Inland Revenue Course - Becoming Self Employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire-Bear

Reaction score
Hiya all

I'm going on the half day Inland Revenue 'Becoming Self Employed' course on Tuesday (have been waiting since last April when I actually became self-employed!!!)

Just wondered if anyone had any questions for me to ask them....................you know what I mean, maybe someone attended the course and on the way home thought of a question that they wish they had asked!!

I'm really looking forward to attending as I want to know just what kind of things I can claim for................I'm in the middle of compiling my list so if anyone has any questions let me know and I'll ask them on their behalf and report back on Tuesday.

Claire

Sounds interesting! Are you a sole trader, a partnership, or do you run a limited company? I do my IT work via a limited company and have an accountant - accountants can be pretty useful when it comes to knowing the ins and outs of the tax system.

But definitely quiz them on what you can claim on expenses etc.

Ruth

I'm a sole trader. I rent a room from a hairdresser and am slowly building up my clientele but it's been very slow. So the more I can put against expenses the better!!!

I am from an 'accounts background' although not by any means an accountant - so I am confident in doing my own books and returns but just want to know if there are any hidden items I can claim back!!! Better in my pocket than the tax mans :lol:

Definitely! Am sure you are already claiming back the rent on the room you use as a business expense - plus anything you spend on products etc.

Am not sure how the tax situation works for a sole trader; the way it works for me is that my company pays me a salary (which the company pays PAYE tax and NI on, including employer's NI) and then I can take a dividend every quarter (which the company pays corporation tax on), and then I have to pay extra tax on top of that when I send in my self assessment return. My company is VAT registered as well, although I think you only need to be VAT registered if your turnover is in excess of something like £60K a year (I forget the exact figure).

Ruth

your course sounds interesting,i cant think of anything for you to ask them but please let us know how it went and any interesting things you found out.x

Hi Claire-Bear,

I have been on this course before and it is very thorough and really helpful. Don't worry if you forget something as they usually give out business cards so you can contact them directly later on. You should also go on the 'Self Assessment for the Self Employed' course as this will go into more detail regarding what you can claim against your tax.

Have fun!

Em x

Can you tell me how you got on this course?
I looked it up a while back and couldn't find any info.
Good luck with it

Hiya All

I will report back to you all after the course. I have a very long list of questions to ask..............hopefully they will answer most of these as we go through the course and I won't have to make a fool of myself as I unfold the list!!!:rolleyes:

Can you tell me how you got on this course?
I looked it up a while back and couldn't find any info.
Good luck with it
When i registered to say i was self employed now with the inland revenue,i asked them about this course,they then sent me out a letter with a website address to fill a form in as for my choice of location for the course,they then emailed me a date to attend,im doing mine in March.

sorry can I be a cheely mare and ask what sort of things you're planning on asking them? As I am going on this course next Thursday and am feeling a bit overwhelmed! :)

just wanted to bump this thread up a bit - I go on the same course on Thursday :)

Latest posts

Back