Level of Geekness as opposed to Reps

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, I was just having a little look through the last few days threads and it just made me think..... yes I do this on occasion. LOL

Anyway when I first joined I used to really take comments from Master or Uber Geeks on board as I assumed that they must be very experienced etc etc.

Now there seems to be a lot of Master and Uber Geeks who have not been members for a long time at all of which some are still in training with no or hardly any work experience within their chosen industries, posting all day long increasing their " Geekness":smack:

I love the fact that we are such a varied bunch and that we all have such diverse opinions and experiences which are an invaluable resource.

I just want to remind people to have a look at the reputation of the Geek as well, when getting advice from Geeks. A good rep usually means that the Geek offering adice has established experience and offers good advice. When I joined I did not realise that there was rep button so did not look for it.

I am defenitley not saying that advice from new Geeks is not worth having, There are many fantastic professionals out there that don't have the time to come on here often and are still low on the Geek level but know more than a lot of us put together, but I would hope that their rep would show that.

What do you think, am I being elitist or offering sensible advice here?
Awaiting your replies with a pencil up my nose saying wibble!

Tell me straight, I can take it :Scared:

I do understand what you're getting at. Although everyone's responses are valuable, someone who is newly qualified, or still in training with very little practical experience could have thousands of posts and a high 'status' because they spend all their time posting in Chit Chat.

Oftentimes, you want a response from a Geek thats posted a lot, as it indicates that they have experience and long term knowledge x

I can see your point, but you can't just disregard what someone says because they have no rep? I don't really look at it just read the comments and decide for myself x

I've jus been on the online version and can't find these "reps".
I wouldn't dismiss new geeks or anyone newly qualified/ training as methods change regularly, and so the new ways that we were never shown may be better.

I have worked with someone who trained over 40 years ago, and that experience was probably the most beneficial I have had. We both bounced old and new ideas off each other and found that sometimes the old way worked best where as other times my newer methods did.

Xoxo

Thanks Fee who is holding the world to ransom for 1 MEEEELLION DOLLARS...
Exactly....

When I joined it was great getting responses from truly experienced professionals, they were all a great help to me and helped shape my career and made some of my choices easier. It is easy to assume that someone who has posted 1576 times would know what they are talking about but clearly this is not always the case. hehehe ( that is me by the way)

I do sometimes wonder how all these geeks post so much while running a business - she says, posting lots and running a business. I certainly think that I have excellent knowledge and experience in certain areas (mainly skincare) that I am relaly keen to impart, and have also learnt shedloads from eyelash geeks - experienced or not, but I know what you mean. I'm often surprised that some geeky geeks don't actually seem to have that much experience, but I too read everything!!!

I can see your point, but you can't just disregard what someone says because they have no rep? I don't really look at it just read the comments and decide for myself x

I am defenitley not saying that advice from new Geeks is not worth having, There are many fantastic professionals out there that don't have the time to come on here often and are still low on the Geek level but know more than a lot of us put together, but I would hope that their rep would show that.

What do you think, am I being elitist or offering sensible advice here?
Awaiting your replies with a pencil up my nose saying wibble!

Tell me straight, I can take it :Scared:

As already said, but you are right we should decide for ourselves, only some people can't decide and can be swayed by advice given on here .

Last edited by a moderator:
I do sometimes wonder how all these geeks post so much while running a business - she says, posting lots and running a business. I certainly think that I have excellent knowledge and experience in certain areas (mainly skincare) that I am relaly keen to impart, and have also learnt shedloads from eyelash geeks - experienced or not, but I know what you mean. I'm often surprised that some geeky geeks don't actually seem to have that much experience, but I too read everything!!!

I often wonder the same thing Ha Ha

Just asking Geeks to read all of my first post before replying.This is not a thread to make new Geeks seem any less valuable to our community. We were all new once !

Tomme you are right, I even showed my Tutor things she did not know about and asked many questions that she had to research for answers. ( should have realised then that it was not a good thing)

New blood keeps us vibrant and we are all here to learn from each other, but we need to build up experience to be able to make informed decisions and that is what I love about SG, having experienced people willing to offer an insight to the industry and hopefuly make our decisions that bit easier for us to make

Well I only use the app on my phone so can not see any of that stuff so means nothing to me anyway and im sure im not alone :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

Well I only use the app on my phone so can not see any of that stuff so means nothing to me anyway and im sure im not alone :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

mmmmmmm.... well thats you sorted then:lol:

Where do I find rep though? Even online versions I can't find it lol xoxo

in the top right of a post you'll see a green box and a red box, if you want to add to the rep of the geek that has posted you click on the green box xxx

Exercise me for been dumb, but is (rep) short for reputation? And what is this on SG?

I always take advice from anybody who has it on something that I'm stuck or need help on, wether they are new or been in the industry for a while. But I definitely see where you are coming from :)
X

Exercise me for been dumb, but is (rep) short for reputation? And what is this on SG?

I always take advice from anybody who has it on something that I'm stuck or need help on, wether they are new or been in the industry for a while. But I definitely see where you are coming from :)
X

Yes it is ;-) xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

i understand what you are saying Tantastic, i'm a fairly new geek and am still in training but my geek points say massively geeky ( mmm maybe massively geeky about Kit Kats), i do post a fair wee bit, usually when i can't sleep, its not that often that i can offer advice that a more experienced geek can but once in a blue moon it happens! i love the fact that all levels can bring something to the table, our industries are ever evolving so its great that we can pick up tips whether we are still training or more experienced or even just kick around some thoughts or ideas with like minded passionate people. i for one really appreciate the fact that people with years of experience share their knowledge willing and i always take heed of any advice i receive , i have learnt so much and been inspired by so many geeks on here.hopefully one day i can become one of them xxx
p.s.Tanfastic, i love your avatar, my friend has a tattoo on his bumcheek thats very similiar...one sangria too many can be a terrible thing lol

i understand what you are saying Tantastic, i'm a fairly new geek and am still in training but my geek points say massively geeky ( mmm maybe massively geeky about Kit Kats), i do post a fair wee bit, usually when i can't sleep, its not that often that i can offer advice that a more experienced geek can but once in a blue moon it happens! i love the fact that all levels can bring something to the table, our industries are ever evolving so its great that we can pick up tips whether we are still training or more experienced or even just kick around some thoughts or ideas with like minded passionate people. i for one really appreciate the fact that people with years of experience share their knowledge willing and i always take heed of any advice i receive , i have learnt so much and been inspired by so many geeks on here.hopefully one day i can become one of them xxx
p.s.Tanfastic, i love your avatar, my friend has a tattoo on his bumcheek thats very similiar...one sangria too many can be a terrible thing lol

You are so right, we all learn from each other, I have picked up loads of info and " recycled" it along the way. Often you can't even remember where you heard it but if you know it is from SG you can be pretty sure that it is good advice.

i like that phrase 'recycle'...hope you don't mind if i recycle it :wink2:

Where do I find rep though? Even online versions I can't find it lol xoxo

When you are online using a browser then if you click on settings on the top right of your screen exit to your user name then you will go to your Rep points....you will see the last 5 people that gave you rep and their comments.

If you want to know the top Rep Geeks, then on the toolbar click on Other, then members list, where you will find a full list of members....but then click on the word Reputation and the members will be displayed in order of most Rep.

i like that phrase 'recycle'...hope you don't mind if i recycle it :wink2:

Love your Avatar too, saw it a while back on FB with a caption along the lines of " Girl, I got my nails done"

Latest posts

Back