Just done nails with gelac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cathill

Reaction score
Ok so after weeks of deciding i purchaced Gelac and ive just done a french on myself i am impressed so far it took way longer than i thought it would though but i love the fact im dry and ready to go it isnt as glossy as i would like but maybe thats something to do with my application i need to perfect it but loving it lets see how long it lasts!!!How long does it take you guys to do a full set. x:Love:

I'm only new to nails and did a French Shellac (I know you used Gelac) today. It took me 50 mins: from the start with filing the free edge, cuticle work etc and each coat, to finish with solar oil.

Obviously I'd like to get my time down and am trying but I find some people's nails need more cuticle work than others and I like to make sure I do it right, I don't want anyone to experience lifting :confused:

A person who is a competent polisher and with experience, 30 minutes using Shellac.

Not sure of how you use your lamp with gelac or cure times, but with my five finger lamp, 10 second cure for the base coat, and no need for buffing or messing around in between costs and no bonder or nail prime etc, Shellac is very easy and very quick.

Ive found it takes a little longer with dark coloured gelacs. I used a black and did as the instructions said, a 3 minute cure for each coat of colour. So it does take a little more time than light coloured gelacs.

how are you getting on with gelac? all the sets ive done have chipped in 4 days!! even with the new bonding base coat, i'm following all the instuctions & have an ibd jett 5000 lamp

well im only on day 3 but there still looking like new.
It took me about 45 mins to compleate the full set whitch isnt so bad if it lasts the full 2 weeks.
The base needs to be put on really really thinly you need to wipe the neck on the side if the bottle several times then that will do the full ten nails without dipping brush in again thats how little you need.
There is no messing in between curing you dont do anything yes you need to prime but thats no big deal takes seconds .
I did 4 fingers on 1 hand and the thumb of the other and cured at same time it worked fine.
I went for gelac simply because they sell it in the wholesalers which is on the next road to me so its easy for me to drop in and pick up whatever i need the product so far is great and im pleased with it.:lol:

I am at least three weeks now into my gelac. Still look great, with only a little growth showing at the cuticle. No chipping at all. Most impressed!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Well I hate it its compleate garbage ive had no end of complaints mine chipped after 5 days so did everyone elses I have a waiting list of people wanting this but to be honest im taking it all back it s NAFF!! and everyone of my clients has had to have it removed they say shelac is so much better they say it lasts way longer the shine is better and thier nails are stronger with it!! Sweet squared here i come should of got it in the first place :mad::irked:&:cry:

I think you'll find much happiness with Shellac. Not just with ease of application, but also with ease of removal.

i hated the gelac i couldnt get it to last on my nails at all, yeah my nails are not the best but i still think it should last if thats what it says it does. maybe it would have lasted for longer on better nails but i get alot of clients who dont have that perfect nail bed. anyway i bought the mani q ( gel polish not the tubs) in and so far i cant even compere the 2. mani q just feel alot better and last like they should (even on my not so perfect nails)

I think in here somewhere is a lesson to be learnt :)

I know some of you are just starting out and have limited amounts of money, but these cheaper gel polishes are just a waste of time and your hard earned cash.
You need to have confidence/trust in the products you use...it shouldn't matter if it's applied to short or long nails.
I did post in another thread that I went to Capitals and brought a bottle Gellux (now I only did this because a client wanted green(yuk) and it was colour I didn't have with my normal brand.) But honestly it was so nasty, the brush hairs would hardly even spread, it was gloopy..whilst this product was faily cheap..just think how much longer it's going to take you to apply this horrid stuff to your nails, took me longer and I just don't have this time to waste.

So save your pennies and choose a brand with a good reputation xx

Oh and just so you know when I remove this mess, she had stained nails, not a good look!

gelac isnt actually cheaper than the other brands - so i wouldnt say it was a cheap make its ibd, thought ibd was a reputable brand.

A little bit off the subject but I can't wait to order Shellac from S2 however I sent them all info via email a few days ago to register with them, certs etc. but not heard anything from them.. Anyone any idea how long it takes to get set up with them??

gelac isnt actually cheaper than the other brands - so i wouldnt say it was a cheap make its ibd, thought ibd was a reputable brand.

It's about the same price as shellac/ gellish ect & it is a good brand I live the buff off gel & have had good results all round with it! I wanted to stick with my brand but I'm giving it one last chance, in all fairness graftons have been very helpful about it

A little bit off the subject but I can't wait to order Shellac from S2 however I sent them all info via email a few days ago to register with them, certs etc. but not heard anything from them.. Anyone any idea how long it takes to get set up with them??

You need now to follow up with a call direct. 08452106060
S2 are so inundated with calls all day long that it is nearly impossible to get to email enquiries quickly, so call them and explain what you have done and you can most likely get your membership number and be able to order immediately. There are 15 lovely people on the phones in customer care and they will be only to pleased to assist you with your order for Shellac.

Just because a company brings out a gel/polish etc, doesn't mean it's going to be great.

Alot of companys have put more time and effort in there soak off's, other have just produced something quick to keep up with the jones's

It's worth reading about a product before investing..what reviews it has etc
Now I don't know much about Gelac..but to be honest I haven't seen too many good words about it! Infact more negative then positive. Just my view is all :)

Thanks Geeg, will do that this afternoon :)

Another key factor is how well they soak off, I tested a lot but they all weren't as good at coming off.

Thats right it wasnt any cheaper than shellac!. but anyway my shellac arrived today and just the actual polish brush is sooooooooooooo much better ive done a french lets see how i go!!:lol:

Latest posts

Back