leaflets/flyers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissConfused

Reaction score
hello

i'm wondering if anybody could give me any help and advice. i am 100% certain that leaflets etc. have been talked about till there is nothing else to say about them and i have searched but can't find what i'm looking for as posts about if they are good advertising/what to put on them etc keep coming up and i'm geting nowhere.

my question is...

when it comes to leaflets/flyers (is there a difference?) is it best to go for something that looks high end (a5, double sided, that glossy look and feel etc) and get less as it will cost more or would it be best to have leaflets that are just printed on standard a5 paper with black ink where you can't really use graphics (i would still ask a design company to give me something and they would be printed professionally - not me with paint on the computer haha) - just plain and simple. does that make sense?

because for the amount of money it would cost me to get 20,000 high end leaflets printed out i could get literally 3 times as many more of the standard leaflets. which would mean potentially 3 times as many people would see the leaflet/know i exist. i don't know though if the 3 times as many people potentially knowing i exist is better than less people knowing i exist but seeing the leaflets and thinking that because the leaflets look all professional and fancy that that is what i'm about. does that make sense?

all the treatments i will be offering and listed on the leaflets will spray tanning, lash extensions and waxing inc. intimate waxing (more willl be added in the future but that's it for now really) so i don't need like for eg. a whole side to list my prices. kwim? when people decide to have a treatment all before/aftercare information sheets will all be companys own as flirties marketing is free and i will be buying siennas marketing and waxing i will have some nice before/aftercare sheets printed up unless kim lawless has her own marketing then i again will buy that, so these leaflets will literally just be to make people aware i exist - not given out by me and if clients ask for aprice list whilst having a treatment i would give them a high end looking price list which i will have made. do i make sense that the leaflets would literally just be to get my name out there? :\

my thoughts are to go for something that's high end to give people the impression that - and this is just my idea of how life works that because my leaflets look all fancy and professional that people will see them and think because it's my own business that i must have money, which of course would mean i'd have to be busy with clients and being busy would imply you are good (the treatments speak for themselves of course, but that's before having a treatment) - yes i know i sound crazy, but that's my thoughts anyway. but the thought of 3 times more people knowing me/my business name keeps on kinda pulling at me.

can anybody offer me any advice at all? what's best to do?

x

personally I would go with high end, you could always get a few printed professionally then it might be cheaper to get these colour photocopied or something.

I think in the industry first impressions are really important so by having professional looking leaflets I think you would prob get more custom.

good luck xx

What were you quoted for 20,000 leaflets then?

personally I would go with high end, you could always get a few printed professionally then it might be cheaper to get these colour photocopied or something.

I think in the industry first impressions are really important so by having professional looking leaflets I think you would prob get more custom.

good luck xx

thank you :D yeah, i thought that though if i was to get them high end i'd just get them all done together. there aRe so many things to do and think about isn't there? i really wanna get this whole marketing and website thing done in advance so that when i do feel comfortable that i really am all ready to go.

yeah i agree that first impressions really do matter and i want to come across professional but (and isn't there always one!) i can't help thinking like 60,000 leaflets are better than like 20,000 i'm sure i read on here there is only like a 2% return on leaflets and i really wish i knew what kind of leaflets they were! haha. i wish there was a website that just listed in plain simple table charts that this leaflet gets around this amount of interest and this leaflet gets around this amount of interest. you know what, i think i might just get both styles printed off and send them and if anybody happens to phone just ask where they heard about me and then i'll actually know for myself. i guess reguardless of what marketing you use or how much you spend on marketing at the end of the day your treatments will speak for themselves wont they? i really don't want to make mistakes and mess up .

x

What were you quoted for 20,000 leaflets then?

high end £272 for single side (that's obviously the cheaper paper) not sure if i should go for double i guess it depends what i can fit on/need to fit on and £94 for cheapy ones. i'm not sure what the sites were called as they are up on my other computer and i just wrote the prices on the back of my hand so i could speak to my partner about them. i'm terrible at remembering! x

Howdy

I'm also in the process of getting some leaflets designed & printed...one of the best prices i found was through www.stressfreeprint.co.uk

Hope this helps you compare!

