Last Minute Cancellations - HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeToYouNails

Reaction score
In the last 2 weeks I have had a number of new clients who have cancelled at the last minute.
I am mobile so can't just do odd jobs that need doing in a salon or help out other Techs.
I am thinking about charging a non-refundable 50% deposit for all new clients because of the last few weeks.
When my exsisting clients cancel/move/change appointments there is no problem as I know things come up Life/Kids/Work/Animals etc.
There is a whole level of trust between me and a new person to hand over money before an appointment but, I am fed up wasting so much of my time back and forth on the phone and email before an appointment.

It 's not about the money, it the time investment I have made.

What do other mobiles do?

In the last 2 weeks I have had a number of new clients who have cancelled at the last minute.
I am mobile so can't just do odd jobs that need doing in a salon or help out other Techs.
I am thinking about charging a non-refundable 50% deposit for all new clients because of the last few weeks.
When my exsisting clients cancel/move/change appointments there is no problem as I know things come up Life/Kids/Work/Animals etc.
There is a whole level of trust between me and a new person to hand over money before an appointment but, I am fed up wasting so much of my time back and forth on the phone and email before an appointment.

It 's not about the money, it the time investment I have made.

What do other mobiles do?

Well tbh I have thought about taking deposits off people I have to go out and patch test for stuff. Recently have had a few cancellations from new clients but does annoy me a few times lately where I've done this and spent time/petrol going out and then I get a text "oh can't really afford it now"!!

I do know what you mean, I think there was another thread the other day and the point everybody was making was about time / petrol going out collecting deposits.

Also know what you mean about emails! I do get a lot of enquiries through my website which I reply to but it really is starting to annoy me when I go to the trouble of replying and don't even get a response. I am thinking of stating on the enquiry form that a response will be made via telephone to their enquiry.

Put a cancelation policy in place. Redo price lists and put it on there and give every client you visit one when you visit them. Tell them that you have had to make a few amendments and that you have put a cancleation policy in place. For new clients put it on the front page of your website and on every other advertment you have.

I had this at the beginning of the year and i was sick of it. So i put this cancelation policy on all my advitisments and i printed it out and put it above my nail desk so everyone see's it. And it has worked! Obviously there will be times a client is ill and didn't feel ill until the day of her appointment which is understandable. But it does get the message across to the regular offenders!

Cancellation Policy;

Unfortunately due to a number of no shows and cancellations affecting my business, a minimum of 24 hours notice is required to cancel/postpone your nail appointment.
A 50% non-refundable deposit will apply for any future appointments made to those who do not follow this policy.

Put a cancelation policy in place. Redo price lists and put it on there and give every client you visit one when you visit them. Tell them that you have had to make a few amendments and that you have put a cancleation policy in place. For new clients put it on the front page of your website and on every other advertment you have.

I had this at the beginning of the year and i was sick of it. So i put this cancelation policy on all my advitisments and i printed it out and put it above my nail desk so everyone see's it. And it has worked! Obviously there will be times a client is ill and didn't feel ill until the day of her appointment which is understandable. But it does get the message across to the regular offenders!

Cancellation Policy;

Unfortunately due to a number of no shows and cancellations affecting my business, a minimum of 24 hours notice is required to cancel/postpone your nail appointment.
A 50% non-refundable deposit will apply for any future appointments made to those who do not follow this policy.

Great wording, very polite and to the point. May reword my policy after reading this :)

Agree, Karen Minx super phrasing of cancellation policy. With wording like that people will know you mean business.
Hairdressers often take 50% deposits when you book. But this may be more suited to techs with a station in a salon, so diff to apply to a mobile business model.
Think try Karen Minx style cancellation policy first!

Agree, Karen Minx super phrasing of cancellation policy. With wording like that people will know you mean business.
Hairdressers often take 50% deposits when you book. But this may be more suited to techs with a station in a salon, so diff to apply to a mobile business model.

Just take the deposit via a card payment when they are on the phone booking the appointment. If you don't have a card reader (which I don't) then use paypal or equivalent. You will have your deposit instantly, and then can either refund it back to their card or just take the outstanding balance at the appointment.

Being mobile doesn't mean you have to go to them for the deposit, but if they don't have a card (not many people out there that don't but there are a few) you could ask them to meet you in a convienient place - like the town centre or a cafe etc.. or pop to them and collect it but I'd also charge them a small petrol surcharge for collecting the deposit.

I didn't think about how you would take deposits being mobile!
You could always take a 50% deposit during the next appointment for the lil muckers who mess you around, say if she has a regular wax, charge her for her wax during that appointment plus a 50% deposit for her next one. Or a standard deposit of say £20 non refundable for future missed appointments and for your wasted time. Or do re write my cancleation policy and add something along the lines that 3 stikes and you out! sacked! but in a more polite manner lol!

