to build you a client base who are happy with their nails and happy to show them off to friends and recommend your salon then you need to be given a reasonable time frame to do an application to be proud of...

Yes a file and paint is a achievable in 30 mins, but does this include client choosing polish, getting in the seat, then getting out the seat, to reception and then back to set up ? If so that is so rushed, the client would feel really rushed too!
Have a word with your manager/boss! Hope it all goes well xxx

My customers notice when I'm in a rush and it's a horrible feeling!! This is supposed to be a stress free trade!! I have been mobile for 7 yrs and thought working in a posh salon would make me feel amazing, instead I had a boss that made me drop all my times and didn't let me have a break, I was self employed so I don't have a massive choice when he took half my takings, sounded great at the time in the interview! Guess what, in back mobile also with health probs because I pushed myself too hard :( please try to speak to your boss and get your working life back on track. It's not worth getting I'll over! Good luck darlin ;) x

I used to do a full set of sculptured acrylics (pink and whites) within an hour. this was what was expected of us and they even pushed us to try and better that too!! Due to the managers and owner pushing us so much I damaged my hand at work, required an operation on it and on returning to work was bullied so much I finally gave in and left. I now am self employed, working at my own speed and turning out beautiful nails with clients returning regularly. I mix mobile and work with a salon. Love it. Best move ever.

Dont push yourself just to please them. they will just keep pushing and pushing. Not worth it.

Thank you for all your replies.
I've tried asking for a little more time just till I get my speed up a bit but she not prepared to budge. She wants me bringing in between 30 - 60 quid an hour.
I love doing nails but I'm getting that horrible dreaded feel when my alarm goes off in the morning.
I thought she would give me a bit of slack to start with as she knows I am new to the industry. But it seems obvious that quantity comes before quality xx

Thank you for all your replies.
I've tried asking for a little more time just till I get my speed up a bit but she not prepared to budge. She wants me bringing in between 30 - 60 quid an hour.
I love doing nails but I'm getting that horrible dreaded feel when my alarm goes off in the morning.
I thought she would give me a bit of slack to start with as she knows I am new to the industry. But it seems obvious that quantity comes before quality xx

Tell her to up her prices then no one would have to work really hard!

A good piece of advice I have heard was you will do it in the timing if that's all the time you give yourself. Well it works. I never go over my limits very much at all anymore and I'm starting to turn out some great work too. It helps with your concentrating too. Hth x

Latest posts

Back