Long Hair over 40, On or Off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simba44

Reaction score
I'm 38 5ft petite, The reason why I'm telling you of height and stature is I think this is going to have an impact on if I should go for a soft and shorter cut at 40 or simply try to carry off the Kylie locks. Jackie Kennedy once said when you hit 40 a woman should have a cut that is short. I mean look at Goldie Hawn she's 60 and looks stunning she still has long hair. Do you think having long hair past 40 is more acceptable nowadays. My hair is 2inches past my shoulder and being short I'm thinking of going for a shorter style as I'm finding my longer hair is making me look even shorter. What do you think? Or am I getting those pre 40 jitters. All what I've taught over the years and now I look at myself and have come to a FULLSTOP.

On!!!!!!!!!!!!
Age doesnt matter anymore, aslong as it looks stylish and not like mortisha, Your a hair stylist you can have whatever you like :)
A lady I use to work with is well into her 50's and still has her long long long blonde hair, its beautiful and she does not look her age.
Maybe im biased, I love long hair!
What shorter look were you going for Simba?
xoxox

I think it's fine as long as it's well groomed. Long grey hair is vile though.

You saying about long grey hair, I had a very very large lady come in the other day, she could hardly walk bless her. She then pulled out her pocket a piece of paper and under her wheezing smoky breath she went on to say I want to have hair like this . A picture of Halle Berry walking on the beach scene in a tiny bikini. I replied I wanna look and have hair like hers too but it ain't gonna happen. What i couldn't get over she was a serious and straight faced about looking like the picture. Some people eh!

I will be keeping my long hair forever, andI can't help but feel that some of the people who ask me when I am going to cut it are a teeny bit jealous of it. Long haired ladies never ask me this question!

Jacqui xx

You should have told her it was a pair of scissors, not a magic wand!

On! My mum is 47 and has gorgeous long hair! Well looked after so it looks great! She had short hair about 10 years ago and it aged her, she looks younger now! X

On On On On.

I however unlike most like long grey/white hair as long as it is a nice texture and in excellent condition!!!!

On On On On.

I however unlike most like long grey/white hair as long as it is a nice texture and in excellent condition!!!!

I think Grey/White hair can look very elegant providing it is kept well groomed and up in an 'Up Do'
I say keep it long! You're not old yet! However if it makes you FEEL older and uncomfortable then it might be time for the chop!!
I think it's about how you dress too.. There is nothing worse than seeing teenage clothes and long hair from the back, only for the lady to turn round and be wizened!!!!

I think it's up to the individual and if it is styled, kept clean and tidy then why not. I would love long hair, it's sits just on my shoulders and I just can't get it beyond this length as it looks tatty, so I keep it at this length. However, having a round face I hate short hair on me, even though hubby prefers it. That is odd, I thought most men liked long hair :irked:.

Anyway I suppose this is now going to sound like mutton dressed as lamb (which I'm not). I have a bash to go to this weekend and have just ordered clip in extensions just to give me that extra length and have it curled, which suits my face. I am certainly over the age of 40 :rolleyes:

Watch this space, I bet I chicken out.....

you know guys i really don't get this 'over 40' thing atall. i suppose its all according to whether you are a young forty or 40 forty if you know what i mean. I am 40 this year and the thought of no longer having my 20 inch extensions hasn't even crossed my mind! as someone quite rightly said some long wirey hair can be ever so ageing, but on the whole i really dont think 40 is time to go for the chop or even chuck out half of your wardrobe either as a matter of fact. x

you know guys i really don't get this 'over 40' thing atall. i suppose its all according to whether you are a young forty or 40 forty if you know what i mean. I am 40 this year and the thought of no longer having my 20 inch extensions hasn't even crossed my mind! as someone quite rightly said some long wirey hair can be ever so ageing, but on the whole i really dont think 40 is time to go for the chop or even chuck out half of your wardrobe either as a matter of fact. x

My neighbour is tall slim and has long peroxide blonde hair and I gotta say she looks pretty good with alot of help from the Botox and fillers however she's starting to look like mutton now and I suppose I don't want people to see me in that way. Also I think media has alot to do with this debate. I watched Gok the other night and he said 40 locks off. Then I guess it got my mind thinking. I'm gonna keep my long locks now all you geeks have reassured. :)

ON ON ON......I'm 36 & i have long hair, its been long since i was about 18! I had it layered abit when i got into my 30s to give it some shape & i have no intention of cutting it when i hit 40!!!x

Well I didn't chicken out and have to say I loved my long hair, even if it was for one night. I had so many compliments and felt a million dollars, someone even said, my god what have you done you look so young. I'm hoping I don't across as vain lol. The colour match was perfect. So I say, keep it long if your happy.

Sent from my HTC Desire

You saying about long grey hair, I had a very very large lady come in the other day, she could hardly walk bless her. She then pulled out her pocket a piece of paper and under her wheezing smoky breath she went on to say I want to have hair like this . A picture of Halle Berry walking on the beach scene in a tiny bikini. I replied I wanna look and have hair like hers too but it ain't gonna happen. What i couldn't get over she was a serious and straight faced about looking like the picture. Some people eh!

haha that story has brightened my day hehehehehe

ON

As long as it suits the face shape, is taken care of and styled.

As for long grey hair...
why not???? Same as above. Why should the colour matter?
My grandmother had LOVELY snow-white hair, just a tad past her shoulders. She would roll it at night and it would fall in soft waves. It was very pretty.

Pink, purple, black, auburn, grey, blonde: as long as it's healthy, suits the face and is well groomed, I really do NOT care how old the person is OR what colour it is.

Now... grey or white hair that's yellowish (smoke stained), that's a whole other kettle of fish whether it's long OR short!

ON

As long as it suits the face shape, is taken care of and styled.

As for long grey hair...
why not???? Same as above. Why should the colour matter?
My grandmother had LOVELY snow-white hair, just a tad past her shoulders. She would roll it at night and it would fall in soft waves. It was very pretty.

Pink, purple, black, auburn, grey, blonde: as long as it's healthy, suits the face and is well groomed, I really do NOT care how old the person is OR what colour it is.

Now... grey or white hair that's yellowish (smoke stained), that's a whole other kettle of fish whether it's long OR short!

Could not agree more - I have a fab 'older' lady with pure white hair, I set it and it looks like Marilyn Monroe's hair, she is my only setting client and I actually love doing her hair cos it looks so great when its done and nearly every client who see's her leave says I hope if I go grey it looks like that! To be honest it's not grey its more like platinum blonde.
Have what suits you, but make sure you are really looking at yourself when you decide...

Latest posts

Back