:)

when it comes to leaflets/flyers (is there a difference?)
Flyers are a single piece of paper or card, A5, A4 size, whereas leaflets are 1 or more pages folded ie A4 in half or tri-fold.

For my pricelists, I have 4 A4 size pages folded in half, which the printers told my wasnt a leaflet it was a booklet!

It can get confusing when you look into things :D

I have just had 2,500 A5 double sided colour, 300gsm card flyers, designed, printed & delivered for £107 from Lynsey Wells at Bimbo Design, they only arrived today & look so lovely I am really pleased with them.
It might be worth getting a quote from her too xxx

You should absolutely go quality design high-end and less quantity rather than poor design and more quantity. Especially in this industry.

But it doesnt end there, they can be really top quality- but pointless if you don't use them well- use them cleverly, the response rates to a random leaflet drop are VERY low- so search these message boards for tips on how to use leaflets most effectively.

Put a "call to action" on them as well, do an offer that they have to bring back to redeem- that way you can actually measure response- because (as im sure people are sick of me saying) if you can't measure it, you can't manage it.

For the type of leaflet/flyer/trifold have a mooch around online printers websites and see what type of medium will suit you.

Do you want it as a mass-marketing tool? as a price list? Why not have something to would be multi-purpose that can act as both? You can see lots of examples and maybe "borrow" some ideas here http://www.verveprint.co.uk/beautyprintdesign.htm

We use have used a company called Mint-print Mint Print : Printed Colour Leaflets, NCR Invoices, Business Cards, Flyers Printing, Colour Brochures and I would also not just look at what you get for you 10000 or whatever.

Going by price with printing, if you want top quality is not good,

This company also gives excellent customer service as well as high quality prints, so important in printing.

They are Birmingham based but free deliver with a decent order is the norm.

I recommend them, my friend sorts it so please say Aaronb sent you. (might even give you a deal?)

Su x

thank you for all the help

high end it is then.

i'd def put on some kind of offer with a date as i'd like to get peoples interest and some bookings asap from when i start to be honest, and from what i've read on here and on other sites it seems actually getting the clients in the first place is a long, hard journey so anything to help that journey along. same with asking when/if *fingers crossed* people phone up where they heard about me. when it comes to what i want on to be honest i'm only offering three treatments (though i guess listing waxing treatments could take up a good amount of space) so weather i will need two full sides i don't know, or maybe i should look at a size smaller for two sides. i don't know - there is so much to think about! i love noseying at your site Extensionize, the designs are really lovely! everybody seems very happy with the designs and service you offer so when it comes nearer to the time i think i shall be sending you an email :D

i looked at the stressfree site when i originally started looking and i dunno i just feel so overwhelmed with their site - like everything is right infront of me with all these bright colours it just felt a bit like 'woah' kwim? who are you going with for your designing RichS?

thank you for the link SusanEvian, i will be sure to get in touch with them and ask if they send out samples! :D i'd much rather go off a recomendation (especially from somebody on here) than just my own searches.

x

thank you for all the help

high end it is then.

i'd def put on some kind of offer with a date as i'd like to get peoples interest and some bookings asap from when i start to be honest, and from what i've read on here and on other sites it seems actually getting the clients in the first place is a long, hard journey so anything to help that journey along. same with asking when/if *fingers crossed* people phone up where they heard about me. when it comes to what i want on to be honest i'm only offering three treatments (though i guess listing waxing treatments could take up a good amount of space) so weather i will need two full sides i don't know, or maybe i should look at a size smaller for two sides. i don't know - there is so much to think about! i love noseying at your site Extensionize, the designs are really lovely! everybody seems very happy with the designs and service you offer so when it comes nearer to the time i think i shall be sending you an email :D

i looked at the stressfree site when i originally started looking and i dunno i just feel so overwhelmed with their site - like everything is right infront of me with all these bright colours it just felt a bit like 'woah' kwim? who are you going with for your designing RichS?

thank you for the link SusanEvian, i will be sure to get in touch with them and ask if they send out samples! :D i'd much rather go off a recomendation (especially from somebody on here) than just my own searches.

x

Yes they sent me some nice samples some were really nice and thick 300gsm and I feel that looks really good, as 300gsm is nice and heavy and looks very classy, if you tell them AaronB sent you they will look after you. (the guy we was dealing with is called Ash)

Su x

ash sent me an email asking for my address for a sample of the different papers available! who knew that by doing a few beauty therapy courses that you would suddenly need to have paper feeling skills too? haha i mentioned 'AaronB' too! who is 'AaronB' by the way? lol

thanks again!
x

Carl at Verve Print did mine and they are great. He designed mine so they are optimised for home printing (fortunately I have managed so far to get someone to print them on a work photocopier).

