LA tan, thoughts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kim.ro18

Reaction score
Hi,ive seen a great deal with La tan, but they offer online training which I'm not sure about, anyone got advice on a general tanning course I can do and then buy the kit from them

Also the deal seems very good, I worry the ta isn't as good? Any one used it and happy with results? Anything I should know?

La tan is fantastic, I love it and wouldn't use anything else.
I thought they also did training with trainers not just online x

I've looked over there website they do do training at different venues, call them on 0161 483 7156 and they will tell you a trainer x

I use LA Tan and my customers love it, the Fast tan is great!

LA Tan Is Great I Love The Fast Tan :)

I use LA. Its fab. Great brown based colour, nice fade off, full range of %'s which you can mix, great price too (always got bogof on). I agree that the fast tan is brilliant, I also use the fast tan as my super dark tan (if needed) as its 20%.

The only less positive points I'll add are that the smell is not so great (with exception of fast tan), its not horrendous but not scented like other brands. The guide colour is double dipped (double the darkness of normal tan guide colour) so best to let clients know its only guide that is mega dark and not to panic! You will find some ladies love it though and are disappointed that tan isn't as dark as guide colour when they wash it off. I have read reviews that LA's gold range is rubbish so have steered clear.

If you want to stock a golden tan I would recommend Nouvatan. I stock Nouvatan alongside LA so I can offer both brown and glden based tans. HTH x

I've looked over there website they do do training at different venues, call them on 0161 483 7156 and they will tell you a trainer x

Aww thank you, me rushing, probably not looking, thanks ill give them a call,do they offer dif types of tan

Another vote for LA Tan. Quite a few of us tanning geeks on here use it. It's a gorgeous colour in any shade and fades off nicely too. All my clients comment on how natural it is and people say to them they can't believe it's a spray tan. No awful smell or stickiness either. Love it! :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I use LA. Its fab. Great brown based colour, nice fade off, full range of %'s which you can mix, great price too (always got bogof on). I agree that the fast tan is brilliant, I also use the fast tan as my super dark tan (if needed) as its 20%.

The only less positive points I'll add are that the smell is not so great (with exception of fast tan), its not horrendous but not scented like other brands. The guide colour is double dipped (double the darkness of normal tan guide colour) so best to let clients know its only guide that is mega dark and not to panic! You will find some ladies love it though and are disappointed that tan isn't as dark as guide colour when they wash it off. I have read reviews that LA's gold range is rubbish so have steered clear.

If you want to stock a golden tan I would recommend Nouvatan. I stock Nouvatan alongside LA so I can offer both brown and glden based tans. HTH x

Thanks for the info, sorry to sound like an idiot, but are there did styles of tan, as u mention dark and gold?, I know I need a tan for those want a naturall tan, and a tan for those who like the MEGA tan/orange haha, ive a few friends who love it

I trained with the owner of la tan in Stockport about 18 months ago, I decided not to stock la tan & tried every other tan going, I wanted a more well known brand to bring people in, but those tans didn't cut it.

I've now used la tan for the past 3 months & don't stock any other just la & my clients are happy x

Thanks for the info, sorry to sound like an idiot, but are there did styles of tan, as u mention dark and gold?, I know I need a tan for those want a naturall tan, and a tan for those who like the MEGA tan/orange haha, ive a few friends who love it

Generally there are 2 different colours of tan. The first is brown based tans the second is golden based tans. Both will give you a natural looking tan if you are using the correct % solution on clients skin tone. The correct % solution is key to successful tanning imo. If your clients like a deep dark tan then I would use a brown based tan. On the negative side as the colour isn't particularly warm it can look dirty (iykwim) and very slightly grey/green on certain skin tones. The golden tan is great and looks really natural especially in lower %'s. The negatives are in my opinion it can look orangy esp in higher %'s and for clients that like a dark tan it just isn't deep/dark enough. The highest % tan available at the moment is 20% which LA stock (branded as fast tan), it is dark but not orange as its brown based.

I'm really pale and prefer a brown based tan on me rather than a golden one. However most of my pale ladies prefer the golden.

LA tan stock both brown and golden. As stated above their gold range hasn't had great reviews on here so I would steer clear. If you decided you wanted to stock a golden tan I would recommend you try Nouvatan. Probably best to wait until you have you kit get some samples.

Generally there are 2 different colours of tan. The first is brown based tans the second is golden based tans. Both will give you a natural looking tan if you are using the correct % solution on clients skin tone. The correct % solution is key to successful tanning imo. If your clients like a deep dark tan then I would use a brown based tan. On the negative side as the colour isn't particularly warm it can look dirty (iykwim) and very slightly grey/green on certain skin tones. The golden tan is great and looks really natural especially in lower %'s. The negatives are in my opinion it can look orangy esp in higher %'s and for clients that like a dark tan it just isn't deep/dark enough. The highest % tan available at the moment is 20% which LA stock (branded as fast tan), it is dark but not orange as its brown based.

I'm really pale and prefer a brown based tan on me rather than a golden one. However most of my pale ladies prefer the golden.

LA tan stock both brown and golden. As stated above their gold range hasn't had great reviews on here so I would steer clear. If you decided you wanted to stock a golden tan I would recommend you try Nouvatan. Probably best to wait until you have you kit get some samples.

