Learning to do Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophiegees

Reaction score
Well yesterday I completed my whole set of shellac colours when 18 arrived from sweetsquared to add to the 6 I already had. Now I just have to learn to apply it properly!

I have to say I have spent the whole afternoon reading the whole 52 pages of posts on the shellac group and would recommend anyone new to shellac to do the same. I have learnt so much. I started a week ago with shellac and have done around 12 practice sets on friends. I have encountered problems but now have some ideas to try.

One thing I will mention is the thumbs! They are wrinkling at the side closest to the base of the lamp. Eg after applying the first colour coat if I wipe the wrinkles they just come off leaving just the base coat (well I assume the base coat is still there).

So I am thinking - applying too thick and as the thumb is at an angle the shellac is running down to the bottom of the thumb and its not curing. So will try applying thinner.

Also did think that because of the angle of the thumb that it was not accessing any of the uv light so wasnt curing. So in later sets I made sure the fingers were all stretched out. But it still happened.

I had a girl yesterday and she had been to a salon and had shellac. She said that they cured 4 fingers at a time, and then the 2 thumbs together. So I tried this. This seemed to really work - but I am sure you guys dont do this - and it takes so much longer.

My plan for the next time is to make sure the scrub fresh has evaporated properly, make sure the base coat is on fully - ie right to the edges, make sure the coats are thinner - ie working on getting just the right amount on my brush to cover the nail in as few strokes as possible, but not thick. Also perhaps make sure their thumb is raised as opposed to laying on the bottom of the lamp.

I also have jagged sides - but hopefully by doing the above it will solve that.

If anyone has any thoughts on my thumb issues I would be grateful for your advice. Sorry to have written a novel.....

xx

Hi Sophie,

The CND UV Lamp is set up perfectly to cure the thumbs and I have never once had an issue with product 'running' or wrinkling so I am going to conclude that you are using way too much Shellac.

There is a happy medium between 'skinny' application and just a nice coverage. I assume you have read that the first coat coverage can with some colours look streaky .. don't worry about that .. the 2nd coat will ALWAYS cover nice and even.

Don't over think it. Shellac goes on like polish. If your polish skills aren't the best then take a class with Shellac and all your issues will disappear.

The lamp will cure all 5 fingers perfectly. Clients just have to have their hand in a realxed position within the lamp und as far in as they can go until theyu feel the 'bumps'.

Hello Geeg

Thanks for your help. Yes I think one of my main problems is getting the shellac thickness right - and I am going to really concentrate on that. Thinking back I think I either applied to too thin or too thick. When I applied it too thin (not just streaky - more non existent on the edges) I would reload the brush and hence it would end up being too thick - and this happened more on the thumbs as its the largest nail.

The last few I did I got my head around the streakiness and ignored it. I have been purposely practicing on the streaky ones as I am finding them the hardest. (I am finding masquerade quite difficult)

Yes a one to one with my local trainer I am thinking. I did the shellac course last month but it was probably a bit too early as I couldnt even polish properly then!

Thank you again for your help xx

Latest posts

Back