Is doing enhancements not for me??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm beginning to wonder if doing nail enhancements is not for me..... I love doing manicures but have always been a bit worried doing the gel nails - worrying that they're not that good, and they're going to lift, and I hate doing infills / rebalance. I thought perhaps over time that worry would go but it hasn't and each time I have to do a set of nails I get nervous whereas I don't feel like that with manicures. I've put a few threads on here lately enquiring about different training providers, thinking that maybe I need a new approach to it all but I'm not sure that will help. Has anyone else felt like this? And is there anyone who just does manicures and pedicures on a mobile basis and is managing successfully?

x

How long have you been doing enhancements Naomi?
I felt like this when i first started and then when making the move to working mobile but i'm slowly starting to gain more confidence and getting more experiance.

If it makes you feel sick to be doing it then i think you need to think about how it's making you feel and if it's worth it.

Have you tried some one on one training with and NSI educator? This may help with building up your confidence. :hug::hug::hug:

ღMandyღ;781744 said:
How long have you been doing enhancements Naomi?
I felt like this when i first started and then when making the move to working mobile but i'm slowly starting to gain more confidence and getting more experiance.

If it makes you feel sick to be doing it then i think you need to think about how it's making you feel and if it's worth it.

Have you tried some one on one training with and NSI educator? This may help with building up your confidence. :hug::hug::hug:

Hi Mandy

Just replied to your PM! I'm sure I would get better over time but I just feel anxious when booked in to do a full set, and even more so at infill time. And I want to look forward to all my appointments like I do with manicures. That's why I've been curious of the other companies, maybe different products feel different to work with? I don't know. I qualified back in October last year but because I didnt feel confident I didn't do many sets at all, and the ones I have done have mainly been on friends. I started trying to learn l&p originally and just couldn't get to grips with it at all, hence why I converted to gel. My trainer does do 1 to 1 but to be honest at the moment I haven't got the money to do it. It's weird - I love the nail and beauty industry so I feel I'm letting myself down by feeling this way.

I think that kind of confidence just comes with time and learning to believe in yourself.

I still have times after i've done a set where i get that horrid feeling in my gut and think to myself "god what if they are lifting already" or "what if they fall off!" then i think that if it's gonna happen then it will but i know i have done everything correctly so it shouldn't happen and (touch wood) never has.

My confidence grows everytime a client returns :)

Don't let it get you down though, you'll work through it. :hug:

in my very humble opinion, there are different things to take into consideration.

you CANNOT work with a product if you don't have any good feeling with it. I love the products I work with and am really and totally confident with them. it doesn't mean that I am confident with what I do all the time, but I KNOW I cannot blame my products if there's a problem, it's either me either the client's fault.

then you HAVE to be confident in your skills, YOU're the one doing the set, YOU know. period.
I often had clients who would just tell me to do this instead of what I was doing and I was like "maybe she knows better than me" well in fact she doesn't. and you have to keep that in mind.
as for your fear of infills, at first I think we all had probs with that because you'd think it won't take as much time as a full set and when you start you need like 3 hours to manage it... again it's a matter of practice, and of knowledge, you then learn what to file and where to fill.

practice as much as you can, try maybe different products and find what suits you best, in brushes, powders, systems, desk, chair, lamp, everything. I found that OPI offered me everything I needed, but you may need to pick items from here and there to build your confidence and look forward to infills.

you also have, I think, to open up to your clients about it, and if you speak to them they'll talk to you and the time of the infill will go faster, and you'll learn to love your clients and you'll be looking forward to seeing them again, no matter what they book.

hi there...I am new to this website but it seems like we are in very similar in what we are experiencing. Which L & P did you start up with when you started learning and which Gel do you use now? How long after learning L & P did you actually practise at home and when did you start charging your first customer?

hi there...I am new to this website but it seems like we are in very similar in what we are experiencing. Which L & P did you start up with when you started learning and which Gel do you use now? How long after learning L & P did you actually practise at home and when did you start charging your first customer?

Hi

I trained with NSI so started learning the l&p with them first and then switched to NSI gel. Ever since starting both the l&p and gel I was practising at home (on friends and my nail trainer) amd it was a good couple of months after qualifying with gel before I charged someone. I didnt feel confident though that they were worth what she paid.

hi ya, i have just finished work, only 2 clear infill today as i had to finish early, when i started buffing the gel started breaking away an i thought s..t there gonna be bad, when i finished i thought hey no fill line, good clear colour, why did i worry BUT i know i will feel the same next time but i think the more you do the better you will feel x i still worry lots at the mo x

hi noodles
you have written exactly what i have been feeling recently. everytime i do enhancements they lift. i wonder if its the product. but i am going to get some training with creative in the near future because i believe it may be lack of training that causes the issues.
xxxx:eek:

Hi Noodles I started my mobile business with just Manis and Pedis and it worked well but I wasn't full time. I now have a salon and offer more treatments. I would say the same as the others, maybe try a different product, brushes etc. You will get there, don't give in, I still have pooey days now!

Hi Mandy

Just replied to your PM! I'm sure I would get better over time but I just feel anxious when booked in to do a full set, and even more so at infill time. And I want to look forward to all my appointments like I do with manicures. That's why I've been curious of the other companies, maybe different products feel different to work with? I don't know. I qualified back in October last year but because I didnt feel confident I didn't do many sets at all, and the ones I have done have mainly been on friends. I started trying to learn l&p originally and just couldn't get to grips with it at all, hence why I converted to gel. My trainer does do 1 to 1 but to be honest at the moment I haven't got the money to do it. It's weird - I love the nail and beauty industry so I feel I'm letting myself down by feeling this way.

Whatever you do don't give up. I was exactly like you, had the exact same feelings and was so close to giving up. I always panicked when asked to do enhancements because I was worried they wouldn't last, they'd break, lift etc and I would get a bad reputation. So like you I concentrated on manicures and pedicures. If ever anyone asked for extensions I would say I've run out of product or make up some silly excuse. I converted to Creative but like you couldn't afford to do one 2 one's so struggled on. Because I love enhancements and have a passion for nails I decided to just go for it. I found an educator who taught me to use my Creative products and I feel so full of confidence. It's all in the training, you really do have to train it's the only way to get past your fears and become confident. I know I still have a way to go, but if anyone asks for extensions I now have the confidence to do them. I haven't mastered the rebalances yet, so will have to dodge those until I get the training, but I'll keep on training for as long as it takes. If it's want you enjoy, don't give up.

If you really don't love what you do ... then don't do it.

By all means if you feel more education will fix your problems fine but if you are as anxious as you say and as nervous about the outcome as you say then that is no fun. When it stops being fun then it's time to move on.

hi hun
Give it a bit more time theres a lot of us that feel this way at the start its just your nerves hun,you should feel better as time goes on. good luck hun chin up.xxxxx

Latest posts

Back