Just to add that this has really worked for me. But i have never had to take a 50% deposit before. I've had a couple of ones who i don't know very well not show up, but i don't hear from them again. Good IMO! I don't want clients like that.

But the ones who genuinely forget their appointment will always call in or phone up to apologise personally, some offer to pay half but i have never taken it has these are my good regulars and mistakes happen at times. We have all made one at some point. I've also had two lady's who have bought me gifts in a way to apologise, a bottle of rose wine and another bought me a daffodil plant! :lol:

The whole point to my cancellation policy was to make them aware that i am a business and i don't get paid if a client doesn't show up, and I'm not likely able to fill that appointment when a client calls minutes or an hour before her appointment to cancel either! I tell them if they are poorly the morning of their appointment, i would appreciate it if they could call me first thing has then I'm likely able to pass the appointment onto another client who is waiting to get in with me. My cancellation policy has made my regular clients become more considerate of my business and it has scared the 'messers' off which i didn't want in the first place. :)

I also used this idea of a cancellation policy from another geek, i just reworded the bottom paragraph. :)

Last edited:
I rent a chair, but my cancellation policy is as follows:

All no shows as well as cancellations made within the hour of appt time will be assessed by the following guidelines.

1st time: warning and will be provided with cancellation policy as well as placed in NO SHOW book.

2nd: Automatic 50% charge of cancelled service due upon arrival of next appt before any future services are provided.

I don't tell clients this, but I remove them from my no show book after 6-8 months. Because if they do it once in over 8 months, it's not a problem. Things happen, I'm a mother believe me I understand.

The two strike system helps to warn the client that you noticed the late cancellation or no show without unexpected payment being due. Most repeat offenders don't rebook (or respond) which is one less head ache for me, and people who just have that one fluke always apologize and do better next time. I have yet to need to ask anyone for the 50% charge. But if I did, at least SOME of my lost profit will be compensated.

As far as mobile, you could also include that no-shows will be automatically charge a certain fee upon next appt just enough to cover gasoline usage. Because that os not fair to you to show up and no one is there and you've wasted all that expensive gasoline.

I rent a chair, but my cancellation policy is as follows:

All no shows as well as cancellations made within the hour of appt time will be assessed by the following guidelines.

1st time: warning and will be provided with cancellation policy as well as placed in NO SHOW book.

2nd: Automatic 50% charge of cancelled service due upon arrival of next appt before any future services are provided.

I don't tell clients this, but I remove them from my no show book after 6-8 months. Because if they do it once in over 8 months, it's not a problem. Things happen, I'm a mother believe me I understand.

The two strike system helps to warn the client that you noticed the late cancellation or no show without unexpected payment being due. Most repeat offenders don't rebook (or respond) which is one less head ache for me, and people who just have that one fluke always apologize and do better next time. I have yet to need to ask anyone for the 50% charge. But if I did, at least SOME of my lost profit will be compensated.

As far as mobile, you could also include that no-shows will be automatically charge a certain fee upon next appt just enough to cover gasoline usage. Because that os not fair to you to show up and no one is there and you've wasted all that expensive gasoline.

Gas & time (if you are mobile) because if they just don't show you still need to sit & wait in case they have got held up. Also you can't give that slot to anyone else so it has cost you to sit there

I have worked in a salon and am currently mobile (which I love!) and for every client I send out a reminder text message. It costs 10p but is well worth it and my clients love it. Here is the text I use: 'Hi ........., just a reminder about your nail appt tmrw at 10am with Kats klaws at your house. If unable to keep this appt, text back 'no'.' Thanks, Kat x'

Hope this helps, it has put a stop to cancellations other than for the genuine reasons you listed.

Kat xx

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Karen Minx - I have 'borrowed' and reworded your policy and it is now on the website with a link straight through to my PayPal Business Account.
You don't have to have an account to send money through them and I don't get charged for using the service, unlike a card reader.

I don't have a problem with exsisting clients, it is mainly new ones (with double appointments) which is why I felt the need to put something in place.

This will give you girls a laugh for today:
New client phones yesterday (Saturday) and left a voicemail requiring an appointment on Monday.
I call her back to day to let her know my earliest appointment would be Tuesday/Wednesday.
She then says she needs it for Monday as her due date is today (Sunday).
Not being, funny but if you are due to give birth today I have a feeling I may get a cancellation tomorrow!
I got off the phone thinking it must have been a wind up!

Thanks again for your feedback!

Latest posts

Back