Is L&P still popular?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jolie69

Reaction score
Hi,
Since I began Shellac I hardly do any L&P now. Although I love that my clients now have great natural nails, I'm worried I'm losing my skills.
I did a set a couple of weeks ago but they were for a 1 off so removed them after 2 weeks and did - you guessed it- Shellac!
As I hadn't done a set in a while they also took me forever- well 2 hrs and my brush on adhesive wasn't sticking and 2 CND ones had dried up! TBH my confidence in L&P is now low!
I spent a small fortune as most Geeks will know training for L&P and now feel like taking it off my treatment brochure rather than worry when a client comes along once in a while.
Just wondering if I'm on my own here or do others feel the same please .

Love this forum anyway! X

Oops no replies - so it is just me then! x LOL
Anybody out there please ?

I was just coming into the forum to post my own question and spotted yours! I am only trained in manicure/pedicure as far as nails go, but am trying to decide whether to bother going on to do gels/acrylics as shellac and minx seem to be what's popular just now. I don't want to fork out a small fortune on artificial nails training & products to not get much business, but can't help wondering if shellac and minx will just be a fad? what's your opinion? iv not actually done shellac or minx yet but thinking about doing that first as it's also cheaper for training and start up!

Hi,
Since I began Shellac I hardly do any L&P now. Although I love that my clients now have great natural nails, I'm worried I'm losing my skills.
I did a set a couple of weeks ago but they were for a 1 off so removed them after 2 weeks and did - you guessed it- Shellac!
As I hadn't done a set in a while they also took me forever- well 2 hrs and my brush on adhesive wasn't sticking and 2 CND ones had dried up! TBH my confidence in L&P is now low!
I spent a small fortune as most Geeks will know training for L&P and now feel like taking it off my treatment brochure rather than worry when a client comes along once in a while.
Just wondering if I'm on my own here or do others feel the same please .

Love this forum anyway! X

That must be because you did just what CND advised people not to do.

The marketing strategy of Shellac has always been to market it to natural nail clients and boost your salon revenue by inviting a whole new bunch of clients to try the Shellac service who may have not ever been tempted to have a nail service before!!

Sadly many have converted their existing clients to Shellac and are now loosing out on the enhancement side of things ... should have listened to CND.

We do just as many L&P and Brisa gel clients as we ever did, and now have one technician dedicated almost exclusively for Shellac services on all new natural nail clients. Business is up by 33% on this time last year and we put that down to the addition of Shellac and Minx.

@ Fiona

I was just coming into the forum to post my own question and spotted yours! I am only trained in manicure/pedicure as far as nails go, but am trying to decide whether to bother going on to do gels/acrylics as shellac and minx seem to be what's popular just now. I don't want to fork out a small fortune on artificial nails training & products to not get much business, but can't help wondering if shellac and minx will just be a fad? what's your opinion? iv not actually done shellac or minx yet but thinking about doing that first as it's also cheaper for training and start up!

Neither Minx nor Shellac are a FAD.

Minx was launched into the nail world almost 4 years ago now and just gets stronger and stronger in the Market despite all the copy cats around, it is Minx people want and Minx people ask for and Minx who made a whole new category of nail service with their beautiful nail veneers.

Shellac is no fad either ... what woman who seriously loves her nails with colour and an incredible mirror shine, is not going to want a polish that has those things and is instantly dry? It is what women have been begging for since the 1920's for Pete's sake. It's like saying nail polish was a fad in the 1920's!! Once again CND created a whole new category of product which would appeal to the 95 percent of women who do not go to get their nails done. I'd say they did us all a great favour wouldn't you? :D

Last edited:
Hiya
I offer both in the salon I work at, Ive been doing alot of L&P lately but then also alot of Biosculpture on toes for the summer.. So its a good mix of clients that have come in.
But I think if you can offer the service then at least its available for them and they can choose.
Good luck with your decisions it does cost alot to set up but I think its worth it to offer different things for different clients.

Hi,
Sorry didn't explain that very well- My clients tend to be those who've had negative experiences in salons previously or feel intimidated by salons, so like my "home salon" environment.
They were also clients who came to me for L&P as a special occasion rather than being permanent wearers- I just can't seem to build my client base in that area. I know my work is good enough because I get repeat clients and referrals- they're just the wrong clients for continuously wearing L&P.
I also live in quite an image conscious area where my L&P has been attributed to a big, trendy salon in the area, because the clients wants people to think that's where they have their nails done- I found this out by accident and couldn't say anything cos of client confidentiality!

So my Shellac clients are those who may have had 1 off L&P but now opt for Shellac.
Sorry about my explanation.

Hi,
I also do love L&P enhancements and the differnce it can make but my original concern was that if I don't use it I'll lose it in terms of my skills as well as the investment I've made.
Probably due to my transition from Make-up to all the other services I now offer (which I never planned originally) - I know how important it is to plan and yet I let the demands of my initial clients lead my choices.
I love my work but may decide to narrow my services and really focus on promoting those areas instead that best appeal to my quite narrow client base.

Last edited by a moderator:
came back to this thread to see if any more light had been shone on our query!

Jolie - have u decided whether you are going to take L&P off your list of services?

Geeg - I am interested to hear, do you think you can be a nail tech who only does natural nails, ie manicure, pedicure, shellac & minx? and not offer the nail extensions?

Latest posts

Back