Legal requirements for sterilization in beauty salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pro-Beauty

Reaction score
what is legally required forms of sterilisation of tweezers, scissors, and cuticle nippers in a beauty salon?

And what do you use/recommend without spending too much?

Steriliztion is with an autoclave, there is no cheap alternative .....
Sanitisation is another matter ....

Google the difference

I sanitise surfaces and skin but am wondering what is required for sterilization of tools? So only an autoclave is recommend for the type of tools I mentioned?

forgot to say im in the UK

I sanitise surfaces and skin but am wondering what is required for sterilization of tools? So only an autoclave is recommend for the type of tools I mentioned?

No, barbicide is fine, wash your instruments and then soak in barbicide or whatever other solution you choose. There's lots on the market for this purpose. Mundo etc.

There's also uv sterilisers.

Take care to follow manufacturers instructions though. They all vary.

No, barbicide is fine, wash your instruments and then soak in barbicide or whatever other solution you choose. There's lots on the market for this purpose. Mundo etc.

There's also uv sterilisers.

Take care to follow manufacturers instructions though. They all vary.

I use Barbicide now but just assumed this wasn't enough for small metal tools?

I use Barbicide now but just assumed this wasn't enough for small metal tools?

It won't sterilise your instruments but it is enough unless you break the skin. That's when you will need a uv cabinet or autoclave.

I only break the skin with disposables for electrolysis & ear piercing.

Thanks

It all depends on what you're doing with your small metal tools - unless you're piercing the skin, or they have contact with blood then they do not need to be sterilised, sanitation followed by disinfection is enough.

In the UK, unless you are working in central London, salons have no 'legal' requirements governing their practices beyond their insurance requirements.

It would be worth your while reading the following link to clarify the difference between sanitation, disinfection and sterilisation.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/182520-science-topic-sanitation-salon.html

I only break the skin with disposables for electrolysis & ear piercing.

Thanks

Well nothing you use for either of those would need sterilising because you don't re use anything that's been in contact with bloods as you've mentioned.

Thank you all :biggrin:

Barbicide is used in hospitals to disinfect, if its good enough for medical reasons its good enough for us. I personally love the simplest and cheapest of the lot, scalding water. Ally combs get run under scalding water after being taken out of barbicide. But don't use anything that could contact blood or bodily fluids. I just use these methods to kill anything that may have got in contact (think nits) xoxo

Good old hot soapy water, dry, then mundo is how I do it. :biggrin:

Thanks for your advice I have Health & Safety coming out soon i'll let you know what they say (they're coming out because I have an ear pierce and electrolysis licence)

Barbicide is used in hospitals to disinfect, if its good enough for medical reasons its good enough for us. I personally love the simplest and cheapest of the lot, scalding water. Ally combs get run under scalding water after being taken out of barbicide. But don't use anything that could contact blood or bodily fluids. I just use these methods to kill anything that may have got in contact (think nits) xoxo

Mundo is also hospital graded and a modern formulation.

Barbicide has been around for years anad years.

I love the look and prettiness of mundo products for my salon, and also the fact I can be sure every product I use of theirs is medical grade!

Thanks for your advice I have Health & Safety coming out soon i'll let you know what they say (they're coming out because I have an ear pierce and electrolysis licence)
Have you thought of consulting Habia?

Have you thought of consulting Habia?

No i havn't

Health & safety came out today and were very happy with the set up and methods used.

Thanks all for help & advise :biggrin:

I keep tools in barbicide, use bleach to clean work surfaces and use a baby bottle sterilising fluid on tools and facial sponges, mask brushes etc (after giving them a good wash and scalding water).xx

I keep tools in barbicide, use bleach to clean work surfaces and use a baby bottle sterilising fluid on tools and facial sponges, mask brushes etc (after giving them a good wash and scalding water).xx

Never thought of that but would a babies bottle steriliser be enough as it sterilises every thing for babies

Glass bead steriliser is cheaper alternative for sterilisation.

Latest posts

Back