Introduction of the mask?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickafish

Reaction score
When I visited Japan back in '09, the first thing I noticed when I went out in public was face masks. Everywhere I looked, there was guaranteed to be someone in a face mask. Now... I read a lot of manga, and watch a good amount of anime, and was well aware that Japanese people wear face masks in public when they've got a cold, cough, ect. I was just amazed that it was common practice and not something made up, and thought it was a neat idea.

I bring this up because earlier today, I had to make a quick run to the store to do some light food shopping. I was waiting in line at the self check-out when "achoo!" *a good amount of stranger's spittle lands on the back of my neck* :Scared: I didn't get an "excuse me" or a "sorry" or a "pardon me". Instead, the poor excuse of a woman just rolled her eyes at me when I turned around. Rude! And this isn't the first time it's happened. I'm sure we're all seen people cough on their hands and touch stuff right after. People sneezing or coughing without covering their mouths. And it just thought... wouldn't it just be easier if people wore face masks when in public when they're sick so they can keep majority of their germs to themselves?

Am I a crazy germaphobe for thinking this? Or do majority of people think it's ok to go coughing and sneezing on everyone and everything, and I'm just overreacting?

When I visited Japan back in '09, the first thing I noticed when I went out in public was face masks. Everywhere I looked, there was guaranteed to be someone in a face mask. Now... I read a lot of manga, and watch a good amount of anime, and was well aware that Japanese people wear face masks in public when they've got a cold, cough, ect. I was just amazed that it was common practice and not something made up, and thought it was a neat idea.

I bring this up because earlier today, I had to make a quick run to the store to do some light food shopping. I was waiting in line at the self check-out when "achoo!" *a good amount of stranger's spittle lands on the back of my neck* :Scared: I didn't get an "excuse me" or a "sorry" or a "pardon me". Instead, the poor excuse of a woman just rolled her eyes at me when I turned around. Rude! And this isn't the first time it's happened. I'm sure we're all seen people cough on their hands and touch stuff right after. People sneezing or coughing without covering their mouths. And it just thought... wouldn't it just be easier if people wore face masks when in public when they're sick so they can keep majority of their germs to themselves?

Am I a crazy germaphobe for thinking this? Or do majority of people think it's ok to go coughing and sneezing on everyone and everything, and I'm just overreacting?

You have to remember the population density in Japan compared to the uk. Germs spread faster there due to such close contact.
I agree sneezing on someone is discusting and a hand or tissue should be used (I also Cary hand gel), but no way would I wear a mask. They just look reduculous. Wacko Jacko wore one.... The name says it all haha xoxo

lol! Well I do live rather close to central London, and it gets pretty packed in most places, especially during the weekends, and on certain tube lines. Maybe I'll just start wearing a face mask for myself. I want this one!
surgical-mask-hello-kitty.jpg

I think you do have to draw a line , our immune system develops mostly to being exposed to other peoples nasties ,

i grew up in London and i just had my first cold in about 3 years , im sure growing up with people everywhere helped ,

this winter ive seen alot of people wearing masks , they give them out at the doctors if your there with a cold .

my 14 year old must have grabbed a few , the other morning at about 6AM he woke me up while wearing one ! I just about %^&* my self !

as for sanitizer ,I carry mundo foot sanitizer (the little green spray one) and when we go to theme parks and stuff i will spray toilets , flushes , taps , for my kids ,

I was waiting in line at the self check-out when "achoo!" *a good amount of stranger's spittle lands on the back of my neck* :Scared: I didn't get an "excuse me" or a "sorry" or a "pardon me". Instead, the poor excuse of a woman just rolled her eyes at me when I turned around.

As well as rude that is just disgusting. I always cover my mouth and then use sanitizer after. I would have said something to her if that was me.

As well as rude that is just disgusting. I always cover my mouth and then use sanitizer after. I would have said something to her if that was me.

I purposely left out my actions following her rolling her eyes. It wasn't pretty. :lol:

I would of gave her a dirty used tissue from my bag and asked her if she wanted my germs too

I would of gave her a dirty used tissue from my bag and asked her if she wanted my germs too

My brain didn't let me think of anything witty like that. I was just so mad she got her spit and snot all up on the back of my neck and had the nerve to look at me like I'm wrong. I think by now, store security knows me pretty well hahaha

I think you do have to draw a line , our immune system develops mostly to being exposed to other peoples nasties ,

i grew up in London and i just had my first cold in about 3 years , im sure growing up with people everywhere helped ,

this winter ive seen alot of people wearing masks , they give them out at the doctors if your there with a cold .

my 14 year old must have grabbed a few , the other morning at about 6AM he woke me up while wearing one ! I just about %^&* my self !

as for sanitizer ,I carry mundo foot sanitizer (the little green spray one) and when we go to theme parks and stuff i will spray toilets , flushes , taps , for my kids ,

Agreed, its proven that's how we get immune. Children in homes that are too clean often get athsma in later life xoxo

I purposely left out my actions following her rolling her eyes. It wasn't pretty. :lol:
ssshhhkkk...can i hear a giant can of whup ass getting opened?:lol:x

Latest posts

Back