Is this a professional site?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just read it H.... it wasn't bitchy at all. My only point was would anyone actually change their career path based on what what individuals suggested.... in my eyes I wouldn't entertain it...but I know this is probably not the case for some. I just find it interesting that's all. ... if slightly time wasting.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well trust me I certainly wouldn't be making my life decisions based entirely on what people off SG say or think! But I guess they may throw up some in answered questions and ways of looking at things differently! Also I think this poster had their mind made up already (which I find in most posts like this one including some that I've posted even, the OP has made their mind up and is seeking approval or reassurance for their decision anyway).

I think the business section often gets mistaken for the life coaching section. I think of business threads about tax returns, business models to adopt and questions on advertising. A lot are new and fresh out of college - nothing wrong about that but I feel we get awash with the same situations. Unfortunately the industry does not support many paid jobs or apprenticeships, which leaves the newbie not only inexperienced as a therapist but also as a new business operator. Many are underfunded and realise that they are far away from their expected dreams. It is a harsh wake up call. A little research beforehand would help a lot out there to realise what their likely prospects and challenges are when choosing this career path.

I am in the process of starting up my own business with 5 years experience in the industry & no experience of running my own business. I am very grateful for having this wonderful tool that is salon geek. So many people have helped my questions & also just reading other peoples queries. it's more fitting because it's from people in the industry & they understand where i am coming from.

I have to agree that some threads are repeated and I think that is down to people not searching before they post, something maybe we should all think about before posting.

I have spoke to other people in business (not beauty) & when mention salon geek they all think it sounds like I good idea and wish there was something like that in there industry!

I am very grateful to have this tool and all the responses I've had so far. I think we should all be happy to help each other out when needed :)

Love this post! Yes there is a fair few a the top go their game on here and you can tell others asks about their benefits and basically how to run a Del Boy operation and stamp up and down have a temper tantrum if they don't like others opinion which is strangely addictive and highly amusing better than Jeremy Kyle it's live!

It is a professional site yes & it is also a place where like minded people come together to talk about things apart from business from time to time, what is wrong with that?

Wonder if there is a forum for moaners? If there is then the negative, moaning posts will probably be more appreciated there because they certainly aren't 'professional'. (Not aimed at anyone in particular)

It is a professional site yes & it is also a place where like minded people come together to talk about things apart from business from time to time, what is wrong with that?

Wonder if there is a forum for moaners? If there is then the negative, moaning posts will probably be more appreciated there because they certainly aren't 'professional'. (Not aimed at anyone in particular)

Like minded people?? ..I don't think you'll find me asking any of the questions I listed in this thread!

Like minded meaning interested in the same industry, sorry Virtues! Everyone is different though, some proactive, others not so much hence pointless threads xD but I don't think it's that big of a problem, it's clear to see who's in it for the long haul & who isn't

Like minded meaning interested in the same industry, sorry Virtues! Everyone is different though, some proactive, others not so much hence pointless threads xD but I don't think it's that big of a problem, it's clear to see who's in it for the long haul & who isn't

Ha ha...:). Interested and opportunist I say. .

it would help if people filled out thier profiles properly, otherwise theres not much point being here ! and questions that would be covered in a course shouldnt be asked ! unless you have a memory of a gold fish ! yes it is worrying that oportunists come on here.

it would help if people filled out thier profiles properly, otherwise theres not much point being here ! and questions that would be covered in a course shouldnt be asked ! unless you have a memory of a gold fish ! yes it is worrying that oportunists come on here.

W1nnie.... have you got a hangover from last night? Ha ha..... what on earth a completed profile actually amounts to is to be seen. . What proof is that? . .you can make up what you like...it is purely a very poor deterrent and something that cannot be validated. .. if someone can prove me wrong here i'd be grateful. You can only hope that people are truthful. ..chances are though. ....

If you don't like the thread and you feel it's beneath you, don't finish reading it and move on.

Don't get at people who are panicking or in need of support, does it really matter if it's been asked before or it's a matter of common sense, these geeks probably already know, they just want reassurance.

In my opinion this thread is encouraging people to be bitchy about other geeks.

NOT NICE!

Well said!!

I'm reading this thread and sorry people, but I'm horrified!!! It's very tough out there at the moment, as we all know and this site is fantastic for sharing ideas, thoughts and opinions - but I don't think anyone should be judging what is and is not a stupid question or a boring question. Most people put something in the title that indicates their topic of question and therefore, it's easy to pass by the ones we don't want to read. Quite often, less experienced people just want to offload with others in the same boat and get some opinions from those who understand the industry.

