Is this a professional site?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virtues2011

Reaction score
I am beginning to question what the business forum part of this site actually is and what it achieves.

I can read three or more threads a day asking the same questions. .. " I've started a beauty salon. ..what do I need to do? " ..." I'm starting a salon but have no money saved" ..... " I have no customers so I've done a deal for Shellac for £3.50"...." I have no idea what i should be charging for my services... how do I turn on the lights.?" so on and so forth!

Am I the only one who thinks this part of the site should say for "professionals and opportunists". ...I don't know how many times people can repeat themselves with the same answers... and I'm beginning to think I'm the only one that believes common sense isn't that common! ... Why is it everyone then wonders why the industry is saturated with therapists under charging?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I just ignore the posts that I think are too naive for words. If I think it is a genuine request for help by someone who has just got a bit stuck I will try and help, but when advice is requested for the most basic things I just move on!!!

Ha ha! Totally agree, many posts repeats of other equally inane questions!

I just ignore the posts that I think are too naive for words. If I think it is a genuine request for help by someone who has just got a bit stuck I will try and help, but when advice is requested for the most basic things I just move on!!!

You are one hundred percent correct. ..I will follow your example otherwise this site becomes life wasting rather than time wasting!

Agree with Squidgernet. Have more than you show, talk less than you know! Some people have genuine questions which may seem simple but impossible to find answers to, some people just make me want to facepalm & feel they should reevaluate...

I will say how lovely it is to see really helpful posts - when someone is really struggling, and other geeks go out of their way to support and help. I often comment on how nice it is to see such great sharing. I also sometimes start to write a reply and think how many times before I've written a similar reply so just delete it.

I do like it when I have posted a rely and the OP comes back to say thanks for the replies - so many times I don't think OP's even bother to look - just post a question.....

I too find some very odd requests on here, so I'm also learning to move past them, don't read, otherwise I'm getting niggled at it.

I don't look at the chit chat stuff either, I have friends to chit chat with.

I do pick up some good tips every now and again, I'm only interested in what I feel are genuine business concepts, but do get exasperated when I'm "jumped" on for not being all "pink and fluffy."

I like seeing some of the artistic work with polish and hair, I'm just in awe at some of the creative stuff some people can produce.

I do often see information about new products and other geeks reviews, I find that interesting.

I'm also in awe of the lack of some very basic business acumen.

I suppose there's something for everyone here but if I need real business advice I look elsewhere, I see it as the closer magazine of the industry.

Well that's my opinion :)

I too find some very odd requests on here, so I'm also learning to move past them, don't read, otherwise I'm getting niggled at it.

I don't look at the chit chat stuff either, I have friends to chit chat with.

I do pick up some good tips every now and again, I'm only interested in what I feel are genuine business concepts, but do get exasperated when I'm "jumped" on for not being all "pink and fluffy."

I like seeing some of the artistic work with polish and hair, I'm just in awe at some of the creative stuff some people can produce.

I do often see information about new products and other geeks reviews, I find that interesting.

I'm also in awe of the lack of some very basic business acumen.

I suppose there's something for everyone here but if I need real business advice I look elsewhere, I see it as the closer magazine of the industry.

Well that's my opinion :)

Oh yes the talent from some people is outstanding.

I think people are lulled into a false sense of security and think they can simply come in here, get all the answers they need and open and successfully run a profitable business. That's the problem with the industry. It looks much easier to get into than it is! People think once they've got the skills in nails, hair, tanning, whatever they can run a successful business doing it very quickly and cheaply.

You can usually tell the difference between a chancer and a genuinely misguided naive individual though!

Surely everyone had to start somewhere though and if your advise helps just one person surely that is what its all about or should be in my opinion

I agree but I always find the answer I need which to me is the reason I use this site. I ignore the annoying basic business sense questions which sometimes puts me off seeing what's new on here . But I'm am SG addict I love the tips I pick up xx

Agree with some of the other posts.....I'm new to posting but have used the site for a while to help with researching products etc.

Personally I don't go to the chat forum, I'm here for business reasons whether that be asking for help or offering help to another poster.

