Itchy cuticles and burning fingers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etak

Reaction score
I use Calgel and have been using it for abou three years... i have a certain client who i have been doing for approx 2 years... about 2 weeks a go she mentioned that her cuticles were itchy and fingers felt slightly hot...therefore i soaked the gel off completely and gave her 2 weeks with no gel on...saturday just gone she came and said she had no problems and so i re gelled her nails she phoned me on the eening saying her nails and cutlicles were itchy and her fingers were red hot! does anyone know what this can be as im really worriedwhat it is...is it some thing i have done? can any one help?xx:cry:

she could have allergy to the gel, especially the dust from them. i find the dust from gel and some tips brings me out in dermatitis which is an allergic reaction. some of the things you describe sound very similar to the symptoms i get. Has she worn gel before she came to you? xx

Mmmm could be a reaction to the gel...reactions like this can often happen over a long period of time.

Mmmm could be a reaction to the gel...reactions like this can often happen over a long period of time.

very true, i used gel for about 6months every day on clients before i got an allergic reaction, now i just wear gloves.

if i have been doing her nails for 2 years would she still get this kind of reaction? i buff really lightly and i am careful with cuticle work so i would not think it was me being heavy handed with the buffing?

sometimes you can develop reactions without any reason at all even if you.ve used the product time and time again without any reaction ..you can never find the cause except thru a dermatologist... maybe ask your client if she has changed something in her own cause...such as soaps..shampoos ect ..even applying nail polish or acetone>? it is worth finding the cause ..least it may be a worry of your shoulders....hth

It sounds as though she has become sensitive to one of the products used. Could be the gel or maybe adhesive or another product could be the culprit!

If it is the gel, then if you offer another system (liquid and powder or another gel brand) then she may be ok with that - it all depends on what is causing the reaction.

We do occasionally see this with the odd gel client and a change to liquid and powder usually works ok (we do a trial nail first, just in case l&p is still a problem). The sensitivity is unlikely to go away and often gets worse with each infil.

Hope that helps a little :hug:

i'd agree with all of the above you can be fine with a product for years and all of a sudden become sensitive/allergic to it.

Can you offer her something else?

amb x

MINKUS I'd agree with all of the above you can be fine with a product for years and all of a sudden become sensitive/allergic to it.

JaneyK sometimes you can develop reactions without any reason at all even if you.ve used the product time and time again without any reaction

This kind of thing does NOT happen suddenly or for NO reason.

Overexposure occurs very slowly over time and only appears to happen suddenly when the person's skin erupts with an allergic reaction. Chances are the client has had symptoms before (like slight itching) and ignored the signs as they were only temporary.

Gels are well known for being likely to cause allergy as they come into contact with the skin more than other products because of their sticky nature and the unreacted inhibition layer that many techs smear onto their clients skin each time they remove it!! Gel users should be very careful of this removal process and of their own hands coming into constant contact with unreacted gel.

Latest posts

Back