Thank you very much, yeah I also like nouvatan too, I was mixed between the two, but like suggested I though id have both. I was looking tabs kit with the ts20, Ive been told it can do 15-20 tans back to back with no issue, not taste I see myself being there busy for a while, or ever, as its only a part time job,( full times, is my 1 year old :) ), does it seem right to go for that one or the bigger ts50

Sorry for all the questions, I'm Scottish and don't like parting with money on the wrong things lol

Thank you very much, yeah I also like nouvatan too, I was mixed between the two, but like suggested I though id have both. I was looking tabs kit with the ts20, Ive been told it can do 15-20 tans back to back with no issue, not taste I see myself being there busy for a while, or ever, as its only a part time job,( full times, is my 1 year old :) ), does it seem right to go for that one or the bigger ts50

Sorry for all the questions, I'm Scottish and don't like parting with money on the wrong things lol

The TS20 can do about 3 tans in a row before needing a rest (it will overheat otherwise). The TS50 will just keep going. I have the older version of TS50 (Maximist/5008 same compressor as TS50 but with same gun as TS20!) For me its worth the additional expense as I have no worries, its a real work horse. Like you I'm at home with 4yr old, 18mth old and have one on the way too so by no means do I work full time tanning. However I have found that I do need to do more than 3 tans in a row as have ladies that come together for tans and also some nights might have back to back tans. If you can afford the additional expense than I would def recommend TS50.

The TS20 can do about 3 tans in a row before needing a rest (it will overheat otherwise). The TS50 will just keep going. I have the older version of TS50 (Maximist/5008 same compressor as TS50 but with same gun as TS20!) For me its worth the additional expense as I have no worries, its a real work horse. Like you I'm at home with 4yr old, 18mth old and have one on the way too so by no means do I work full time tanning. However I have found that I do need to do more than 3 tans in a row as have ladies that come together for tans and also some nights might have back to back tans. If you can afford the additional expense than I would def recommend TS50.

Aww thanks ,yeah I think it's only another 80 for the ts50,that was the one I was going to go for, but when I had asked they said up to 20, tut tut, love this site, that I get first hand knowledge !. Can I ask who you trained with, or who you would recommend training with?, is it best to go with the tan you want to use, or is there so,else out there with good training?

I've got a ts20, it's been fine for the last year & half, I've done probably 8 tans in one day at the most & my machine is still going strong x

I trained with Nouvatan but brought my kit form LA. I can't really recommend a company to train with as think they are probably all pretty similar. There is only so much they can show you in a few hours and alot of that time is going through health and safety rather than the the practical side of things.

I did loads and loads of research about spray tanning before hand and found that this was what really helped me out. I have read 100's if not 1000's of threads on salon geek and other websites. If you use the search function you will find so many threads about tanning. Even reading about other geeks problems and what geeks answer will help you out in future. As they say knowledge is power!

Their are lots of Geeks that use the TS20. I definately isn't a bad machine, but compared to TS50 it isn't as designed to work as hard. I know that it would be have been just my luck that if I had gone for TS20 I'd have burnt it out. I could just imagine it going bang on me whilst doing a spray tan party lol! When I was looking to purchase I decided I wanted a machine that would be suitable for heavy use so I knew it would cope with any additional demand as my business grew.

I trained with Nouvatan but brought my kit form LA. I can't really recommend a company to train with as think they are probably all pretty similar. There is only so much they can show you in a few hours and alot of that time is going through health and safety rather than the the practical side of things.

I did loads and loads of research about spray tanning before hand and found that this was what really helped me out. I have read 100's if not 1000's of threads on salon geek and other websites. If you use the search function you will find so many threads about tanning. Even reading about other geeks problems and what geeks answer will help you out in future. As they say knowledge is power!

Their are lots of Geeks that use the TS20. I definately isn't a bad machine, but compared to TS50 it isn't as designed to work as hard. I know that it would be have been just my luck that if I had gone for TS20 I'd have burnt it out. I could just imagine it going bang on me whilst doing a spray tan party lol! When I was looking to purchase I decided I wanted a machine that would be suitable for heavy use so I knew it would cope with any additional demand as my business grew.

Thanks, I think I'll go with the ts50, it was the one I was going to go with originally. And I was planningbtrainingbwit nouvatan, I just need to find a trainer I think.

I've been planning tanning for almost a year now, I'm secretly at the back reading what people post too and working up to actually doing it lol.

Thanks, I think I'll go with the ts50, it was the one I was going to go with originally. And I was planningbtrainingbwit nouvatan, I just need to find a trainer I think.

I've been planning tanning for almost a year now, I'm secretly at the back reading what people post too and working up to actually doing it lol.

If you give Nouvatan a call they will be able to give you advice about their training venues. Also worth looking at their TS50 kit price as they include free training with it (not sure what kit includes or price though).

Good luck hope everything goes well. Let me know if you need any help x

We are both trained in and use Nouvatan!! Locally one or two other salons use LA Tan and many of my friends went to these salons regularly before we opened.....but had a moan about their tans every now and again. As soon as we tested Nouvatan on them they were sold. No bad odour, no orange tinges, no shocking patchy look as soon as you're tanned!! The smell alone from LA Tan turned me right off.

If you're starting out...as I was a year ago....then in my opinion it's definitely worth trying a few samples and making Nouvatan one of them!

I'm buying the nouvatan kit they're letting me buy for £xxx as having the training with someone else on Monday and was already booked,this includes the ts50 machine can any of u girls tell me the nouvatan is it dark? I've just had a really bad experience with la tan someone used the fast tan on me it was literally running down my body after she did it and I was bright orange,I can't even get the tan of after trying everything. Was really upset xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back