I'm sorry, but I feel the topic of this thread is something that us "professional adults" should not even be complaining about - I'm 36 and still love chatting about my job and the industry as as much as I did on day one and I like to see all the newbies being enthusiastic and asking questions, I think the industry could do with a little less snobbery at times!

W1nnie.... have you got a hangover from last night? Ha ha..... what on earth a completed profile actually amounts to is to be seen. . What proof is that? . .you can make up what you like...it is purely a very poor deterrent and something that cannot be validated. .. if someone can prove me wrong here i'd be grateful. You can only hope that people are truthful. ..chances are though. ....

I think most people are aren't they? I guess people could and probably do make stuff up in fact I am fairly sure of a few. But I remain curious as to why someone would make up qualifications on a forum profile? What would be the point? Is it perhaps a psychological thing, a bit like playing pretend jobs. :-D

Yes some people do ask very pointless questions sometimes and some people have mentioned about how annoying it is that new geeks ask questions..... If no new geeks joined this site it just wouldn't go anywhere would it??
Agreed lots of questions have been asked before... But everyone should know the beauty industry changes ALL the time. So something that got posted last month might get a different response this month.
I'm certainly not here to sit and watch people baffle on about how much experience they have, how msny jobs they have had etc which makes them far better than anyone else.
I do t think this site should be here to try and drag others down. If you don't like a post. Don't read it, it's really quite simple. There's no reason to be nasty about it

Fully agree, but something said is better than nothing said. Or else what is the point of this whole site ? Infact, you are meant to fill it in and the operators if the site are meant to check that you are a professional by your email and other info you give them !

It was a valid point though....

Fully agree, but something said is better than nothing said. Or else what is the point of this whole site ? Infact, you are meant to fill it in and the operators if the site are meant to check that you are a professional by your email and other info you give them !

You can make up as many email addresses as you like. What other info is there to present? No one asked me for certificates or to show business cards etc etc however I do have all of them if they were requested.

Perhaps salon geek should add extra categories e.g?

Experienced salon professional 10 years plus
Next year we will be millionaires! (Shellac for £2 starting out people)
I'm a narcissist this is what someone DARED to say to me today!

Yes some people do ask very pointless questions sometimes and some people have mentioned about how annoying it is that new geeks ask questions..... If no new geeks joined this site it just wouldn't go anywhere would it??
Agreed lots of questions have been asked before... But everyone should know the beauty industry changes ALL the time. So something that got posted last month might get a different response this month.
I'm certainly not here to sit and watch people baffle on about how much experience they have, how msny jobs they have had etc which makes them far better than anyone else.
I do t think this site should be here to try and drag others down. If you don't like a post. Don't read it, it's really quite simple. There's no reason to be nasty about it

Nice post. I have found most members are happy to answer all sorts of questions, even those who have been members for years and are likely weary of the same topics but recognise as you have said that people might post to get different advice from different sources or because previous threads didn't apply to them, maybe they needed more answers for whatever reason or previous info was out of date.

As for questions that seem ridiculous to some ie. basic business management skills, what one person finds easy another struggles with.

Whilst some questions have been answered countless times I agree that there is no need to be rude, sometimes I see that some members will post a link for previous threads to help out and generally it seems most of us are supportive when we can be and appreciative when we need questions answering.

For example this very thread you could argue involves a subject covered before, yet there are quite a few of us it seems prepared to offer our opinion on it.

Unfortunately I realise that you will always get a few that feel the need to be rude, as much as you will get those whose only interest is to baffle :-D on about what they have done in life or to patronise and make others feel small as this makes them feel better...that's just the way it is.

I like to help if I can, I figure I might have some bit of knowledge or a past experience at times that helps someone else, I hope so. I have received help also since joining this site.

The thing that gets me down is when the person asking gets unpleasant because the answers aren't what they want to hear.

Also blaggers, they get me down aswell. :-D

Perhaps salon geek should add extra categories e.g?

Experienced salon professional 10 years plus
Next year we will be millionaires! (Shellac for £2 starting out people)
I'm a narcissist this is what someone DARED to say to me today!

Or they could get people to scan their certs? That might be fun :-D

Stop moaning, I get called all sorts.

You can make up as many email addresses as you like. What other info is there to present? No one asked me for certificates or to show business cards etc etc however I do have all of them if they were requested.

You need to prove you are human and you need to activate your account via your email, but that's all. I think certificates or proof that you are at college should be shown. Otherwise this site is not worth the space. How about the pictures of certs on everyones profile ? Or some proof of college training ?

profiles need to filled out so that geeks can see how much experience the ones with questions have !

Latest posts

Back