Laws on putting your business details on your car

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovelife

Reaction score
Hi im about to go mobile and have ordered my car sign someone is comming to fit it but i suddenly got this feeling in my stomach do i have to register this some where? Ive just bought the domain name of my web site so i own it. I also need to get insurance as ive not done any mobile yet was working in a salon under their insurance. So before i launch can you advise where to buy insurance for beauty thereapy level three, nail tech and hair extension pls and if it ok to put my email address business name and phone num on my car
? also as im going self employed who do i contact for the money i make for tax ect ive not a clue what im doing and want it all ligit and covered thanks

Hi im about to go mobile and have ordered my car sign someone is comming to fit it but i suddenly got this feeling in my stomach do i have to register this some where? Ive just bought the domain name of my web site so i own it. I also need to get insurance as ive not done any mobile yet was working in a salon under their insurance. So before i launch can you advise where to buy insurance for beauty thereapy level three, nail tech and hair extension pls and if it ok to put my email address business name and phone num on my car
? also as im going self employed who do i contact for the money i make for tax ect ive not a clue what im doing and want it all ligit and covered thanks

Sorry to say but you have gone around this very foolish. Firstly you should have researched the above before starting anything.

There are many insurers, call around and see who is best for what you want (remember price v cover when comparing), you register with hmrc, and you need car insurance level 3 to advertise on it (the most expensive) and to be allowed to take cash as a payment.
You really need to hold back and look at things properly. By the sounds of it you haven't done a business plan or finance forecast? Have you researched your market?

Can I ask why you designed, paid for and paid for fitting of a car wrap before knowing what you were doing? And keep off extensions, if you aren't a hairdresser its my oppinion you should not be doing them. Xoxo

Think you probably need to tell your car insurers too as your premium will probably go up as your car is now used for business purposes.

Call around the big beauty insurers and get quotes, you might be able to get student insurance if you're still training as long as you are not charging full price for services but insurance companies will be able to give you the correct advice! If you're not still training then I think beauty insurance can be quite reasonable.

Also important contact HMRC to register self employed.

You might want to do a search on here too there's loads of information on here about going mobile and self employed :)

Last edited:
Hiya hun, I cant help you but am interested in knowing this too so I will be stalking this thread haha! I think this is such a great way to advertise! Just quickly to say as well sorry that some people on here feel the need to be so rude! No need for it! X

Yes, you will now be in the highest category for insurance if I reacall due to business name on the car making it a possible target. Have a search on the forum - there was a thread on this recently.

thanks all for your reply, everything im wanting to do mobile i was doing in a shop that paid me £2.80 per hr as an apprentice and when i qualified last month she shut the shop after four years of making her lots of money you can see why i have rushed into things. How many beauty therapist ect do things ligit theres gunna be alot out there that is a working mum like me that takes cash in hand and not insured out of eight people i didan updated course with they was all mobile one was insured! Im a working mum who carnt claim a penny because my partner works in a well paid job so even if things are slow i dont make much im making more that i was yesterday at least how im doing it theres no pressure on me anythin i make is a bonus to my family and more importantly im lucky enough to be finacially stable to do what i love. I think there isnt enough information out there for people like me. Ive held back for the past twelve month on making some reall money rather than £2.80 hr what a mug ive been. Ive been driving 15ys and max no claims so hoping that my insurance for my car wont go up too much there should be a guide a list of things you need to do to set up. Thanks all for your replys appreciate it x

Hiya hun, I cant help you but am interested in knowing this too so I will be stalking this thread haha! I think this is such a great way to advertise! Just quickly to say as well sorry that some people on here feel the need to be so rude! No need for it! X

It wasn't rude, it was basics and I don't see the point in sugar coating things.

To the op, there are often people at library's who will go through the start up with you and will be able to put you on free seminars in your area (or check a4e's website if they have any courses).

There are too many threads on here how people have had a client complain etc, and without their insurance they wouldn't have been confident at all so I would say regardless of what people you know are doing get insurance, paying the premium is much better than the possibility of being bankrupted should anything happen.

And I still stick by my first post of dont go into it without researching your area, doing a plan and financial forecast, and check how large
Your catchment area will have to be to make enough money to live on (by live I mean not just survive. My accountant had a fit that mine had a survival amount on it and told me I needed things like £300 per year on alcohol for home, £500 for meals and nights out etc...) xoxo

I don't think anyone was being rude. we are all just trying to help the OP in making sure she does everything correctly so she doesn't get into any trouble. As Tomme said, you can't sugarcoat business.

lovelife, You do need to have all the basics covered before you sort out things like car wrapping. You will need to get a quote from your car insurance company for business use. It shouldn't be too much more. You will definitely need to contact HM Revenue to make them aware of your situation and declare yourself self employed.

There are plenty of beauty insurance companies who will cover you. You just need to do the research. BABTAC, Professional Beauty, salon gold...These are just a few companies that spring to mind.

You will also need a budget plan and work out what you need to spend your money on. What treatments are in demand in your area? If you know this then you can invest your money wisely. You also need to think about what your target market is going to be and how you are going to promote yourselves to them.

Sorry for the long reply! These are a few things I can think of you need to do.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Could not agree more with Tomme, it's also very unprofessional to not have appropriate insurance already in place. But then I suppose that depends on what kind of service you're hoping to offer.
Good luck :)

There is a checklist! This is the one produced by HMRC.

