Just Qualified and confused!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraggle

Reaction score
Been thinking about doing this thread for the last couple of days, but iv been that down about this i havent even been able to go on the beloved GEEK!!

Iv just passed my CND foundation L&P. but i feel completely like a duck out of water!!... I cant get that many people to practice on and although i have so far made some passable nails i have so far to go!! more training is hard as it means more spondulicks, (not easy at this moment). :mad:

I saved like mad and was so enthusiastic for this course and now im like? errrmmm what do i do now, with noone to practice on, do i give up my normal day job and get some salon experience. my initial idea was mobile to start around my day job, but i am so not confident enough for that!!:confused:

Anyway enough waffling, just thought some geeks may have come accross this down feeling too when they first was out there!!!:hug:

hey chic

Look at it this way, you've passed your foundation course which is good, the only way forward is to practice loads, practice on tips a trainer hand, and a good one i found was to practise on myself.
Cheer up you will get better, and when you can afford to do some more training to get your confidence up, and give up your day job when you feel ready.
hth's:)

dont feel down. Nobody walks into a profession knowing it all. I too am starting out except I have completley jacked my job in already because I was so unhappy there. And I am just going for it ! A steep learning curve i know but thats the way i do things. As for your practice, why dont you pop a postcard in the local post office/tesco's/local paper and advertise for "Nail Models" and do it a cheaper rate for them. Hairdressers do it for their trainees to learn so I dont see how the Nail industry can be that much different. Insurance may be an issue if you are not covered, i would get some. But it will give you loads of practice (hopefully!) Good Luck x

hi Fraggle

I have just done a nail tech course and before i do my exam i need people to practice on so i printed off loads of flyers got my friends daughter to post them with her papers and then also got my daughter to do the other big estate and i have got about 20 people already the down side is i am only charging a bit more than what it costs me to do the nails but i am getting the practice and they know that they are getting cheap nails from someone who is practising they also know that in July my prices are going up but still cheaper than else where, also offered themincentives and i have had refereals from them so give it a go

good luck

xx

Or chin up hun, I think the best way to practice and a really excellent investment is a training hand, I couldnt of lived without mine. u can get them quite cheap of ebay, u can practice at your own speed and in your onw time, dont give up i too work and do mobile around my job, at first i found it hard to get enough practice but trust me it will all come clear in the end,

First of:lol: have a look on this site for the tutorial on prep, I say this because I found that whilst my cnd foundation course was very good, I trained with Kelly and Anne Swain, I solved all those pesky lifting problems from reading that tutorial.
Next, you say you have a day job, so if you work with any women ask them if you can do them some 'model' price nails because you need to get your speed up:lol:
At home practice on your self, remember to do your dominant hand first, and get creative, try out those things you will find on this site that you think wow!!! If you don't like them so long as your finished shape is fine you can always cover up with nail art, I've done that loads of times, clients think I'm funky, they don't realise its because my left hand smile lines are c**p:lol:
finally, if you work with fella's that doesn't let you of the hook, you get to bully them into buying their wives/girlfriends/sisters a Model price set of nails.
My first sets of nails had my heart pounding so loud I'm gob smacked my clients couldn't hear it, but you have to toughen up and be an extrovert in order to get noticed and not get walked all over. Good luck hun, get a few months experience under your belt and then book a 121 day to target what YOU want to learn.:hug:

Mirelle, im in the same boat and know just how you feel, ive bought a trainer hand off ebay, so i can pratice if ive only got a spare hour. im hopefull and determined, so chin up, perhaps we can email to exchange information?
regards jane

Have a :hug: firstly.

Secondly I know exactly how you feel.

I have only done one paying client so far, and I'm doing my first re-balance tomorrow.

I look at her nails that I've done and I think 'OMG they're crap!' But she loves them, is so pleased and her friend loves them enough to pay me to do hers on Saturday!!

Its getting those first clients and having the courage to do them and believe in yourself.

I'm not yet sure I believe nor do I have much courage but I am so determined that I want this I'll keep plugging away.

Do you still have your trainer hand? I know I ought to practice more than I do, it will all help.

mirelle

i know this feeling, although mines only mani/pedi at the mo, but im sort of like, well im almost finished, what am i going to do now, ive tried advertising on my car windows but have only gained one model/client!! thinking of trying a leaflet drop around my loacl area, will ask my kids to do this for me over summer hols, maybe you could do this?

i would avdertise in local shops and free papers hun, as to giving up job and going for it, thats up to you to decide can you afford to do this, im lucky in a way as i only work at home for my hubby, so no wage to lose, if and when i ever start earning anything it will be a bonus for us (a much needed bonus lol) so only you know if you can risk this or not

anyway hun, keep your chin up, im sure things will pick up, but deffo invest in nail trainer and keep practising, i cant wear any at the mo cos of college and oncholysis, but if you want when ive finished college in few weeks, you can do mine for me

luv nicky xx

I had trouble finding people to practise on, so used my nail trainer and myself. Once you start walking around with fab nails all your mates will be queueing up to have you practise on them. That's what happened to me. :hug:

Thanks guys, i know Pure was training at the same time as me too..... so hugs back Pure:hug:....

I know i need to get a grip with it all, its disheartening too, when the one person who keeps coming back to me pings them off all the time (by her own admition may i add!!) and i feel like saying this is beginning to become very annoying as i do them for free all the time!!:mad:

Im trying to educate the girl's at work as they have had bad experience's and wont allow any more enhancements, :irked:so i can do a quick prep and polish on there natural nails and thats it!

Il keep trooping on though!!

Thanks guys, i know Pure was training at the same time as me too..... so hugs back Pure:hug:....

I know i need to get a grip with it all, its disheartening too, when the one person who keeps coming back to me pings them off all the time (by her own admition may i add!!) and i feel like saying this is beginning to become very annoying as i do them for free all the time!!:mad:

Im trying to educate the girl's at work as they have had bad experience's and wont allow any more enhancements, :irked:so i can do a quick prep and polish on there natural nails and thats it!

Il keep trooping on though!!

You should charge her something hun, to cover your costs at least. She's not going to look after them if they're costing her nothing.

Latest posts

Back