is it possible to run beauty business as single mum?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahc

Reaction score
im planning to leave my partner in the new year, he's bled me dry and have just found out he's not been paying the council tax or mortgage .. exact thing that happened to my sister (posted on here cpl week ago) you couldnt make it up !!! :0

i was single parent when started business, but had money from sale of flat and worked pt time so wasnt claiming benefits

im now working as a mua and do occasional nails with no other income, support with childminding not a problem , just wondering if still going to be able to work if claiming council tax and will they make up the difference to anything i earn if not busy iyswim ? i currently work approx 14 hrs week but will they stop my benefits if earn over certain amt

I think you would be best to ask the benefit place love. That's the only way you will know for certain :).

This sounds terrible and I hope everything goes well for you, a new year and a new start. Xxxx

You might be better off with working tax credits / child tax credits. Better for s/employed people I think. But no reason why you can't run a business as a single mum.

thanks, i have appt with my local (well 14 miles away!!) benefits office next week, just wondered if anyone worked as a therapist and claimed lone parent benefits and were able to make it work

thanks, i have appt with my local (well 14 miles away!!) benefits office next week, just wondered if anyone worked as a therapist and claimed lone parent benefits and were able to make it work

Omg I read your post about your sis couple of weeks ago u poor thing yes u can claim benefits if you work you just can't earn over a certain amount and there's a certain amount if hours your allowed to work think it may be 16 hours hope that helps xx

Im not a single mum but a young mum and if i worked less then 16 hours a week i could claim benefits i just chose to work more hours instead of getting benefits,so if you work less than 16 hours im sure youl get your benefits x

Sent from my X10i

You can work full time and get Working Tax Credit.

Sent from my X10i

if your on a good wage its not worth claimibg though,i work full time and im entitled to £4 a week working tax. I dont claim because i dont need to but i just know if your a single mum and work 16 hours or less you should be entitled to working tax,housing benefit,child benefit and there could even be something iv missed? I only know because i was told if id of claimed as a single parent and worked less then 16 hours thats what id get hth x

Sent from my X10i

Sent from my X10i

Not sure how iv managed to put my reply as a quote lol but hope you can still read it x

Sent from my X10i

Im a mum work self employed I get working tax credit and child tax credit you have to work over16 hours to get working tax credit. You will also get 70% towards child care. X

thank you for your replies .. can i ask those who get working tax credit do you get help with your rent .. i live in london, so not going to anyway near enough to pay full rent too as well as council tax, food etc
many thanks

thank you for your replies .. can i ask those who get working tax credit do you get help with your rent .. i live in london, so not going to anyway near enough to pay full rent too as well as council tax, food etc
many thanks

No if your claming working tax credit you wouldn't do it's a tricky one isnt it what u need to work out first is how many clients you have or how many u want if u want to work part time or full time then make ur decision basedon that like I say if your wanting to work 16 or less hours ull get pretty much all ur benefits but if your wanting to work more than that then working families tax credit path is the way forward x

many thanks

You should be able to still claim housing and council tax benefit as your be on a low income x

You need to look into this officially, not rely on what people tell you on here because everyone's situation is different. I would like to reply on your other thread about my own experiences, when I have the time, but working tax credit was great for me when I started my business 7 years ago and my daughter was little and yes, it helps a lot with childcare costs too.

You need to look into this officially, not rely on what people tell you on here because everyone's situation is different. I would like to reply on your other thread about my own experiences, when I have the time, but working tax credit was great for me when I started my business 7 years ago and my daughter was little and yes, it helps a lot with childcare costs too.

Yer zo zo is soo right give the tax credit help line a call they are very helpful xx

PHP:
Yer zo zo is soo right give the tax credit help line a call they are very helpful xx

Agree.

I would just add that housing benefit and council tax benefit is INCOME related. Shouldn't really matter whether that income comes from benefit, self employed income etc.

im planning to leave my partner in the new year, he's bled me dry and have just found out he's not been paying the council tax or mortgage .. exact thing that happened to my sister (posted on here cpl week ago) you couldnt make it up !!! :0

i was single parent when started business, but had money from sale of flat and worked pt time so wasnt claiming benefits

im now working as a mua and do occasional nails with no other income, support with childminding not a problem , just wondering if still going to be able to work if claiming council tax and will they make up the difference to anything i earn if not busy iyswim ? i currently work approx 14 hrs week but will they stop my benefits if earn over certain amt

I am a single mum, self employed, and work over 16 hours a week.
I get help with rent, council tax and about 40% of childcare.
It's not easy, lots of paperwork involved.
But yeah they just top me up, minus my expenses so it's a good deal.
All depends on how much you earn, so help gets less and less, but it's worth it when you can afford nice new luxuries!

:) xox

Latest posts

Back