Looking for some advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kim.ro18

Reaction score
Hiya, I was trained in college about 5 years ago, worked I. A salon for 2, and the last 3 I've been busy with weddings, moving and baby etc, and haven't done a thing of beauty.

My question is should I go back to college ad do another years course to get back in to it, do some courses, or get some refresher time with a trainer??

I remember all the techniques etc, but it's all the history, contra indications, and knowledge etc that I'm lacking on I've all my coursework that I could go through, and also I want to practise to get better.

Hi :) I am in the same situation as you! I have just booked on to a couple of short courses. I remember more from the theory side though. Hopefully these short courses help to bring it all back! I have been reading loads of useful threads on here and reading my case studies/portfolios. x

Hi :) I am in the same situation as you! I have just booked on to a couple of short courses. I remember more from the theory side though. Hopefully these short courses help to bring it all back! I have been reading loads of useful threads on here and reading my case studies/portfolios. x

What types of course have you gone for,I'm wanting mani/pedi and waxing, all I can do, But want to practise more and really want to train with Kim lawless too.

I'm worried to pair loads for training, and still. Of feel good at the end. Things like waxing, I'm fine with, I know most, reason I want to train ,is I hear Kim's the best, so be good for buisness.

Mani pedis, I hate, so want more confidence lol, also I forget about all the conditions etc, so got a lot of studying to do

I did my beauty training nvq 2 about 10 yrs ago, and never used it just consentrated on the hairdressing side, i now have a beauty room attached so have gone back to do it all again, it's only 10 months, so i thought might as well cover it all as things have changed and i need the refreshment lol. I was going to do individual days on what i needed, but would have cost me a fortune.:lol: By the way i'm loveing it xxx

What types of course have you gone for,I'm wanting mani/pedi and waxing, all I can do, But want to practise more and really want to train with Kim lawless too.

I'm worried to pair loads for training, and still. Of feel good at the end. Things like waxing, I'm fine with, I know most, reason I want to train ,is I hear Kim's the best, so be good for buisness.

Mani pedis, I hate, so want more confidence lol, also I forget about all the conditions etc, so got a lot of studying to do

I have decided to do waxing, massage and facials. I still do manicure and pedicures and I am fine with those. As well as lash and brow tinting/perming etc. Alot of it has come back to me and as you say alot of practising is going to have to be done! Its the lack of recent experience being in a working salon that worries me. What do do with a rude client or if someone complains! I have confident issues!

Its all very exciting! We will just have to do a lot studying and practice makes perfect doesnt it! I think once we get into it, it might be like riding a bike! Well I hope :)

Yeah exactly, I have the basic for everything, ill be offering facials, massag,evandvlash tints rtc too, togsevarevthingsvim fine with. But it's the one off things ,like if I have a pregnant client, whate can I do or not do, ifs just re iterating what I should know. I think ill gets my books out and have a read. And see if it comes back.

I forgot, I also want of add tanning,soo that's a course ill have to do. I'm not sure If I should start small, doing what I know first then add more, and retrain as I grow? Or offer all at reduced pricing, making clients aware I'm retraining?

I did my beauty training nvq 2 about 10 yrs ago, and never used it just consentrated on the hairdressing side, i now have a beauty room attached so have gone back to do it all again, it's only 10 months, so i thought might as well cover it all as things have changed and i need the refreshment lol. I was going to do individual days on what i needed, but would have cost me a fortune.:lol: By the way i'm loveing it xxx

did you have to pay to go back to re study, and did you have to do all the classes, or just the practical, or just the ones you wanted to do?, I can't, nor do not want to do a agony and physiology again, even though I loved it, I do not want that much work again, lol

Yeah exactly, I have the basic for everything, ill be offering facials, massag,evandvlash tints rtc too, togsevarevthingsvim fine with. But it's the one off things ,like if I have a pregnant client, whate can I do or not do, ifs just re iterating what I should know. I think ill gets my books out and have a read. And see if it comes back.

I forgot, I also want of add tanning,soo that's a course ill have to do. I'm not sure If I should start small, doing what I know first then add more, and retrain as I grow? Or offer all at reduced pricing, making clients aware I'm retraining?

Start small, maybe reduce prices while training, keep to what you know and slowly introduce more! I have just done a spray tan course!

Always think big and work towards new goals. We have all the knowledge in our brains somewhere! We will be fine!

Good Luck with your retraining and new ventures! :)

Start small, maybe reduce prices while training, keep to what you know and slowly introduce more! I have just done a spray tan course!

Always think big and work towards new goals. We have all the knowledge in our brains somewhere! We will be fine!

Good Luck with your retraining and new ventures! :)

Aww thank you, and you too

Latest posts

Back