I were you I'd get him to design you a double sided flyer and shop around for the best printer price.

I am going to ask him to redo mine and get them printed professionally because if I do it that way they will be there to hand rather than having to worry about getting them all printed off by a deadline as I have been paying to have some distributed over the last couple of months and actually have had a few clients from it which is great.

I had a real dodgy one through the door recently, all off line, badly printed on yellow paper with black text - I know I will probably be more critical than the average person receiving one because I'm in the industry. If I say so myself (even though I obviously didn't design it and Carl did!) mine looks great and really professional.

I were you I'd get him to design you a double sided flyer and shop around for the best printer price.

That is not really good advice, in the trade or not shopping around for the cheapest printer price is not good, the quality does vary, a lot!

The quality represents you. That is why I used the company I quoted in my above post, not the price.

Su x

With respect- she said "best" not cheapest. That means a combination of quality and price.

With respect- she said "best" not cheapest. That means a combination of quality and price.

I do not agree with your comments, with respect sorry.

Get the best quality, even if it cost you a little more, it reflects on yourself.

Su x

I do not agree with your comments, with respect sorry.

Get the best quality, even if it cost you a little more, it reflects on yourself.

Su x

I'm with Carl on this... leaflets are something where a fairly high proportion are likely to end up in the recycle bin after only a cursory read (assuming they are even read at all)... so a decent quality of colour printing on good quality glossy paper (e.g. 160/170gsm) will be perfectly adequate - so my advice is to go for the cheapest provider that offers this - but which has good recommendations from existing clients.

Remember the law of diminishing returns... spending a lot extra on something above the average market price is not necessarily going to get you an equivalent quantifiable percentage increase in quality for the percentage increase in price.

Thank you Carl you did read my post correctly as some people obviously did not. I did say best not cheapest. Maybe some people need to check the English dictionary to check out definitions! Maybe if they spent less time banging on about their friend's printing company they would have some time left to read the posts correctly instead of aggressively attacking people for offering advice.

Apologies to everybody for having to post this but I feel that some aggressive people on here often prevent others from responding / offering advice for fear of being attacked.

Miss Confused - as I said I had Carl design me some for home printing and they are great. As Ruth points out, with leaflet drops most probably end up in the recycling bin. You are right to get samples from a selection of companies, just do a search on here and you will find a load of companies other geeks have used/recommended.

Thank you Carl you did read my post correctly as some people obviously did not. I did say best not cheapest. Maybe some people need to check the English dictionary to check out definitions! Maybe if they spent less time banging on about their friend's printing company they would have some time left to read the posts correctly instead of aggressively attacking people for offering advice.

Apologies to everybody for having to post this but I feel that some aggressive people on here often prevent others from responding / offering advice for fear of being attacked.

Miss Confused - as I said I had Carl design me some for home printing and they are great. As Ruth points out, with leaflet drops most probably end up in the recycling bin. You are right to get samples from a selection of companies, just do a search on here and you will find a load of companies other geeks have used/recommended.

you say "shop around for the best printer price"

I say go for the best quality....................

strange!

you say "shop around for the best printer price"

I say go for the best quality....................

strange!

I say go for the optimum combination of quality and price. As in the maximum quality for the minimum price. So, by sacrificing a small amount of quality relative to the "best" quality of printer, you may save yourself a much greater proportion of money relative to the small decrease in quality, yet while still providing a very good quality of print that is more than adequate for leaflets - which as I said before tend to have a short lifespan and many end up being recycled.

Of course I'd be the last person on the planet to recommend an overly cheap printer who uses inferior quality paper giving a poor quality of print and with little or no attention to detail (you don't want the print on your leaflets to end up wonky or to have bits chopped off the text at the edges)...

Latest posts

Back