Lets have a bit more thought!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, some people think that techs shouldn't comment on nails that are put in these magazines... no they didn't ask for critique but they are sure gonna get it aren't they!
There are (as per normal) ways of going about things... not once on that thread did anyone comment on how the nails could have been improved, the only things mentioned were the negatives...

In my personal opinion it comes down to a bit of forethought, think before speaking, make sure professionalism plays a major part and as I said earlier on today in that thread who's to know if any of our clients are guests on this site seeing the things we write and having second thoughts of having us as their technician because of some of the unprofessional remarks made and the unprofessional attitudes.

Just to add as someone mentioned OUR CLIENTS - 4 of mine today came in today & made their own critiques having seen the magazine! I will not post their comments here as I would hate to be considered unprofessional, I will leave that to your imagination!!!!!

There are (as per normal) ways of going about things... not once on that thread did anyone comment on how the nails could have been improved, the only things mentioned were the negatives...

In my personal opinion it comes down to a bit of forethought, think before speaking, make sure professionalism plays a major part and as I said earlier on today in that thread who's to know if any of our clients are guests on this site seeing the things we write and having second thoughts of having us as their technician because of some of the unprofessional remarks made and the unprofessional attitudes.

Here here - why not give constructive critiscism? I can't remember ever reading on here in the critique section, or in the gallery - "OMG those are crap" and there have been pics of nails a hell of a lot worse than those on Ms Catona.

Whether they are in a mag or not I think our professionalism can rise above crass and unkind comments like that.

Here here - why not give constructive critiscism? I can't remember ever reading on here in the critique section, or in the gallery - "OMG those are crap" and there have been pics of nails a hell of a lot worse than those on Ms Catona.

Whether they are in a mag or not I think our professionalism can rise above crass and unkind comments like that.

Agree 100% Sassy & Sandi. I would never say in the critiques section or have seen said any of what was said about these nails. There is a world of difference between giving professional criticism and just ripping to bits.

Ordinarily, I would agree that it's uncharitable of us to critique negatively about a set of nails upon which we were not invited to critique.

HOWEVER, these were on the cover of a magazine.
If one is going to do the nails of a public persona, one should expect that people will be checking out the details and that they are inviting themselves to be critiqued.
If you don't want to leave yourself open to such critiques, then don't put your work out there for all to see.

Having said that, some things/posts could have been thought out a bit more before opinions were shared.
While this isn't a member of geek (as far as we know), we should still apply geek rules when commenting on this picture.
And show a certain amount of respect for the technician of whom we know nothing.

We should comment in the same manner as we would for a member seeking CONSTRUCTIVE critiques, respectfully.

I do not think we should 'not' post such pictures and critique them. It's a great learning tool. Again, if that technician did not wish to invite our opinions, then he/she should not do enhancements for those in the public eye. OR on anyone for that matter.

BUT, we should do so RESPECTFULLY and COURTEOUSLY and CONSTRUCTIVELY.

:hug:

I agree Victoria you are spot on - if you do nails that you know are going to end up on the cover of a mag you are almost certain to get comments on them - so is her hair, her dres, her shoes etc

I wouldnt have done kerrys wedding nails knowing full well the whole world and his wife would comment on them - the pressure one that 'tech' if there was on must have been immense. xx

Also imagine if you are a newbie coming to this site and see people ripping this person's nails to bits, how would they feel about us ... and would they ever have the confidence to post a picture for critique, when comments like they're crap appear to be acceptable by some? It's not what you say it's how you say it!

Yes I agree that they are going to get it all I'm saying is we have no idea who did those nails. It might be one of us on an off day whose being debated without asking to be

Well, I'm going to be a bit controversial here.

I agree, those nails were of a poor standard. If someone came on here and asked us to critique those nails, I would hope that we would all give our honest opinions.

There is no point saying "Ooh, they are really nice" when they are pants because how will you ever learn if people keep lying to you, telling you that your work is wonderful when it isn't !

Yes, the person who did those nails didn't ask us for our opinion, and yes, we don't know the circumstances of how those nails were produced. BUT, if that person by some miracle came across this site and read our comments, perhaps he or she should take a long, hard look at their work and consider our opinions.

If that was me, I might feel shocked that someone didn't think my work was wonderful, but I would also think "These are professional nail techs on here that know what they are talking about and not just some bored, nasty housewife's having a go".

If they then fancied coming on here defending their work, please do, perhaps you can explain why you did what you did.

