itec or city & guild nail tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracys Beauty

Serenity Beauty Boutique
Reaction score
hello this my first post so sorry if its in the wrong place, im a qualified beauty therapist and also trained in nail extensions in 1999 and only have a diploma and did a conversion course with ezflow, im starting an itec level 3 nail technology course soon and wondered if itec is better than nvq or city & guild,
there are so many different types of qualifications.
tracy x:eek:

they reckon itec is internationally recognised , which is why i did it, only to find out its a load of &%$%^, it might be recognised in the eu but any further a field and no chance !!
i have done both types , itec and nvq c&g , the only difference was itec had a end of year exam and nvq was on going (which i preffered tbh)
its totally up to you , but i dont think from what i learnt there is much difference , hth xx

that was a very quick response thanks,
so its not as good as nvq then

well i wouldnt say its not as good , just that they reckon its international and in america its no use or ornament ! lol ,
both equal really , just depends wether you want final exams or not , (they are a killer )

hello this my first post so sorry if its in the wrong place, im a qualified beauty therapist and also trained in nail extensions in 1999 and only have a diploma and did a conversion course with ezflow, im starting an itec level 3 nail technology course soon and wondered if itec is better than nvq or city & guild,
there are so many different types of qualifications.
tracy x:eek:

At the college I attended they did both ITEC in beauty therapy which included nails, but I didn't want anything else so I opted for VTCT in Nail Services which covers manis and pedis, nail enhancements (all types) and nail art (plus anatomy and physiology). I think (please excuse me if I'm wrong) but that course is equivalent to NVQ2.

Hths:hug:

I'm researching training at the moment and it's driving me mad! I found an ITEC course in Nail Technology, but when I emailed the college it bounced straight back, leading me to believe the college is possibly "not all that"? My main interest is nails and waxing (but there's nothing I don't want to learn!), and I really like the look of the ITEC syllabus (looks bl**dy hard though!)...I don't know whether to go the NVQ route (all I can find near me is Beauty Therapy, haven't been able to find the Nail Services one...yet!) or whether to do one of the "private" (don't know what to call them) courses in nails and just get cracking...any advice?

ps - I realised that the way I phrased this might look as if I think "private" courses are an easy route - I don't think that at all, I imagine they're mega intense and know from reading around the site that the good ones are brilliant and would cover all the important basics about safety and everything, gosh I'm not very articulate today. Please forgive me!

Look ladies, all these courses cover the same things. C&G criteria are the same as the nvq and I would imagine ITEC is the same. Just different training providers that's all.

All of these are only a minimum qualification anyway. MINIMUM qualification to perform nail enhancements.

You are better to do a course in Nail Technology on its own with CND or NSI. In college they show you everything in 1 day and thats it. I have done nails in college and we had 1 week to pass, i then took private course which was much thorogh.

Nails - not something you can learn overnight, it requires a lot of practice and will power.

:eek:

All of these are only a minimum qualification anyway. MINIMUM qualification to perform nail enhancements.

I think that's one of the things I'm worried about, there's so much to learn and it takes so much dedication and practice to be any good - I want to make sure I start with a good foundation. Thanks to you lovely megahelpful Nail Geeks I've decided to go with the CND Foundation (I think! almost definitely!), now I just have to save up to pay for it! I'm so excited though it's pathetic, I might have burst by the time there's enough pennies in the bank!
One more question for you - I've taken note of books that geeks swear by and would it be okay for me to start reading, or will I just confuse myself and should just wait til I get to training?

You've made the best choice you could possible make believe me.

Nothing wrong with reading up on the subject of nails and nail enhancing .. I wouldn't get into technique at this stage, (something general). Reading about techniques that you can't visualise or understand would just be pointless and confusing.

Just make sure any books you read are up to date and accurate. Your CND course will be the most up to date and accurate there is.

thanks for all your help :)
tracy x x

Latest posts

Back