Ingredients in Creative enamels?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkshell_nails

Reaction score
I had a lady come into my salon a few weeks ago, and she asked if creative enamels contained formaldehyde, to which i replied "no", as this is what ive been led to believe. The reason being, is that this lady is allergic to formaldehyde, therefore wanted a polish that didnt contain it. She bought one and off she went, quite happy. She returned on saturday, to say she had had some sort of allergic reaction to the enamel, and did i think there could be any formaldehyde in it. I have rang creative head office in leeds, and left a message, asking for a list of the ingredients, and no one has got back to me as yet. So can any of you geeks shed any light on the ingredients, do creative enamels contain formaldehyde, and if not what do they contain, as this client may be allergic to another of the ingredients. None of the enamels contain lists of the ingredients on the back. The polish she bought and used was "frisky". Thanks in advance guys.

they contain Formaldehyde Resin but it's not the same as 'normal' Formaldehyde, unsure what the other ingredients are though.

ValencianNails said:
they contain Formaldehyde Resin but it's not the same as 'normal' Formaldehyde, unsure what the other ingredients are though.

Perhaps it could have been this? Im really not sure. I thought that perhaps she was allergic to a different ingredient. She is ok to use the polish on her toes, its just if she uses it on her hands, then touches her face, she gets a reaction.

does it not say on msds sheets hun ?
kx

pinkshell_nails said:
Perhaps it could have been this? Im really not sure. I thought that perhaps she was allergic to a different ingredient. She is ok to use the polish on her toes, its just if she uses it on her hands, then touches her face, she gets a reaction.

I'll have to get them out and check. It was a busy saturday afternoon, my other tech was off ill, I was in the middle of a treatment, rushed off my feet, so you can picture the scene! I'll check it out tomorrow.

not sure about this as im at home with enamels at work, but underneath the bottle there is a label which i think peels back to reveal ingrediants i think lol!!!
please let me know i havent dreamt this ( as ive been having wierd dreams lately lol, just ask izzy lol)

ingredients :

toluene
butyl acetate
ethyl acetate
isopropyl alcohol
nitrocellulose
dibutyl phthalate
camphor

other components present in less than 1% concentration and do not contribute any significant additional hazzards

gosh the whole composition and ingredient information blows me away - have copied the above for you ... good luck :eek:

what about base coats / top coats etc hun ?

kx

yes you are right, there are a few other ingredients listed, too small for me to read and copy here ! maybe the others are the ones with the 1% composition ?

doh, sory not helping much eh !:o

kx

lotus blossom said:
not sure about this as im at home with enamels at work, but underneath the bottle there is a label which i think peels back to reveal ingrediants i think lol!!!
please let me know i havent dreamt this ( as ive been having wierd dreams lately lol, just ask izzy lol)

Sandi is right...the enamels and in fact Stickey, toughen Up and Super Shiney ALL contain Formalehyde Resin to provide a flexible coating and promote adhesion. This is not the same as formaldehyde! this is the premier resin for high quality, professional nail colour products.

Shame she has had this reaction as Frisky is such a lovely colour!

Nikki...stop sniffing the enamel!!

Thanks for the help guys, as usual you are all stars!! xxxx

Is it Phenolformaldehyde resin that is used in Creative enamels?

I don't think the ingredients list will specify the exact type of Phenolformaldehyde resin it contains, but if it is a P-tert-butylphenol formaldehyde resin, this is a condensation product of butylphenol and formaldehyde, and causes the most sensitivity of any of the Phenolformaldehyde resins.

HTH:D

CND uses: "Tosylamide/Formaldehyde Resin (TAF resin)" as per their MSDS sheets you can see ingredients fully listed.

TAF resin is to date the most durable resin for enamels. it does mean that there is 0.002% formaldehyde, but this trace amount is far too low to cause concern unless a client is already allergic to formaldehyde. The only way to get rid of this from the formula is to use inferior polymers.

This information is available in Doug Schoon's Nail structure and product chemistry book. I recommend you have a read through.

Latest posts

Back