Is this too much for renting a room?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLUSKERM

Reaction score
Hello, i have been searching threads and noticed how varied the cost is for renting a room , obviously depends on location and conditions etc, What do you think of this? I have looked at a room in a hairdressers its nice and airy with toilet and handwashing facilities just next door.I would have to bring my own equiptment, and can come and go as i please when the shop is open. It is a city centre busy hair salon , she wants £35.00 for each day i come in , i can choose how many days, and i pay on the day. I am mobile at the moment and have a few clients , she says they will allow my advertising in the salon and give my cards and number to customers. I think it sounds a lot but the price for a full set in the centre is between £30 and £40 so if i had lots of clients it would be okay, thats if! What do you think ?:)
Thanks in advance!

Hi
As the location is in the city centre and they will help you advertise, I think that is an excellent price. I live in Bristol and was offered a similar set up to you at a cost of £30 per day, but the salon was out in the sticks with no help for advertising. I now rent a space in a salon on a local High Street and pay a percentage which suits the location, I pick up a lot of passing trade and get about 30% of my business from clients who have come in to have their hair cut. I have been there a year now and have a good steady client base. A city centre location would pick up more trade so I would go for it!
Sarah
xx

Thanks for the reply Sarah, when you put it like that it does sound okay, i suppose i could start off with a couple of days a week and see how it goes , they said the room is exclusively mine so thats good!:)

Thanks for the reply Sarah, when you put it like that it does sound okay, i suppose i could start off with a couple of days a week and see how it goes , they said the room is exclusively mine so thats good!:)
Go for it hun,although,if only going for a few days,make sure that if rented out to others in between that all your products are kept under lock and key.

Start off 2 maybe 3 days a week then build up.Have a grand opening and offer discounts to clients and stylists from the hair salon...even if it's just til you find your feet.Best of luck.

Go for it hun,although,if only going for a few days,make sure that if rented out to others in between that all your products are kept under lock and key.

Start off 2 maybe 3 days a week then build up.Have a grand opening and offer discounts to clients and stylists from the hair salon...even if it's just til you find your feet.Best of luck.
Thanks for the encouragment, i think i will give it a go! I will have discounts to start with like you said, and the good thing is i can lock the room when i am not there!

Ask the manager if she would be ok with you promoting your services to the salons existing clients, ask if they do monthly / quarterly newsletters, and if she could mention you in those?

Would she allow you to actually talk / chat to the existing clients? Not pester them or interrupt their appointments, just maybe when they are under the dryer or colour is taking you could pop over and introduce yourself with some leaflets and discount vouchers etc.

If the manager is happy for you to do this, I would go for it!!! What a little goldmine just waiting for you to pick up!! :green:

Also ask about terms and conditions, i.e if you didnt want the room anymore, how much notice would you have to give, she sounds very reasonable though considering you literally can pick and choose your days! xx good luck! xx

Hi All, Just reading this post with interest.

If you hire a room within a hairdressers, and you have a key to your room so that you can come and go as you please.

Imagine if you fell out with the owner, how can you be 100% sure that you would get all your stuff back?

They could say, give us the key and we will bag your stuff up.

Does it have to be written into a contract, that all the equipment and products used belong to the therapist?

What do you think?

For a city centre position it is a good rate but i would ask if she would accept maybe £25 per day for the first month so you can get a client base built up a little and do more days than you would have been able to at £35, then after the first month pay the asking price,
she is a business woman herself so I'm sure she would understand

Hi All, Just reading this post with interest.

If you hire a room within a hairdressers, and you have a key to your room so that you can come and go as you please.

Imagine if you fell out with the owner, how can you be 100% sure that you would get all your stuff back?

They could say, give us the key and we will bag your stuff up.

Does it have to be written into a contract, that all the equipment and products used belong to the therapist?

What do you think?
Interesting point! What a horrible situation to be in! I have known the manager for about 15 years , shes not a personal friend but i do trust her, and think she would be reasonable with me. But interested to see what others think , should i have a written contract rather than just verbal?:)

Hi,

Like the others have said, I think that that £35 is very reasonable given the location. I would, however, go with loubylou's suggestions of having a reduced rate for approx the first month to see if it's beneficial for BOTH of you.

I do think that you should have some form of written contract but, as it was put in another thread, if there's no contract then it works both ways - you can leave when you like if it's not working out. I do think it would be safer to have something though.

I've been home-based for the last 7 years and I have a great base but I'm feeling the need to spread my wings a little and branch out. If I had this opportunity I'd jump at it!!!!

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Hi
As the location is in the city centre and they will help you advertise, I think that is an excellent price. I live in Bristol and was offered a similar set up to you at a cost of £30 per day, but the salon was out in the sticks with no help for advertising. I now rent a space in a salon on a local High Street and pay a percentage which suits the location, I pick up a lot of passing trade and get about 30% of my business from clients who have come in to have their hair cut. I have been there a year now and have a good steady client base. A city centre location would pick up more trade so I would go for it!
Sarah
xx

Hi, Sazzy,

I live in Bristol too. Just finished college and awaiting my insurance. How did you start off when you finished your training? Did you advertise for models to get the experience, or did you go into a salon? Interested to know where to start! :cry:

xx:hug:xx

Interesting point! What a horrible situation to be in! I have known the manager for about 15 years , shes not a personal friend but i do trust her, and think she would be reasonable with me. But interested to see what others think , should i have a written contract rather than just verbal?:)

I would say you should absolutely definitely get a written contract, and try and encompass everything that you could think might happen in the event that things dont work out and you want to move on. Even if this never happens it sets the benchmark for your relationship ie a purely professional one. I think £35 a day for what you have said sounds reasonable, but I would ask if you can have a 2 month temporary agreement at a reduced rate to see if you are getting enough clients, and to see if you are both happy with your working agreement, and that the contract starts on an ongoing basis at the full rate following a satisfactory trial period. Have a word and see what she says

I think you should negotiate a bit over the price.

Am I correcting in thinking you will be doing nails only ? If so then you could probably rent a table cheaper than a room elsewhere. I would also ask if what the rent would be if you commited to a full week as £35 per day works out at £175 per week and she may be prepared to give you a discount if you take on more days.

Do you already have a client base ? My concern is that if you take this room on you could end up paying more out than what you've got coming in to start with.

Well it seems alot of people are saying this is reasonable, but I think it's alot when your just starting out with the rest of your outlay.. products etc.
When I was looking to rent space there was a busy well established salon that were offering £25 per day you didn't pay a charge if you had under two clients in the day and they had a client base of around 300 and they would book you in with people, I know that was a pretty good deal, but I would look around a bit more because you want the best deal possible, even if you found another busy salon at even £5 cheaper that over a yr would work out alot of a saving.
Best of luck with it all x

I think this sounds like a good opportunity. I think you should commit to 2 days to build up your clients. 1 full set will pay your rent. There are so many ways to market yourself so this should be a really exciting time for you. A high street salon (with a good reputation?) is a brilliant place to start as there are already customers coming in through the door. Do some market research first on the clients coming in.
Good luck on your venture!:lol:

Just like to say thanks for all the ideas, i am going to see her tuesday and discuss arrangments further.:confused:

GOOD LUCK!! Let us know what happens. :hug:

Latest posts

Back