Is this really what we've resorted too??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nu_yu

Reaction score
Just seen an offer on one of those deal sites. £9 for a full set of acrylics! I actually can't believe it! Is this the way the industry is going?? Xx

It appears so. Some people just want something for nothing. I know I like a discount every now and then but £9 for a full set?? That is pushing it a lil bit!

Keep your price at what it's always been!

These £9 nails will fall off or not last long and therefore people will come back to you! I'd rather pay more because I know you can justify charging more because you do s good job! Hope that makes sense xx

My attitude is if those girls want to work for £9 then let them!

I'll continue to charge the prices I have set and people come back.

I had a customer who last week on the phone said "ooo but I got it elsewhere for cheaper is that best you can do?"...

lmao.... well then Mrs why not take yourself back to that salon? Why are you ringing me?

Now obviously I didn't it quite like that lol

But she came, I did a good job and she'll be back.

So if someone else wants to kill themselves working at ridiculous prices - let them - but it won't be me doing it.

Keep your price at what it's always been!

These £9 nails will fall off or not last long and therefore people will come back to you! I'd rather pay more because I know you can justify charging more because you do s good job! Hope that makes sense xx

I understand the annoyance at £9 for a set, but how can you say they will fall off or not last long? That is a massive assumption to make. I'm neither particularly in favour or against this type of marketing, but people go with them for many different reasons.

Don't forget deal sites take a cut too, the salon is prob only getting 30% of that 9 quid lol

Why do any of you with a decent business spend even a second worrying about these other people? What a waste of your energy.

I think 90% of your annoyance should be aimed at the companies who take advantage of these salons and therapists and make a huge profit, whilst the person doing all the work, works like a dog for very little return if any at all. No one forces salons to sign up, but most who do are struggling to get going or stay afloat, so when approached and promised great advertising and repeat business, they snap it up, mostly to find that the kinds of people who buy these deals are just serial deal hunters who go wherever is the cheapest that week, they rarely return.

Stick to your guns and keep doing what you're doing, you don't want these types of clients anyway.

I would say it is unfair to tar all those offering cheap deals with the same brush though, the quality of work depends on the individual therapist/tech and not the price.
We had a s.e tech at our salon offering Calgel nails for £45 a set and we had nothing but complaints about her shoddy work, all of which I had to put right. My gel nails are 200% better and I only charge £25 a set.

Nat x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I think 90% of your annoyance should be aimed at the companies who take advantage of these salons and therapists and make a huge profit, whilst the person doing all the work, works like a dog for very little return if any at all. No one forces salons to sign up, but most who do are struggling to get going or stay afloat, so when approached and promised great advertising and repeat business, they snap it up, mostly to find that the kinds of people who buy these deals are just serial deal hunters who go wherever is the cheapest that week, they rarely return.

Stick to your guns and keep doing what you're doing, you don't want these types of clients anyway.

I would say it is unfair to tar all those offering cheap deals with the same brush though, the quality of work depends on the individual therapist/tech and not the price.
We had a s.e tech at our salon offering Calgel nails for £45 a set and we had nothing but complaints about her shoddy work, all of which I had to put right. My gel nails are 200% better and I only charge £25 a set.

Nat x

You bad ... You,re at least 10.00 under priced. Good advice in this post otherwise .. But come on ... Price yourself where you belong and you will attract better clientele also ... Take your own advice! :hug:

Nat x

Too right - and you can bet it's the same sort of pushy salesperson working for those deal sites as you'd get from the usual "cold call" brigade, that are renowned for peddling things that you don't need at hyper-inflated prices...

I understand the annoyance at £9 for a set, but how can you say they will fall off or not last long? That is a massive assumption to make. I'm neither particularly in favour or against this type of marketing, but people go with them for many different reasons.

Because if their nails were amazing then they'd charge £45 a set as they know people will come back. If you have faith in your nails you would charge what you think they are worth....it makes me wonder if these people have faith or if they do walk ins and get no repeat business!?

