Is there a name for this material?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fats28

Reaction score
Right heres a daft question for anyone who can sew.

You can buy material, usually gingham and its elasticated at one end in ribs, its the easiest thing in the world (allegedly) to make sun dresses for kids with. I want some now I have been given a sewing machine, to try it out. If I can't make that I'll sack the curtains off. Trouble is I don't know what its called so I can't look on the internet for it, I would go to town but I don't have time for the next few weeks. So is there a name for it & does it have to be gingham?

is it called smocking?
if so im sooooo old!!!!

It might be, thats what the elastic sort of looks like. I've come over all Barbara Goode now I've got that sewing machine, me and Jess will be wearing high fashion for a total of 4.75!!!:lol:

I think it's called smocking?!?!?

Speaking as someone who uses wonderweb to take up a hem...and couldn't sew a button on to save her life....isn't this shirring?...google shirring and it has tons of stuff on it.

Speaking as someone who uses wonderweb to take up a hem...and couldn't sew a button on to save her life....isn't this shirring?...google shirring and it has tons of stuff on it.

God, how sad am I? I've just had a look on 'tinternet n it looks like they are similar but smocking is more decorative and might not be stretchy..... So I think Izz is closer:)

I think its called seersucker.

hth xx

Thats like what I was meaning, its all stretchy at the top so it makes like a bandeau top which is the elastic part. Thanks everyone:hug:

i thought it was called smocking too - but after reading the other other posts i think smocking might be diagonally elasticated ??? possibly??

Its called smocking and you use sheering elastic which is a very thin stretchy elastic that can be used like a cotton reel on your sewing machine. As it sews it gathers the material (which can be any sort of lightweight material really).

I used to wear these dresses all the time when I was a little lass ... and I used to buy them for my little girls... which smocking suited boys as I love it but I think my little lad (or his dad) wouldn't be that happy in a smocked sailor suit lol!!!

Call me old fashioned huh!

Smocking is where gathers of material are made with thread, so it looks pleated, with the lines going from top to bottom. Coloured thread is then taken and little backstitches are made going across the way, so that the 1st pleat and the second pleat are stitched together, the 3rd and 4th together, etc. On thre next row down it would be the 2nd and 3rd, 4th and 5th, etc. In thid way a little pattern is built up which looks really pretty on the bodice of little girls' dresses.
Shirring is where the material is gathered with shirring elastic, so this is what you are looking for. HTH

Smocking is where gathers of material are made with thread, so it looks pleated, with the lines going from top to bottom. Coloured thread is then taken and little backstitches are made going across the way, so that the 1st pleat and the second pleat are stitched together, the 3rd and 4th together, etc. On thre next row down it would be the 2nd and 3rd, 4th and 5th, etc. In thid way a little pattern is built up which looks really pretty on the bodice of little girls' dresses.
Shirring is where the material is gathered with shirring elastic, so this is what you are looking for. HTH

you are absolutely correct,good explanation too.
[me, ex textiles teacher]

Thanks everyone for all your answers I think I've found some online, watch out for pictures of my disasterous attempts!!

Yaaaay...I was right...na na na na naaaaaaaa!!!!

you are absolutely correct,good explanation too.
[me, ex textiles teacher]

Thanks!
(me, learning support teacher, used to explaining simply!)

I think I know what your talking about.....Juicy couture do some little sun dresses out of this stuff but its towling-ish stuff and top shop had loads of these as tops in the summer......I had all these when I was prgnant over the summer.

Latest posts

Back