Lash FX not patch testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady*b

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Just after some info I had my lashes done the other day and was really surprised that the treatment form printed from lash fx said no patch test was needed as the product only touches your own lashes not your skin?!

I was really surprised because its such an important thing and was drummed into me at college to always patch test so your covered. Also I've seen it on here ppl saying how important it is.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct and why it might be?

Thanks xxx

Anyone? Really would like some advice from others not the company before I invest. Xxx

You just have to check with your insurance. And see the manufacturers instructions as well. Go with what your insurance šaus as at the end of the day they are the ones that will be looking after you once the problems (god forbid) arise.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk 2

I would patch test anyway just to be sure but I was just wondering what people's options are its put me off training with them because I think it's so important it's makes me feel uneasy about the company if that makes sense? Xxx

I trained with Nouveau and they said the same, no patch test needed.
So to start with I didn't patch test. I do now. People can have allergies to the fumes so I always patch test.
I've only ever had one client had a reaction to the patch test. This lady wanted them for her wedding. Can you imagine if I'd done a whole set on her without doing a patch test? :eek:

Exactly it just doesn't make sense I no they say its because the glue doesn't touch the skin but like u sed fumes, if u dropped 1 or misplaced it.
There's such a massive debate going on right now in regards to how often we have to patch tests for tints then for ee some companies say its not needed? Xxx

Playing devils advcate here.

How do you plan to patch test (as you would not have been taught how to in your training)?

The glue is not meant to come into contact with the skin so by putting a dab of it on the skin you are going against the recomendations for the product (it's not to come in contact with skin).

If your going to apply a few lashes to the eyes you have to use all your prep products too and the reation could be to any one of those products.

How will you know which product was the cause of the reaction to try and eliminate it from the service should the client want to try alternatives.

Playing devils advcate here.

How do you plan to patch test (as you would not have been taught how to in your training)?

The glue is not meant to come into contact with the skin so by putting a dab of it on the skin you are going against the recomendations for the product (it's not to come in contact with skin).

If your going to apply a few lashes to the eyes you have to use all your prep products too and the reation could be to any one of those products.

How will you know which product was the cause of the reaction to try and eliminate it from the service should the client want to try alternatives.

So wat is your opinion then not to patch test? Xxx

I do what my insurance requires me to, and that is to follow my training.

So my question is still:
IF your training does NOT teach patch testing how do you plan to test?

Are you actually going to be covered to patch test in the way you chose?

I know the whole 'to patch test or not' debate as I am qualified in EE & lash & brow tinting, I have to check when my reneal is due (in March) what the insurance provider wants from me and then check what the manufacturer says etc.. to make sure I do what I need to so I am covered but also to ensure my clients are safe and that I am not putting them at undue risk of getting a life long alergy by exposing them to products that they should not be exposed to.

Patch test by putting a couple of lashes on the outside edge of each eye.
My client who had a reaction, her eyes went all puffy and itchy. If that was a full set it would have been awful for her especially just before her wedding.
Ellibee on here has a reaction to the fumes and so when she does lashes she has to wear goggles, mask, gloves etc and that's just an allergy to fumes.
Always patch test, it's not worth the risk when you are working on people's eyes.

Personally I think it is a silly idea not to patch test. It is ok saying that the glue should not touch the skin but what if it does? Especially with newly qualified techs it is perfectly feasible that the glue may touch the lid.

It is just easier to be safe and do a patch test, I have had a client react badly to a patch test for lash dye, it is something that I don't really want to see whilst doing a full treatment!:wink2:

Ok so training says not to patch test and then client has major reaction?

That could have been prevented by doing a patch test even if training says you don't have to.

I know it's an endless dilemma but that was exactly the point I was trying to get across.

Is there stance on patch testing just a get off clause as there's no right or wrong answer?

Lash FX is another brand offered by Lash Perfect and I was trained a few years ago by Lash Perfect and at the time of training, they said patch testing was not required.

However some time later ( in the first year), I received an email and a letter stating that it was now a requirement that patch tests were carried out prior to all treatments and I also would never carry out a treatment without first patch testing and I do this by prepping the exact same way I would prior to a full set, then applying a couple of lashes to each eye.

It is not worth the risk of the damage that could be caused to someone when they react badly to your treatment.

H xx

It sounds to me like you are very 'for' patch testing. As am I. Like others have said, its better to be safe then sorry. Yes, the glue doesn't or shouldn't come into contact with the skin. However, the fumes are in the air... and its not just the glue the client may have a reaction to. It could be the primer, sealant, remover, gel pads etc.

Insurers will usually say go with your training or what the manufacturer says. If your training says not to patch test then technically you shouldn't patch test as your insurance may suggest you aren't covered as your doing something your training told you not to do.

However, my question would be.... it seems to me, you clearly would rather patch test. So why not get your training done with a company that emphasizes the need to patch test to eliminate risk of reactions?

I think I will go with different training but just imagination Iv I'd booked my training without having my lashes done first I wud never hav known and wud hav wasted my money as I don't think u wud no they don't patch test until u trained.

I just feel like health and safety and insurance is all against us?

If we are sensible and patch test to prevent adverse reactions to our clients, out insurance maybe invalid.

If we don't patch test then who knows what could happen to our clients and the possible risk we're putting them at?

It seems to come down to a choice of do we want to protect clients health or protect ourselves from being sued?

I think I will go with different training but just imagination Iv I'd booked my training without having my lashes done first I wud never hav known and wud hav wasted my money as I don't think u wud no they don't patch test until u trained.

I just feel like health and safety and insurance is all against us?

If we are sensible and patch test to prevent adverse reactions to our clients, out insurance maybe invalid.

If we don't patch test then who knows what could happen to our clients and the possible risk we're putting them at?

It seems to come down to a choice of do we want to protect clients health or protect ourselves from being sued?

You don't need to pay out for extra training. Just patch test in the future.
Lots of people train with one company and then eventually start using products from another company. Say for example that you trained with Nouveau, who say not to patch test, then move to a different glue with another company who say to patch test for their glue then you patch test. Unless you feel that you need extra training then just carry on as you are but patch test clients in the future.
It's good to have a consultation when you do the patch test and you can also take a deposit at the same appointment.

You don't need to pay out for extra training. Just patch test in the future.
Lots of people train with one company and then eventually start using products from another company. Say for example that you trained with Nouveau, who say not to patch test, then move to a different glue with another company who say to patch test for their glue then you patch test. Unless you feel that you need extra training then just carry on as you are but patch test clients in the future.
It's good to have a consultation when you do the patch test and you can also take a deposit at the same appointment.

I haven't trained with them yet but it's just put me off them as a company that they would say not to patch test.

I trained with flirties and loved it! If i was you, I would go with a company you feel you would be happy with. If you dont like the way they would teach you, look at other companies :)

I trained with flirties and loved it! If i was you, I would go with a company you feel you would be happy with. If you dont like the way they would teach you, look at other companies :)

Can I ask where did you do your training? X

Ah sorry, didn't realise you hadn't trained yet.
Well have done training with Nouveau, Flirties and Lash by Francesca.
If I had to pick out of those then I'd definitely say Flirties.
I use Lash Perfect glue though, I love it!

Latest posts

Back