OP- why not register for the HMRC Newly Self Employed course? There are webinars and classroom based sessions. It will explain all the basics.
Www..HMRC.gov.uk/bst

Good luck

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359357561.965136.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359357561.965136.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 139
There is a checklist! This is the one produced by HMRC.

OP- why not register for the HMRC Newly Self Employed course? There are webinars and classroom based sessions. It will explain all the basics.
Www..HMRC.gov.uk/bst

Good luck

Hi there - firstly I completely understand your situation - it must be very frustrating that you just want to go out and do a job you love but feel there is so much to do first!
I think everyone just wants to make sure you are completely covered and would not want to give bad advice to someone who clearly wishes to do well and do things properly.
My first port of call would be to make an appointment with your local business link - they will direct you to the HMRC courses as per above from Beansy, or you can do these courses online on how to register as self-employed.
I would perhaps advise against putting advertisements on your car without registering as self employed (or if you do make sure you contact HMRC asap) - this is literally a phone call to do so its not as long winded or complicated as it sounds, there is a certain timescale in which you have to register but i would say the sooner the better to cover yourself! HMRC are actually really helpful with this and will totally guide you through it!
Business link will also help you with all information that you need in setting up a business i.e. what books to keep, business banking, how to advertise etc - they are really useful and overlooked service that is completely free!! (I dont work for them by the way haha!)
If there is anything else you want a wee hand with or info re self employment, book keeping etc just send me a wee message. Hope this is of some help x

Hi there - firstly I completely understand your situation - it must be very frustrating that you just want to go out and do a job you love but feel there is so much to do first!
I think everyone just wants to make sure you are completely covered and would not want to give bad advice to someone who clearly wishes to do well and do things properly.
My first port of call would be to make an appointment with your local business link - they will direct you to the HMRC courses as per above from Beansy, or you can do these courses online on how to register as self-employed.
I would perhaps advise against putting advertisements on your car without registering as self employed (or if you do make sure you contact HMRC asap) - this is literally a phone call to do so its not as long winded or complicated as it sounds, there is a certain timescale in which you have to register but i would say the sooner the better to cover yourself! HMRC are actually really helpful with this and will totally guide you through it!
Business link will also help you with all information that you need in setting up a business i.e. what books to keep, business banking, how to advertise etc - they are really useful and overlooked service that is completely free!! (I dont work for them by the way haha!)
If there is anything else you want a wee hand with or info re self employment, book keeping etc just send me a wee message. Hope this is of some help x

Agreed, hmrc was super quick, I thought it would be ages, literally;
Name, date of birth, national insurance number, trading name, type of trading (guessing you will be sole trader), and when and how you want to pay your national insurance.
Less than 5 minutes in total. Xoxo

level 3 car insurance is for carrying light goods i.e door to door sales. You only need level 1 business use car insurance. you can ring your insurance and add business use to your policy which doesn't cost to much more. You don't need the insurance for having the car sign written its just that your now using it for business use.

level 3 car insurance is for carrying light goods i.e door to door sales. You only need level 1 business use car insurance. you can ring your insurance and add business use to your policy which doesn't cost to much more. You don't need the insurance for having the car sign written its just that your now using it for business use.
You need business class 3 if you are going mobile as your collecting money.

You need business class 3 if you are going mobile as your collecting money.

When I explained to my insurance company what I did in detail, they only said I needed level 1. I think it must vary between different insurance companies.

I even questioned them when they said level 1 and not 3, but they said no, level 1 covers it.

Haylo_Therapies
My other half was an insurance broker and is still friendly with people in that line of work.

He says:
If you have been given this info over the phone then you need to make a note of the time & date of the call and keep it safe with your policy.
If there is an issue and you need to claim they could well go back on this and you may need to provide details of the date & time so thay can go back and check the call recording.

If you have had this information by email then again print it and keep it with your policy as proof that they told you this.

If you were told this face to face you need to get the same info given either by phone (as calls recorded) or by email so you can prove what was said. You have to have proof that they said this is ok.

Haylo_Therapies
My other half was an insurance broker and is still friendly with people in that line of work.

He says:
If you have been given this info over the phone then you need to make a note of the time & date of the call and keep it safe with your policy.
If there is an issue and you need to claim they could well go back on this and you may need to provide details of the date & time so thay can go back and check the call recording.

If you have had this information by email then again print it and keep it with your policy as proof that they told you this.

If you were told this face to face you need to get the same info given either by phone (as calls recorded) or by email so you can prove what was said. You have to have proof that they said this is ok.

Ok, I will do. I will call them tomorrow.

Thanks ever so much for this reply. :hug:

Hi there, firstly well done for taking the plunge and working for yourself. I have been mobile for over 2 yrs now.
Firstly as others have said register as self employed online with hmrc, you will only provide them with minimal info to register and you will register as a sole trader. Once you have advertised your business and services you only have a certain amount of time to register.
Once you have all your equipment and your insurance you need to think about how you will book clients, price list , website, advertising. You will learn as you go along as you won't think of everything at first!! Also think about how you want clients to pay you , cash cheque etc.

Have a good search on here lots of good info and best of luck to you x x
Nicola

Latest posts

Back