I'm not saying this is a free for all to start slagging every thing that moves off without valid reason etc or just being plain nasty. BUT I do think we are becoming a little OTT when it comes to being "PC" and not wanting to hurt peoples feelings.

We are all in the industry to learn and to strive for perfection. Seeing nails like that also shows us clearly how not to do nails, a valuable resource I think.

I don't' think anyone was particularly being nasty, people just gave their honest opinion.

Marlise

If that was me, I might feel shocked that someone didn't think my work was wonderful, but I would also think "These are professional nail techs on here that know what they are talking about and not just some bored, nasty housewife's having a go".
Nothing constructive was said about those nails, not once did any of the 'critiquing' mention how those nails could have been improved, comments such as 'crap' won't help anybody improve.

I'm not saying this is a free for all to start slagging every thing that moves off without valid reason etc or just being plain nasty. BUT I do think we are becoming a little OTT when it comes to being "PC" and not wanting to hurt peoples feelings.
It's not about being careful with not wanting to hurt someone's feelings, it's about being professional with a professional attitude, if being professional comes under the heading of being OTT and/or PC then so be it.
Ask yourselves this... would you look at a new clients nails and say things like "they're crap"?
No you wouldn't, why not? Because it isn't professional or ethical, the same applies here!

If they are in Nail Critique, we have a right to comment on the nails with constructive criticism.

In this case that we are talking about, we don't know all the facts of whether they we done by Kerry herself, a Friend or a nail technician. The only thing I can add here is:

If in doubt say nowt.

Ask yourselves this... would you look at a new clients nails and say things like "they're crap"?
No you wouldn't, why not? Because it isn't professional or ethical, the same applies here!

OK, perhaps I didn't use the correct wording.

No, I wouldn't use the word crap, but if I client / friend / family etc. asked my opinion on nail work done on them, I would give my honest, professional opinion - whether that be positive or negative.

If it was negative, I would point out why and explain why I thought that. No, as a rule I don't walk around slating peoples work, giving my opinion if it was asked for or not, but to say something is great when it isn't, isn't helping anyone.

I also feel by giving your professional opinion, we are also educating our clients etc. If you look at NSS nails, we tell our clients why we don't recommend them - poor hygiene, poor prep, damage to nail plate etc etc. Are we slating the work of the NSS then or are we giving our professional opinion ?

I must admit, I didn't read the whole Kerry K. thread because I got bored with it after page 1, but they were publicised for the whole world to see.

If I was the nail tech, I sure as hell would make sure that I produced spot on nails because I know pictures would be published for the whole world to see.

If the nails K.K has on are the best work her tech can produce, well sorry, I really think she needs to find herself another one.

I agree that constructive criticism needs to be given, but once again, if I produced those nails and read that quite a few people thought they were crap, I would get the hint and ask why ?

I'm not being catty or nasty about it, but lets face it, those nails were not of a professional standard.

Marlise

OK, perhaps I didn't use the correct wording.

No, I wouldn't use the word crap, but if I client / friend / family etc. asked my opinion on nail work done on them, I would give my honest, professional opinion - whether that be positive or negative.

If it was negative, I would point out why and explain why I thought that. No, as a rule I don't walk around slating peoples work, giving my opinion if it was asked for or not, but to say something is great when it isn't, isn't helping anyone.

I also feel by giving your professional opinion, we are also educating our clients etc. If you look at NSS nails, we tell our clients why we don't recommend them - poor hygiene, poor prep, damage to nail plate etc etc. Are we slating the work of the NSS then or are we giving our professional opinion ?

I must admit, I didn't read the whole Kerry K. thread because I got bored with it after page 1, but they were publicised for the whole world to see.

If I was the nail tech, I sure as hell would make sure that I produced spot on nails because I know pictures would be published for the whole world to see.

If the nails K.K has on are the best work her tech can produce, well sorry, I really think she needs to find herself another one.

I agree that constructive criticism needs to be given, but once again, if I produced those nails and read that quite a few people thought they were crap, I would get the hint and ask why ?

I'm not being catty or nasty about it, but lets face it, those nails were not of a professional standard.

Marlise

You aren't being nasty Marlise they weren't of a professional standard, however comments like they're crap aren't professional comments. A professional would have pointed out the shortfalls and how they could have been improved, no one that I saw pointed out that what you can see of the smile line looks quite crisp. It wasn't professional comment which we all encourage on here, it was just rubbishing. Anyone can do that without being educated.

everyone knows how those nails could have been improved, all they did was make her hands cheap, I can't believe another thread has been started about an issue thats still in discussion (are we that desperate for new threads) ?

Latest posts

Back