I know everyone's levels of technology knowledge differ, but I am amazed at how many times the search function isn't used. Or, more frustrating, is when someone asks such a generic question I.e why is my business struggling. There are so many variables that without more information, we can't possibly begin to try and help. More to the point, I'm busy and probably won't take the time to ask the necessary questions to help. I'd have thought this is basic common sense to provide as much information as possible when you are asking for help. People's time is precious, most of us are friendly and happy to help but I don't really want to spoon feed someone, especially when I've had to invest time and effort finding out the information myself. Google is probably your friend, and an ability to step back and think outside the box.

All that said however, I visit the site daily. I love it when someone is really struggling and other geeks are eager to help. This for me, helps quash the common thought that this industry is bitchy (which honesty is often mistaken for). Also, the photo threads are great for inspiration and I've used the tutorial section and critique section a couple of times.

For now, I'm choosing to not contribute to the threads that irk me and am more than happy to stick around.

This site caters for everyone at different stages of their careers. What seems like a basic question to me, can seem like an insurmountable obstacle to someone else. Not everyone has the benefit of years of experience, and as such, we should be generous in our responses.
The thing that irks me is the 'how should I colour my hair' threads. Posting multiple threads about your own hair is tiresome and boring. If you want an opinion, go to the hairdressers!!
That said, I never bother with threads that are asking for opinions by narcissic multiple posters! That and threads about people's kids. I'm not interested!

For PRO hairdressers, and people who genuinely want to learn, I hope I'm generous with my time and knowledge.

If you don't like the thread and you feel it's beneath you, don't finish reading it and move on.

Don't get at people who are panicking or in need of support, does it really matter if it's been asked before or it's a matter of common sense, these geeks probably already know, they just want reassurance.

In my opinion this thread is encouraging people to be bitchy about other geeks.

NOT NICE!

If you don't like the thread and you feel it's beneath you, don't finish reading it and move on.

Don't get at people who are panicking or in need of support, does it really matter if it's been asked before or it's a matter of common sense, these geeks probably already know, they just want reassurance.

NOT NICE!

Rubbish. ..I don't agree with you whatsoever. ..however, like everyone you are entitled to your opinion.

I've recently asked a question 'stuck with what to do' this is changing career post not a stuck with what to do in my beauty business. People ask genuine questions before using the search box (I'm guilty of this) some people are wannabes and ask to make out they know what there doing when really they have read a few posts an made up a load of crap to sound like they understand !

NOT NICE!

I don't think it's encouraging bitchyness.... Or at least that's not what I'm saying, I too have probably asked a few stupid pointless questions on SG but I quickly became wise to it, learnt how to use the site and am still learning just how hard this industry is to break into!!! As a previous poster said SG has helped me learn that the industry isn't quite a catty as I thought (albeit online, I'm sure things are harder in real life)

I think the thread links in to izzidoll post about knowing what questions to ask and what comments to post, why and where and to use the search function before you post!

I've recently asked a question 'stuck with what to do' this is changing career post not a stuck with what to do in my beauty business. People ask genuine questions before using the search box (I'm guilty of this) some people are wannabes and ask to make out they know what there doing when really they have read a few posts an made up a load of crap to sound like they understand !

Ok point taken. .. so what response do you think you will receive from that question. ..would it be " do what makes you happy" " keep going, you'll be ok" some might even ask you why you feel like that, then you'll answer them" .. if ten people said. .."run for your life" ...would you?

There has to be no arguement or bitchy comments to this reply. ..I just find it interesting to understand who would really change their life based on a group of virtual people that you've probably never met. . I'm not talking about questions that you gain information from. ..

Last edited:
Ok point taken. .. so what response do you think you will receive from that question. ..would it be " do what makes you happy" " keep going, you'll be ok" some might even ask you why you feel like that, then you'll answer them" .. if ten people said. .."run for your life" ...would you?

There has to be no arguement or bitchy comments from this reply. ..I just find it interesting to understand who would really change their life based on a group of virtual people that you've probably never met. . I'm not talking about questions that you gain information from. ..

Abi and virtues- I've posted what I think is a fitting (not bitchy but to the point) reply to this question on the thread....

To the OP ABD VIRTUES- I've posted what I think is a fitting (not bitchy but to the point) reply to this question on the thread....

I've just read it H.... it wasn't bitchy at all. My only point was would anyone actually change their career path based on what what individuals suggested.... in my eyes I wouldn't entertain it...but I know this is probably not the case for some. I just find it interesting that's all. ... if slightly time wasting.

Latest posts

Back