l&p burning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbie25

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Ive done a search for this but have found nothing! maybe im searching for the wrong thing as ive never heard of this before, but here goes...

I was was doing a rebalence of l&p on a regular client today, She was a nail biter but now has lovely nails that have reattached perfectly. I had finished applying the l&p to the first had and was just about to move on to the next when she said that her thumb was getting quite hot, This has never happened to a client of mine before. When i felt the nail it was REALLY hot and although she said it was uncomfortable she wasent in pain. After a few minutes it had cooled right down. Ive heard that some people feel a slight burning when gels are cureing, but never when l&p is setting.

Does anyone know why this happend?, Could it have been my ratio? or maybe primer?

By the way i use the NSI Attraction range. Sorry for the long thread and thanks in advance for any help you can give xxx

Hi Everyone,

Ive done a search for this but have found nothing! maybe im searching for the wrong thing as ive never heard of this before, but here goes...

I was was doing a rebalence of l&p on a regular client today, She was a nail biter but now has lovely nails that have reattached perfectly. I had finished applying the l&p to the first had and was just about to move on to the next when she said that her thumb was getting quite hot, This has never happened to a client of mine before. When i felt the nail it was REALLY hot and although she said it was uncomfortable she wasent in pain. After a few minutes it had cooled right down. Ive heard that some people feel a slight burning when gels are cureing, but never when l&p is setting.

Does anyone know why this happend?, Could it have been my ratio? or maybe primer?

By the way i use the NSI Attraction range. Sorry for the long thread and thanks in advance for any help you can give xxx

acrylic l/p does give off heat as it cures.
if you ratio is a bit wet you will notice it more.

if the client has sensitive fingers she'll feel it more.

or if you have just removed an overlay or done a lot of filing to correct lifting etc.

Every product gives off heat when curing... normally people do not feel it with L&P unless the application is thick or the mix ratio is too wet or both at the same time. For a guess I would say that it was her thumb that felt hot as this tends to be the nail you apply the most product to. Am I right???:)

It is called an exothermic reaction. Use less product next time. It will never be actuALLY PAINFUL but some clients feel it on a thin or sensitive nail.

Most clients will not feel the exothermic reaction with L&P even if their nails are sensitive or just been removed etc. It really is more as sign that you are working too wet or too thick.

I experienced this when I caught one of my nails in my hair whilst washing it and accidentally pulled the enhancement off. It got quite warm when the L&P was appled again, tapping with the opposite end of the brush seemed to stop this but I did feel a slight throbbing in that finger later. I put this down to damage of the natural nail and the next day it was fine.
It just seemed to make that nail very sensitive for a short period of time.
Gigi posted this a while ago...hth
When product is applied too thickly, some clients with sensitive fingers, or thin nail plates, can feel the exothermic heat the product gives off when curing. When Liquid and powder cures, it gives off heat ... most of us do not feel it as it is very subtle ... but if you work too thickly, they can feel it. It is not usually an uncomfortable sensation, but that depends on the person.

Work with less product and the correct mix ratio.

as the girls have said...probably to wet.....but if they are uncomfortable and it happens again....you can give it a quick spray with some alcohol and it will take the heat sensation away.........

this happened to me once when i was training at college - but has never happened since. i think it was because my natural nails had been filed to within an inch of their life and there was hardly anything left!! they were brutal the girls i trained with lol!!

tori x

i've had this happen.
just dip their finger into some water. it takes the burning right away!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

How about you just do't allow this burning sensation to happen in the first place.

After all, it shouldn't happen that we ever make our clients feel ucomfortable.

If we know that the problem is caused by too thick an application or too wet a mix ratio, or applying to a damaged/thinned nail, then it is up to us to take all precautions to prevent it, rather than spraying with alcohol or dipping in water.

I have to say I have never heard of the heat from L&P being so severe that anyone had to spray or put the fire out!! :eek: I would hold the technician who caused such a thing as accountable and negligent for not noticing a thin or damaged nail and taking the appropriate precautions.

In 10 years behind the table I have never heard of a client feeling such heat as to have to 'spray' 'tap' or 'dunk' their finger ... it is not an every day occurence.

I have never had this happen to a client before, but I went to have my nails done for my wedding, before I started doing nails. I had Gel overlays as I had long natural nails. The technician applied the gel soooooo thickly that all my fingers were in pain! I think that the gel was applied so thickly on my ring finger that it burnt the nail! It was very sore for a long time after that!

I have never had this happen to a client before, but I went to have my nails done for my wedding, before I started doing nails. I had Gel overlays as I had long natural nails. The technician applied the gel soooooo thickly that all my fingers were in pain! I think that the gel was applied so thickly on my ring finger that it burnt the nail! It was very sore for a long time after that!

Feeling heat from a gel system is completely different than with Liquid & powder, which is what this thread is refering to.

Gels often have a characteristically strong 'heat spike' and this is common (still doesn't have to happen but there are some not too good nail techs out there). What you experienced is sadly quite common as opposed to someone feeling heat with a L&P system which is very uncommon.

Thanks everyone for your help, I think i probably applied the l&p too thick then because her natural nails are fine (and not thin at all) even though she was a nail biter. Thanks again for your replys xx:)

If the room you were working in was hotter than normal, or if you were working in direct sunlight this can also cause an exothermic reaction occur, as can using a table lamp with a bulb above a 60 watt.

Also if your monomer was warm this may happen hth's

Every product gives off heat when curing... normally people do not feel it with L&P unless the application is thick or the mix ratio is too wet or both at the same time. For a guess I would say that it was her thumb that felt hot as this tends to be the nail you apply the most product to. Am I right???:)

It is called an exothermic reaction. Use less product next time. It will never be actuALLY PAINFUL but some clients feel it on a thin or sensitive nail.

Most clients will not feel the exothermic reaction with L&P even if their nails are sensitive or just been removed etc. It really is more as sign that you are working too wet or too thick.

I remember having this with a client about 8/9 motnhs ago now, it's nice to know what actually caused it because at the time I had no idea!

Thanks Gigi!

Teri x:hug:

i don't know about anyone else, but, crap happens.
some things can't be prevented, like when they "pop" a nail off by banging it or something. that, unfortunately is one of the things that can make a nail burn.
it's not my fault and i should not be held accountable for that.
if a hair customer gets her hair colored blonde and then goes into the sun and a pool and her hair turns green (chemical reaction), is it the hair dressers fault, no.
question, what "should" be done if someone comes in with a popped off nail?
how should we keep the burning from happening?

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

i don't know about anyone else, but, crap happens.
some things can't be prevented, like when they "pop" a nail off by banging it or something. that, unfortunately is one of the things that can make a nail burn.
it's not my fault and i should not be held accountable for that.
if a hair customer gets her hair colored blonde and then goes into the sun and a pool and her hair turns green (chemical reaction), is it the hair dressers fault, no.
question, what "should" be done if someone comes in with a popped off nail?
how should we keep the burning from happening?

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

Work in two thin coats instead of one thick one and make sure your mix ratio is spot on for your product.

I've not had this happen to me for along time...( when I was starting out ) I was new to the whole ratio/applying bit....hey I was learning.:o I agree you should know 'why ' it's happening ....

but some clients are babies ....and to shut her up....I "sprayed" her..:confused: ...then she relaxed.....

with experience/knowledge I apply my product better now....(thought I'd explain my reasoning for saying what I did earlier)......

Latest posts

Back