I have had all those deal sites on the phone and have told them that I am not prepared to work flat out for £2 an hour while they take a huge cut from my work!! I mean how much can they possibly be making out of £9 for an hours work!! I would rather give good discounts to my regular clients than spend time on deal hunters!! I just feel that the prices of places in my area are becoming lower and lower and I'm losing clients and money while people try out these cheap deals! Even if they only miss one app and come back we are still missing out! I just don't want to see beauty becoming a bargain basement!! Xx

I have had all those deal sites on the phone and have told them that I am not prepared to work flat out for £2 an hour while they take a huge cut from my work!! I mean how much can they possibly be making out of £9 for an hours work!! I would rather give good discounts to my regular clients than spend time on deal hunters!! I just feel that the prices of places in my area are becoming lower and lower and I'm losing clients and money while people try out these cheap deals! Even if they only miss one app and come back we are still missing out! I just don't want to see beauty becoming a bargain basement!! Xx

Well done for standing up to the deal sites! To my mind, they're just not worth it for anything labour-intensive; the only time I'd ever consider using one is for selling something where a computer does all the work, so you still end up making a profit at the end of the day, and not slaving away for less than minimum wage!

These companies are far too greedy. If salon's want to cheapen themselves this way then that is their business but they will obviously be making a loss. Educating clients is the best way, when you can lol!. A lady rang me for a Shellac but said someone else was cheaper - I said make sure they use genuine products and the correct lamp - she said someone else told her that as well but she still wanted the cheaper deal. Hey ho - you can't win then all.:eek: You will always have the bargain hunters.

Because if their nails were amazing then they'd charge £45 a set as they know people will come back. If you have faith in your nails you would charge what you think they are worth....it makes me wonder if these people have faith or if they do walk ins and get no repeat business!?

not necesarily, maybe they have just started and are keen to get clients, maybe they are great at nails but bad at marketing themselves, maybe they got talked into a deal by hard sell groupon reps, maybe they lack confidence.

All i'm saying is, you can't really make assumptions like that about people. If you had bought the deal, had the treatment and it hadn't gone well, then fair enough.

not necesarily, maybe they have just started and are keen to get clients, maybe they are great at nails but bad at marketing themselves, maybe they got talked into a deal by hard sell groupon reps, maybe they lack confidence.

All i'm saying is, you can't really make assumptions like that about people. If you had bought the deal, had the treatment and it hadn't gone well, then fair enough.

Yes properly shouldn't make assumptions-sorry.
Was just trying to make the poster feel better as it obviously bothered her that someone was charging £9.

I'll keep my assumptions to myself ; )

Was just trying to make the poster feel better as it obviously bothered her that someone was charging £9.

Well we all make assumptions about people and other things by what we know about them so lets be real --- I think it is safe to say that anyone who gets caught up in the stupidity of these schemes has to have very little experience or skill or they wouldn't begin to resort to using these parasites.

But no, I don't think this is the way the industry is going ... just some very gullible people with little experience. If they think it is worth it for the experience they sure wont find it worth it for the money.

Didn't mean to be awkward, it's just that I know how pushy these marketing people can be, i've had calls from them before offering me the world and they can be ever so convincing.

I just worry about people who are not so experienced getting caught up in a big mess with these schemes.

I'm in a small area and like to keep my prices competitive! If i end up being too expensive then people will go else where! I have heard that in some towns the going rate for acrylics is now £15!!!! Im sticking to my guns (and prices) at the moment but fear the day when I'm priced out of the Market!! The beauty industry is one of the only industries that is holding it's own during this recession and there are still people willing to pay good money for good products and treatments I think these deal sites and such like are really spoiling what is a good area to be making money in right now! Xx

You bad ... You,re at least 10.00 under priced. Good advice in this post otherwise .. But come on ... Price yourself where you belong and you will attract better clientele also ... Take your own advice! :hug:

Thanks geeg, I appreciate what you are saying, only problem I have is I live in a very deprived area of nottinghamshire and had to try and not price myself out of the running. It grates on me that I have to sell myself so short though, i'm not one to toot my own horn - quite the opppsite lol - but I always get lots of positive feedback on all my work.
Some day I will get out of this dump and be able to charge what i'm worth x

Latest posts

Back