Look Magazine Article about Extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theextensionist

Reaction score
Was just reading the article in the look magazine about hair extensions and it made me a bit angry when they slander it so. They also don't seem to know what they are talking about saying there are only two types of permanent ones glue on ones and stitched ones. They even failed to mention that there are other options like micro rings to those afraid of heat and glue. The young lady that died, died from a latex allergy which is awful. But as extensionists we need to carry out proper consultations and skin tests to avoid this. And for people with glue allergy there is micro rings. It did however mention some good points about proper aftercare and going to a professional and avoiding cheap. There was a few good points about what to consider and that not all extensions are bad too. But it kind of annoyed me how they portrayed extensions making it seem super scary and that 10-20 people a year die from this they say but they are not very specific about what it actually is causing this, allergies or improper fittings or bad extensionists.
As i said it had some valid points but these types of scare articles are so one sided and they didn't seem to really know much about various options. Just wanted to know if any of you read this article and what you think?

Great opportunity to drop them an email stating some facts!
Could come in handy for your profile!:D

Definitely write to them and ask them to publish a further article that actually gives a balanced story. However, unfortunately, sensationalism is what sells so don't be surprised if they don't.

I've just posted on their Facebook wall enquiring xx

There was an article in the daily mail about the woman who died 'from hair extensions' they were stating that she died from a reaction to the latex glue, but the last sentence said that in the inquest they couldnt find out why she had died but the headline stated that she died from extensions. Absoultly riddicilous! Makes extensions look bad!

I just ignore things like that, if anyone brings it up to me i just say "how many people die each year from smoking or drinking? Yet people still do both"

As for damaging hair if you take acrylic nails off wrong you damage your real nails, if you pull fake lashes off you run the risk of pulling out real lashes. With most treatments people are told about correct aftercare and told to go to a professional for removal, yet obviously they know better then people who have spent time and money on training and years perfecting there technique and trying new products to find the perfect one.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back