lifting on gel problems/refunded

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bell

Reaction score
i had a clinet nearly 2 weeks ago she called this afternoon and said her nails had lifeted really badle some had chipped ect.. so i told her i would fixed them for free or i would re fund her the money so she came over bout 1 hour later as me lasy bones was till in pjs lol:biggrin:
when she casme she had cracks on the free edge but underneath which i thought that wasfrom pressure and cracks across the apex whixh i assume was my fault not built up enough but a small breakage on the thumb and the pointed finger looked like it had shatterd on 1 side it was only a few nails that had lifeted all the others were fine but she said she was dissapointed with them so i explained to her that there are many reasons for lifing plus she has only skin i gave her after care advice i offered to do them again but she said she didnt have the time and wanted her money back so i gace it back to her then said that if she dosent want them on they would have to be buffed off as u cant soak them off i told her i could do this or she would have to go to a salon and she didnt want them off where did i go wrong??? or did she just want them done for free... i told her i also do manicure pedis and gel toes and she was nice enough bout it all but when she i have been feeling so bad i paid so much money to become a nail tech and i feel like a failure i need more confidence just dont know what to do or where to go from now i feel like i have wasted my money thanks all

dont let it knock your confidence ,bell. when you have just been trained you still have a very long way to go. training is just the beginning of your learning, the real learning comes with time and experience, plenty of it. i wouldnt have offered her money back personally, at two weeks she should have been due for her rebalance which at this time any problems could have been resolved without her needing to phone and complain(make sure you pre book your clients) some clients will take advantage of you, if you let them,particularly when you arent experienced. are they aware that you are fresh from training? are you offering a discounted price for that reason? if so dont allow any client to make you feel a failure, as you have informed them of your experience. you have only wasted your money if you give up. hang in there and make sure you learn something from every mistake. if you dont have the confidence, fake it till you do! :wink2:

It's so easy to have your confidence knocked by this sort of experience. Just remember that at the moment you are out of your comfort zone. Do you drive? Do you remember even when you passed your test you felt nervous going it alone for the first few months? Well this is just the same.

Firstly NEVER offer a refund or freebies until you have actually SEEN the nails. I have had people say their nails are lifting realy badly, got there and one nail had a tiny bit of lifting.

Secondly, make sure you give good sound aftercare advice. I always rebook my new clients for an infill 2 weeks after their first one. The reason I do this is because they are more likely to have problems in the first few weeks as they get used to using their hands with nails on the end, and I tell them this.

Thirdly, as Melody Jayne said, she was due her infills after 2 weeks not a freebie sort out.

Fourthly, if she wanted a refund then I would have removed the product from her nails. There's no way she's going to walk around smug with my freebie work on her hands. :irked:

Fifthly - CHIN UP HUN! It's a steep learning curve you are on. Next time you will be better prepared for this type of situation and it won't happen again. :hug:

Sorry forgot to say. try and eliminate any lifting you are getting. Read all the fab tutorials or purchase Nailclass from the geekmart. Poor prep is one (but not the only) of the main reasons for lifting.

honey, i would say this is probably her fault not yours. if the problems were down to your bad workmanship she would have been back within a couple of days.. NOT two weeks later. sounds to me like she's been heavy handed with them and blamed you in order to get a free rebalance. (did she know you were new to it by any chance?... client's pick up on lack of confidence and start blaming you for their mistakes). Also, if they were that bad why didn't she want them removed?? probably because they were not that bad really. Like Sassy says, NEVER give a refund without insisting they are removed (give the old "insurance purposes" excuse if you want). if you bought a skirt from a shop and it was faulty, they wouldn't give you your money back without taking the skirt off you! don't let people walk around with your free work!

chin up hun. you will soon learn to tell the difference between the genuine complaint cases and when clients are pulling a fast one.

thanks so much i have been asking around and got the same advice as u have all given that will be my first freebie and my last not doing that again and i didnt even thinnk if they were that bad why didnt she want them off she wanted her money back or a freebie well learnt that lesson wont be going there any way soon i did say i was just starting out thats why i was only charging aud 30 normally i have seen full sets from 70 but my mum always says u learn by ur mistakes and when u do u wont make them again ... i tryed to re book her for a re balance but she said she didnt want to book???? but thanks for ur help:lol:

Hi Bell
Thats an awful experience, but dont worry from the sounds of it I think it was her, I have had lifting and called within a couple of days to have them fixed not a couple of weeks. Dont offer refunds so freely it was your time and effort, I would offer maybe a rebalance for free maybe the first time to fix but not a freebie full set. If she doesnt accept the rebalance then that is up to her. Dont let it shake your confidence and up your price a bit more too, $30 is way too cheap!
xxxxx:Love:

Dont go too cheap...clients never respect their nails if they are cheap.

Like others have said...she was due for her rebalance, so i would have told her that and told her to book in for her rebalance and maybe knocked a couple of quid off in the interests of good customer service but I would not have offered her money back.

Dont let it knock your confidence....I had similar probs a few weeks back and it really shook me to the point i didnt want to open the salon again!!
But I got advice from the geeks here and got my confidence back and now I am happy again!! :biggrin:

Hold your head high :Love:

Glad you have learnt your lesson. If she'd rang after a day or two with problems that's one thing but to ring you two weeks later!!!!! What a cheek!!!! Does she expect them to last for ever without any matinence???? Every teacher I've ever had has always said NEVER GIVE REFUNDS if you think something has gone wrong & your at fault offer to fix it. If they don't want it fixed that's their problem. She paid for service you gave that service. I think the fact that she wouldn't book in another appointment says she had no intension of coming back.
I always book maitenance 2 weeks after a new set. Some people want to wait and see how long they go. But I always say they need to come back after 2 weeks at least the first few times. And if they have any probs before that to ring me.

Latest posts

Back